Will Longhorn blow away OS X?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    What I want to see is Apple advertise the hell outta 10.5 showing the OS in action, like MS did for XP.. tv commercials etc... Use ethe same marketing strategy in the mag ads and use it on TV. Maybe do the "tired of the blue screen of death scenerio" on TV. It pays to advertise as the old saying goes.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the most appropoe question is....

What will Longhorn do that Tiger can't?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghiangelo

WinFS is designed as a network search tool, not just a local desktop search app. i'm sure Apple is prepping future versions to have similar capability as WinFS.

WinFS will not be in the original release of Longhorn. It was pulled out and is now scheduled for a release some time in 2007.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Windows Fanboy #1 gives it a

• Reply 25 of 35
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Longhorn as Vaporware. Every time I read or hear about Longhorn, it seems M$ is taking out another feature. When and if this glorified XP SP3 shows up, it will just then be catching up to 10.3 IMO. Its entirely possible that by the time Longhorn comes out, we'll already be using 10.5.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    from Windows Super Site, regarding gui display graphics technology as compared to that used in Os X:

"...Longhorn will utilize a similar graphics technology, albeit a more powerful one, to display icons and other system graphics as vectors, not bitmaps. That means that Longhorn icons will look fantastic at virtually any size, on today's displays and on tomorrow's high-DPI displays..."

nice caveat. Paulie does this all through the site, admitting Os X is good but when Longhorn does it it's better. i have to admit the Aero Glass stuff is impressive, but i'd have to assume until the average Dell comes with a 256MB PCI Express graphics card it's not going to be viable for most users. i'm not sure about how much of an advantage Apple has. at best i see only a 2 year lead and it's sliding fast. the Os X experiment has been going since 2000 with Panther being the first fast and usable Os. now it is Tiger. MS could easily introduce a consumer desktop version of Longhorn at first as a kind of field test with a complete full blown version a year later that would be intended for enterprize refresh. the point here is that Apple may find itself playing catch up once again or, at best, sitting even. it's Os X Server that is the big deal breaker here. this is the Os that is going to push Apple forward.

in the meantime the task that awaits Longhorn is of a scale far greater than that intended for Os X.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Lonhgorn's Monad is alone better than anything in OSX.

• Reply 28 of 35
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ghiangelo

from Windows Super Site, regarding gui display graphics technology as compared to that used in Os X:

"...Longhorn will utilize a similar graphics technology, albeit a more powerful one, to display icons and other system graphics as vectors, not bitmaps. That means that Longhorn icons will look fantastic at virtually any size, on today's displays and on tomorrow's high-DPI displays..."

But when will 'tomorrow' come? I want high-DPI displays now...at affordable prices...not in 10 years. But Longhorn will be ready for those high-DPI displays in ten years from now...then again...so will OS X.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Longhorn has good steaks. I really like the filet mignon. What does that have to do with computers?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Lonhgorn's Monad is alone better than anything in OSX.

What's monad?
  • Reply 31 of 35
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m1911a1

Longhorn has good steaks. I really like the filet mignon. What does that have to do with computers?

Have you ever actually seen a longhorn? They are kinda scrawny. I'll stick with angus for my beef and Tiger for my computer operating system.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    m1911a1m1911a1 Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Have you ever actually seen a longhorn? They are kinda scrawny. I'll stick with angus for my beef and Tiger for my computer operating system.

Actually I was referring to "Longhorn Steakhouse".
  • Reply 33 of 35
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by m1911a1

Actually I was referring to "Longhorn Steakhouse".

OK. Despite the name, I am sure that they use a better breed of cattle than longhorn.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Lions wil have longhorns for lunch 8)
  • Reply 35 of 35
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

What's monad?

Longhorn FAQ

Managing systems and applications is largely about performing and automating useful administrative tasks. Learn about a revolutionary new task-oriented Automation Framework to generate "commandlets." Commandlets are surfaced as management APIs, Commands in a Next Generation Command Line Shell, and through GUI tools. See how a small amount of code can be turned into a rich and powerful set of commandlets and provide prescriptive guidance on modeling and naming administrative tasks. Repeated as ARC334R.

I'm joking about Monad being better than anything in OS X but from a geeky standpoint it's pretty cool for Teminal lovers.