in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
as styles change, apples designs will change

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blob

as styles change, apples designs will change

Hmm, a thread title would be nice. Good way to get yourself banned.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Hmm, a thread title would be nice. Good way to get yourself banned.

Welcome new member Blob, but please reread the posting guidelines. Thanks,

A q u a M a c
  • Reply 3 of 54
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Easy, now, I'm willing to bet he's used to a board where posts have titles, and he thought he was replying to an existing thread instead of posting a new one.

The board told him to put something in the title, and he didn't have anything, so he put a dot. Whoops.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Nonetheless, could be as good a Future HW thread as any.

Apple has a well earned reputation as a style setter. Do they change style or does style change them? Or better yet, does design change behaviour?

Good design works, lets you work, disappears, doesn't impose. I think so.

But Frank Llyod Wright was a good designer (architect) and you might say that some of his designs subjugated home owners especially. Accept it, submit to it, and suddenly the whole home makes sense.

Apple seems a lot like this to me.

On the one hand, a lot of stuff just works, lets you work, stays out of the way, and doesn't impose (think draconian DRM schemes)

On the other hand, you can have it any way you want so long as it's white. iProducts in particular seem to impose a heavy orthodoxy. The one-button (I tend to agree that it's best, and not exclusively for consumers either), the AIO concept...

The argument seems natural enough: curtail user error, encourage tool use and task completion, avoid dillution/distraction.

A good way to predict Apple design may be, if you can have a simple heuristic for this task, is to think about what's complicated, distracting, awkward, overwhelming and/or excessive in our lives/work, or what is about to become/becoming that way, and what kind of disciplines can be imposed to make it clean, safe, involving, transparent, efficient, satisfying?

Will an iMac/iPod/iBook look and feel different in response to what (impending) conditions?
  • Reply 6 of 54
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Apple has a well earned reputation as a style setter. Do they change style or does style change them? Or better yet, does design change behaviour?

Maybe it isn't even Apple so much as John Ive and what he feels at the moment. He doesn't seem very impressionable. At least in terms of the industry... though Steve certainly seems to make a big impression.

the legendary trip through Steve's garden and discussion of the g4 iMac comes to mind
  • Reply 7 of 54

Yep, waste of good thread space. I'd say IBL, but mods seem to be letting anything go these days.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Yep, waste of good thread space. I'd say IBL, but mods seem to be letting anything go these days.

You have to talk about religion to get a thread locked.

Now a rabbi, a priest and a shaman walked into a bar....stop me if you have heard this before....

• Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

But Frank Llyod Wright was a good designer (architect) and you might say that some of his designs subjugated home owners especially. Accept it, submit to it, and suddenly the whole home makes sense.

Apple seems a lot like this to me.

On the one hand, a lot of stuff just works, lets you work, stays out of the way, and doesn't impose (think draconian DRM schemes)

On the other hand, you can have it any way you want so long as it's white. iProducts in particular seem to impose a heavy orthodoxy. The one-button (I tend to agree that it's best, and not exclusively for consumers either), the AIO concept...

I think Apple products win on the "stay out of the way" end and let you do your work. I think ease of use is way most people who use Apple stay with Apple. I think most of your concerns have to do with the economic restraints of being a single vendor. There is only so much choice a singe company can offer and still make a profit.

I've been wondering what the next style/fashion Apple will adopt. Just went shopping at Target and saw a bunch of office stuff that matches the G5 towers perfectly. Aluminum is still in. Give it a color, but which one? Can't offer multiple colors because they don't sell enough. The whole silver/white combo works well and I think we're stuck with it for a while longer.

BTW-to Omega's post above- if you want to really lock at thread the proper tilte is: "The Pope vs. Darwin-who is correct?"
  • Reply 10 of 54
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    This is the second thread ina week without a title, is it the same poster?
  • Reply 11 of 54
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

This is the second thread ina week without a title, is it the same poster?

Why yes it is, imagine that.

"Please don't feed the trolls."
  • Reply 12 of 54
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Why yes it is, imagine that.

"Please don't feed the trolls."

Well, if it catches on, we might be able to make our browser windows narrower. We might even be able to read AI on a Treo. Let's have some guidelines, then."_" should be for any threads about the Apple Tablet. "(" should be for tablets whining about how PowerMacs are slower than PCs and cost more. ";" should be for threads asking when the iBooks will be updated. "@" should be for threads asking when the PowerBook G5 will come out. "^" should be for threads demanding Apple change to Intel CPUs.

That covers 90% of the threads here, and will make any interesting threads stand out.

Only problem is that, sometimes in the middle of an otherwise content-free thread, THT, Processor and/or Amorph (and sometimes Matsu or hmurchison) will contribute some genuinely interesting information, so I have to read all the threads to find it. So we need a "good content" flag, maybe a "*" appended to the thread title when there is a good post.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    Ban. Delete. Purge. Done. Mods, do you have the week off?
  • Reply 14 of 54
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Frank Lloyd Wright built beautiful houses which sucked to live in. Yes, he'd meet with the people who inhabited his buildings, and yes he'd design FOR them, but that didn't save his design decision's from being paternalistic.

The best quote I can't dig up quickly is in response to a question about the low ceilings in the Guggenheim Museum. "If the paintings are too large, cut them in half!"

Far better than Wright, Apple has done a great job of building aesthetic designs while staying true to the customer.

As for Blob's comment, "as styles change, apples designs will change", I make the following observation: No shit, sherlock.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Blob, please stick yourself in an oven asap.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Why did I use Wright, his ideas about accesibility to design, placement in the landscape, and especially some of his furniture designs and selections. I especially remember one table with raised corners/legs, higher than the table top itself -- not just a superfluous flourish -- it keeps people from having to sit at the corner at a dinner party. It imposes a discipline, but there's a logic too...
  • Reply 17 of 54
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

Frank Lloyd Wright built beautiful houses which sucked to live in.

Have you lived in one, or is this just something you learned through cultural osmosis? I wonder what you mean by "sucked to live in"... There's one not too far from me and I can tell you if it sucks to live in it, it sucks a lot more to live where I'm living. Maybe you're just making a nihilist philosophical statement: it sucks to live, period, even in a Frank Lloyd Wright House?
  • Reply 18 of 54
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

Have you lived in one, or is this just something you learned through cultural osmosis? ...

There are a lot of anecdotes. One I've heard was that an owner complained that the roof leaked on his chair, and Wright told him to move the chair. His arrogance is legendary.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

There are a lot of anecdotes. One I've heard was that an owner complained that the roof leaked on his chair, and Wright told him to move the chair. His arrogance is legendary.

Well I wouldn't quite say legendary, because I don't even know who he is. Is he dead now? I hope so.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Cretin. Even I know who he is, though it's mostly from coffee-table books, read at my leisure, usually on the throne...