17" PB with numeric key pad

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This would be soooooo wonderful! If compaq /HP can do it, whu can't Apple?

This would be so great. So great in fact that I am sure that Apple isn't even considering it....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    I can't wait for a 20" Powerbook that has both a QWERTY and DVORAK keyboard!
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Why can't Apple have a trackball and a touchpad? If Commodore can have a trackpad why can't Apple?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    Why can't the powerbook have one of those glass balls with the electricity in side of it and when you put your hands on it your hair stands up??!?!

That would be SOOOOO great it would blow Apple's mind!
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Why are there no "etch-a-sketch" wheels on the powerbook. That way you could control the mouse that way. It's so hard to draw straight lines with a trackpad. That would be great.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    A large keyboard doesn't look as good, and you're absorbing vital speaker space...

I'd prefer an iPod 3G style customisable area on the next PowerBook. Perhaps instead of the mouse button, so those that want the area to act as several buttons instead of the default one can alter it.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    I just want a sandwich bar. I love sandwiches and I'm always having a hard time coming up with one in short order. It seems to me there's plenty of usable counter space on the 17". I would settle for a salad bar, but it would be a reluctant compromise.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    the 17" DEFINITELY needs a trough on top with a cup holder on one side. Its perfect for cafeteria lunches so why get the tray when you could have all this built in? Actually, now that I think of it, just build in sections so you can get your lunch goop served RIGHT on the lid! And for those aspiring chefs, a set of free Ginsu Knives and removable cutting board top! YES!
  • Reply 8 of 51
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Oh come on, it's only 17". You'll only get the small set of 4 knives.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

I just want a sandwich bar. I love sandwiches and I'm always having a hard time coming up with one in short order. It seems to me there's plenty of usable counter space on the 17". I would settle for a salad bar, but it would be a reluctant compromise.

Dude, the new PowerBook G5 17" (dual-core) will be perfect for grilling pressed sandwiches...!
  • Reply 10 of 51
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    Oh great, it is the "I don't have a job, but I am going to show everybody what a smart-ass I can be" crowd.

Thanks for such insightful remarks. Next time, I will just wait for my dog to fart.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Talk about beating a dead horse. The joke got old at Danosaur's first post if it wasn't before that!

I would not be averse to seeing an ergo keyboard - for real - in the bigger Powerbooks. They have the space, after all. It would take some reprofiling of the edges.

A simple reason why numeric pad is not acceptable is that it forces the keyboard off center. This destroys *lap* usability and IMO hinders desk usability as well. I have long argued for keypad-less keyboards on the desktop.

Google for "usb keypad" and you'll find quite acceptable ones for $20.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

I'd prefer an iPod 3G style customisable area on the next PowerBook. Perhaps instead of the mouse button, so those that want the area to act as several buttons instead of the default one can alter it.

i must admit, you are really on to something here. a row of 3g style iPod touch buttons along the top of the trackpad would be sex. just sex.

and pbaker05, you asked for it.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    They could center it just like it is now. Probably a lost cause...

I'm sure that my slightly over zealous opening statement opened the door for buffoonery.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    It might be that there is no good way to profile the edges so that my ergo keyboard suggestion would be good.

In any case I think they should spread the keyboard out wider and deeper. Why are the F keys and Esc slim - this makes them more difficult to hit and activate accurately? Why is ctrl in an awkward location and so small? Why does fn have such a prominent, touch-typing convenient location when buttons like ctrl and option have worse ones? Why is space so wide, when you will always hit almost the middle anyway, and shortening it would put cmd and option in that much better locations? Why are there not two ctrl on bigger Powerbooks? (Same applies to opt in theory, but I think that one is used more with the mouse while ctrl is used while touchtyping.)

... end rant. I think these things are just common sense, and almost everything applies to 12", 15" and 17" alike.

Even if you had space for a numpad and could still keep the core keyboard exactly centered, I think that is a very low-percentage thing to put in there. Seeing how a USB keypad is $20, slim and fits easily in the smallest pockets of a laptop bag... how maybe 10% of users ever touch the keypad... and how right- and lefthandedness translates to mouse/numpad location, I think it's no use.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

Oh great, it is the "I don't have a job, but I am going to show everybody what a smart-ass I can be" crowd.

Sorry, but the fact is I haunt a lot of the more elite sandwich forums and the people there are so intimidating that I never feel comfortable talking about sandwiches. Admittedly, I talk about computers on those forums, which they don't know about, so I guess it only figures I'm going to jump at the chance on a computer forum where I feel inadequate talking about computers to plug something about sandwiches. My apologies. I will refrain from further sandwiching.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

They could center it just like it is now. Probably a lost cause...

I'm sure that my slightly over zealous opening statement opened the door for buffoonery.

It looks like you somehow stumbled into asshole central. Not quite sure how that happens. I guess school's out for the summer.

The computer I'm posting on is an HP lapyacht with a "full" keyboard. I agree with you. There's no reason note to have the numeric keypad. The internal speakers suck anyway, and I'd rather have the keypad.

And, to tell you the truth, it's something Apple may well do, especially as they're stuggling to add value to powerbook updates. The "scroll pad" feature is the case-in-point.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Who wants a rancid numerical keypad on their powerbook? If that ever happens I'm moving to Canada.

Just to give you an idea of how much your idea sucks, I have only made 11 posts in the past 4 years, and this one was crappy enough to make me reset my lost password, just so I could tell you how much it sucked. Please destroy your home with photon torpedos now.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Who wants a rancid numerical keypad on their powerbook? If that ever happens I'm moving to Canada.

Just to give you an idea of how much your idea sucks, I have only made 11 posts in the past 4 years, and this one was crappy enough to make me reset my lost password, just so I could tell you how much it sucked. Please destroy your home with photon torpedos now.

Yee-haaaa. LOL
  • Reply 19 of 51
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Seriously.. I really don't want 20 multi media buttons, 4-5 mouse buttons, a track point, small displays and controls that'll turn a PB17" into an enourmous MP3 player and an extended key board that'll place the ordinary to the far left so my hands get all misaligned to the screen.

And.. I don't want all those stickers that Wintel owners seems happy to collect.

Keep my PowerBook clean!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    the only thing i would change is the ... euuu

mmmmm NHAaaaa