Things STILL not fixed in Tiger

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Whenever I click on an AVI (though I'm not using Tiger) I get a message telling me that Quicktime cannot play this format and tries to update quicktime from some server. Any ideas?
  • Reply 22 of 29
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Whenever I click on an AVI (though I'm not using Tiger) I get a message telling me that Quicktime cannot play this format and tries to update quicktime from some server. Any ideas?

AVI support is much better with Tiger but depending on what it is encoded in you need to download the codec and some AVIs still won't play because some obscure or particularly old codec has been used.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Go to versiontracker.com and do a search for AVI or DivX. There are 1 or 2 codecs that you can install that allow Quicktime to open most AVI files. For the rest, try VLC (also found at versiontracker).
  • Reply 24 of 29
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I use VLC, it's a fantastic program. It's still annoying though that with the columns view when I click on an AVI it takes so long to tell me the same thing over and over again.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I've had ghost cursors show up on my second monitor. A second cursor just sits there until I move the cursor back to that monitor.

Previews of movies being downloaded keep flashing at each write. This may have happened in Panther, but I never witnessed it.

Icons still go under the dock when the dock is on the side.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Appletalk networking doesn't appear to work, even with 10.4.1. Yet the checkbox is still there in System Preferences, so I suspect they will get around to fixing it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Appletalk networking doesn't appear to work, even with 10.4.1. Yet the checkbox is still there in System Preferences, so I suspect they will get around to fixing it.

Is it enabled in Directory Access?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    cubist, the change is that Appletalk will only work over TCP/IP. I don't know why they did it and it has caused me a lot of grief, but it's the case.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Finder forgets that you have a SuperDrive...

Brand new PowerBook 15" with Tiger preinstalled. Inserted a DVD-R into the SuperDrive, told the machine to use the disc with Finder, and up popped the message "The disc could not be used because the disc drive is not supported. (Error code 0x80020025)"

I found a workaround, but it isn't pretty.

It's also showing a CDR icon while burning...

As mentioned earlier, ability to close Safari without warning when you have many tabs open is another thing I hope they fix.