Mac OS X 10.4.2 update to patch dozens of Tiger glitches

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

It's believed that Tiger users will be able to apply Mac OS X 10.4.2 to either Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.4.1.

No, I'm pretty sure it's only for OS9 users
  • Reply 42 of 58
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Umm it's softWARE .... And theres nothing wrong with comparing Apple's OS bugs to M$. Both have huge QA staff, they shouldn't miss stuff like the bugs reported. Period. (and if you have to ask, yes I work in Software QA)

I believe what kiwimac was trying to point out was that Windows has far more bugs than Tiger. I have used PCs for 20 years. I can attest to that. Microsoft Word alone had over 3000 bugs in it when it was shipped.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    well i always knew there was this 'keychain' thing in mac os but never really figured it out...

now though keychain access in 10.4.1 is pretty impressive, i am happy to share no bugs i have found...

i like the access control part to see what you've "allowed always" or just allowed once.... at a password-by-password level

well, a bit more peace of mind for me, a reliable system for remembering all those 10+ passwords if and when i forget them...
  • Reply 44 of 58
    lepton1lepton1 Posts: 1member
    I made the switch from Wintel to Mac ten years ago, reluctantly. At that time I was the only Windows guy working in an all Mac office (go figure). After my initial learning curve I found that the platform is just easier to use, and I was more productive.

Especially with the OS X environment, the stability of the platform AND the fact that I'm not constantly under attack from viruses is a tremendous benefit. I work in international trade now, in the world of graphics, so the Mac is especially important as a tool for reviewing graphics.

I've taken on an attitude of ABM (Anything But Microsoft) when it comes to selecting the applications I use. Because of MS's monopoly I am forced to use the Office Suite, and it is brittle. In fact MS applications are the single greatest source of application crashes on my system. Thankfully with Panther those crashes are isolated to the application and not the entire system.

Certain applications are mission critical to business today. For me Mail is one of those mission critical apps. I migrated to Mail when I bought Jaguar (from Netscape Communicator). I have been hoping and waiting for Apple to beef up this program to make it more stable and enrich the tools we need for more efficient use of time. From what I have read Tiger Mail is still not ready for use in my business, with numerous reports of inability to send or receive mail, etc.

I have now made it a habit to never upgrade to a new Apple OS until at least the second upgrade, to allow them time to work out the bugs. I monitor discussions at the Apple site and other forums like this to find out when the critical bugs have been addressed before I purchase and install.

While I certainly understand, as a business person, the need to release their product and follow up with upgrades, I also note that ANY upgrade has a cost in MY business. That cost is in terms of TIME and especially in terms of lost or corrupt data.

From what I have read, it seems that 10.4.2 will not address all the issues I think need to be addressed for me to install Tiger on our office platforms. I will likely wait for 10.4.3.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by krispie

ROFL! Ever used their appalling Minidisc kit?!

As I said this was a while ago. I was in advertising back then in the '70's. This was from Ad Age. Back then Sony had a rep of being highly reliable.

Things change.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlindingForce

And due to the fact Adobe likes to screw people over in not doing their own updates...just large ones you have to buy...well I don't have the money to deal with the BS.

Yeah what exactly is the deal with Adobe? to the casual observer appears that they have not updated any of their apps for Tiger? Am I wrong here? Judging by what I see posted in this forum and others (macintouch, macfixit etc.) Adobe's stuff is not playing nice with Tiger at all.

How can they do that? They've had access to high level developer info on Tiger for probably years and yet it seems they have done nothing with it.

Waitng for 10.4.3
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Yeah what exactly is the deal with Adobe? to the casual observer appears that they have not updated any of their apps for Tiger? Am I wrong here? Judging by what I see posted in this forum and others (macintouch, macfixit etc.) Adobe's stuff is not playing nice with Tiger at all.

How can they do that? They've had access to high level developer info on Tiger for probably years and yet it seems they have done nothing with it.

Waitng for 10.4.3

The only problem I've seen on someone else's machine with CS2 is that there is a problem installing if you have your drive set to "case sensitive". Many apps have problems with that as well. Perhaps Apple has not given developers enough time to deal with it.

Other than that, Adobe has been increasing their support for their suite applications such as Version Cue etc. If those are not installed or turned on, then some strange things might happen if you are doing something that depends on those actions that they provide. I woudn't call those things bugs. But Adobe should make their importance more clear than they have.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd like to see the Spotlight shell reprogrammed to not crash when I search for HTML tags.

And while we're at it, have an option to define new filetypes and categories in the preference pane. ie, be able to make a Spotlight category called OfficeDocs, and the have the file extensions .doc, .xls, .ppt, and the like to appear under that.

Also, if your application doesn't feature a MDImporter, allow us to specify which MDimporter Mac OS X should use, instead of not searching it. For example, I have HTML/PHP that opens in Dreamweaver, but I could specify the OS to open it as plain HTM document in Textedit to index it.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    i suppose you'd like 10.4.2 to make a gourmet mocha for you too, huh?
  • Reply 50 of 58
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

i suppose you'd like 10.4.2 to make a gourmet mocha for you too, huh?

With cinnamon sprinkled on top, please.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    jimhilljimhill Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I argue with some editors about the its it's its' thing as well. The " ' " implies possesive. Most times there's no problem with using the " ' ", but some editors think that it isn't "modern".

Sheesh. This has nothing to do with modernity and everything to do with correctness. Look at the simple possessives: my, your, his, her, our, their. Why on God's green earth do people think that an it-possessive would call for an apostrophe when none of the others do? Now look at the simple contractions: I'm, you're, he's, she's, we're, they're. Why on God's green earth do people think that an it-contraction would NOT call for an apostrophe when all of the others do?

I repeat: Sheesh.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Please people don't compair the bugs of Apple's softwear to those of Microsoft,....

you gotta consider that a mac is a package of hardware and software - where microsoft is just software. when comparing the two, you should hold apple to a higher standard where bugs should be minimal.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    jimhilljimhill Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

"It's" is always a contraction for "it is" in English. The possessive form in English is always "its". This is not a new phenomena in the language, either ...

It's also not new that "a phenomena" is wrong. Heh.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    alex3917alex3917 Posts: 32member
    My middle mouse button still doesn't work in dashboard widgets. This is frustrating, considering it is a logitech wheel mouse which is one of the most basic mouses you can get, and it is a classic favorite of computer users. (If anyone from Apple is reading this, the M/N is M-BJ58 and the P/N is 830718-0000)
  • Reply 55 of 58
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

The only problem I've seen on someone else's machine with CS2 is that there is a problem installing if you have your drive set to "case sensitive". Many apps have problems with that as well. Perhaps Apple has not given developers enough time to deal with it.

Well, people shouldn't be using case-sensitive file systems for anything but data (not for apps, the OS, or anything else), as most apps can't deal with case sensitivity. Of course, this all harks back to the idiot designers of Unix who thought it would be a great thing to be able to have files named "ReadMe", "readme", "README", and "Readme" in the same directory, and assume everyone knows which is which. Do you have a set of folders in your file cablinet named "Project X", "project x", "Project x", and "project X", and think anyone would know when you say "Hey, get me that Project X file" which one you're talking about?

Apple should be pushing people away from case sensitivity, not towards it!
  • Reply 56 of 58
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Well, people shouldn't be using case-sensitive file systems for anything but data (not for apps, the OS, or anything else), as most apps can't deal with case sensitivity. Of course, this all harks back to the idiot designers of Unix who thought it would be a great thing to be able to have files named "ReadMe", "readme", "README", and "Readme" in the same directory, and assume everyone knows which is which. Do you have a set of folders in your file cablinet named "Project X", "project x", "Project x", and "project X", and think anyone would know when you say "Hey, get me that Project X file" which one you're talking about?

Apple should be pushing people away from case sensitivity, not towards it!

You have to install ufs in order to get case sensitivity in OS X. OS X's default fs is hfs+ which is not case sensitive.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

You have to install ufs in order to get case sensitivity in OS X. OS X's default fs is hfs+ which is not case sensitive.

That's quite true. Nevertheless, there are quite a few "hobbiest " sites (is this a hobbiest site?) that are pushing its virtues, and quite a few people as a result upgraded with this. Apple IS pushing it, at the same time that they are saying not to use it if you don't have to. They want to be fully Posix compliant, as that will result in full portability with other Unix programs from platforms that are also fully Posix compliant, such as BSD, Solaris, etc.

However it can lead to trouble here, where most programs do not understand these protocalls. I suppose, in the long run, it will be a good thing. But Apple has to make it VERY clear that it will be a standards default for 10.5. That will give developers plenty of time to adjust. It isn't a big thing. It just has to be done.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    my dvd player "video color" feature gives garbled images

other wise no glitches in 10.4.1

and i am running 'screen spanning doctor' for ibook g4 933mhz to have screen spanning hack, so i'm willing to live with this 1 glitch i've "discovered" (or caused)