Should Apple Release Limited Edition Machines?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Apple should keep the internals 'closed' (proprietary), but make the cases 'open' to whomever would want to design them, so long as Apple get's the same profit from the sale, whether it is an Apple design, or a 3rd party.

That way, designers can't compete on performance, only on looks.

SdC
  • Reply 22 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    BMW Z8, Dodge Viper, Mazda RX-7, Acura NSX, Volkswagen W12

Hmm, the only car you listed that is a truly 'limited edition' is the Z8, and that defintiely hasn't raised my awareness of BMW more than seeing a few dozen 3-series cars every day. The W12 on the other hand is a very rare item that barely anybody has seen...not the best way to promote your company, eh?

For those who have no idea what a W12 looks like:

<a href="http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2001/tokyo/highlights/h07-volkswagen-w12.html"; target="_blank">http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2001/tokyo/highlights/h07-volkswagen-w12.html</a>;

Vipers, RX-7s and NSXs are/were abundant and relatively affordable in the super car world.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>This could work. It could help in that it would elevate Apple's status from "nice stuff" to "holy !!!! nice stuff...wish I had more money".

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what a lot of people are saying about apple machines right now.

A 10000 dollar machine will kill apple. Even 3500 dollars withpout monitor is stretching it roght now (equals about 5000 dollars over here in Europe).
  • Reply 24 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    That W12 is HIDEOUS! Looks like a Lotus or some late-70's/early-80's James Bond idea of what's "cool".

And red to boot?

God I hate cars like that. Ugh.

Smells of English Leather, gold chains and "midlife crisis".

The Beetle kicks its ass in every department, IMO.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I think I'd take a W12 over a Beetle, thank you...

Ugly? Are we looking at the same car? Perhaps the gill treatment toward the front of the car, but everything else is pretty standard drool-inducing stuff.

Though if you really want one of those W engines, I guess the Passat W8 will be a more practical option. A mid-large sedan with 275 HP, 17 inch wheels, options out the wazoo...all for around $40K...Not bad.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by the Belgian waffle:

<strong>

That's what a lot of people are saying about apple machines right now.

A 10000 dollar machine will kill apple. Even 3500 dollars withpout monitor is stretching it roght now (equals about 5000 dollars over here in Europe).</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) Who said a limited edition/special edition had to be 10,000 dollars or even insanely expensive?

2.) Why would it kill Apple if they even did. High margin, low production computer. doesn't seem like a way to kill a company to me.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Eugene,

While I typically have the upmost respect for your posts, I must take issue with your car-related comments.

The Dodge Viper is in so sense a dime-a-dozen car. I see one maybe once every two weeks. Coming from Los Angeles, that is not a frequent siting. That point aside, you appear to be ignoring the value of such an image car to the Dodge line of cars. What other cars are released under the Dodge name? The Caravan, Intrepid, Rams, and so on. The majority of these offerings fall under $30,000. The Viper is a glaring anomoly in the Dodge stable, with a price tag of over $70,000. The purpose of the Viper never was to sell tens of thousands of copies, it was a means of increasing brand prestige. The very suggestion (by salesmen) the Intrepid comes from the same lineage of the Viper is a selling point. Also, it gives Dodge a risky, sporty image more successfully than any advertising.

As for the other cars I mentioned, the RX-7 was a $50,000+ car again in a lineup of relatively inexpensive cars. I'm not sure where you hang out, but I sure don't see a lot of them running around.

I mentioned the W12 as a different kind of example, as it is not yet a production car (and it's sounding like it never will be). But it just set numerous world endurance records, again bringing prestige to the VW brand.

At the risk of sounding rude, I have to say your comment about the Z8 was just nonesense. We all see 3-series all over the place. We also see Camerys, Accords, and F150s everywhere we look. That speaks nothing to giving their constituent brands any prestige. A car like the Z8 attracts big media attention (car magazines, movies, rap videos ), and reaffirms the BMW brand as makers of "dream cars." If all they made were 3-series, they would not sell as many as they do with cars like the Z8 in their lineup. It's all about image!

So............... this is a Mac board, right?

- Pook
  • Reply 28 of 28
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Hey Eugene!