17" PB with numeric key pad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    wienerdogwienerdog Posts: 35member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Who wants a rancid numerical keypad on their powerbook? If that ever happens I'm moving to Canada...Please destroy your home with photon torpedos now.

We don't want you - Canada's a photon torpedo free zone!
  • Reply 22 of 51
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Do people actually use the 17" in their *laps*? If not, it might not be as important whether the keyboard is totally centered.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Do people actually use the 17" in their *laps*? If not, it might not be as important whether the keyboard is totally centered.

I surely would like my keyboard right in front of the monitor, portable computer or not.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Seriously.. I really don't want 20 multi media buttons, 4-5 mouse buttons, a track point, small displays and controls that'll turn a PB17" into an enourmous MP3 player and an extended key board that'll place the ordinary to the far left so my hands get all misaligned to the screen.

And.. I don't want all those stickers that Wintel owners seems happy to collect.

Keep my PowerBook clean!

??? We're talking about a numeric keypad. You know, the kind with 17-21 keys that is on the right side on most keyboards.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Either that, or nearly everyone in this thread has no idea what they're talking about. Given that I design electronics products, I'll assume it's the latter. A numeric keypad would not affect the PB's asthetics, nor would it be hard to integrate. It would probably improve the asthetics, getting rid of those frivolous speaker screens and matching the width of the screen.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I have been in computing for around 30 years, and I have never had any use for a numeric keypad. Sure, I don't represent everybody. I suggest you take a survey...

Why couldn't the 17" be like the Mac Portable, and let people reconfigure the keyboard on the fly?
  • Reply 26 of 51
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I have been in computing for around 30 years, and I have never had any use for a numeric keypad. Sure, I don't represent everybody. I suggest you take a survey...

Why couldn't the 17" be like the Mac Portable, and let people reconfigure the keyboard on the fly?

Good point. I think the last time, honest to God, the last time I used a numeric keypad was 1996 to play a game called Centurion.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

I can't wait for a 20" Powerbook that has both a QWERTY and DVORAK keyboard!

a 20" PB? isnt that a lil big for a laptop?
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

a 20" PB? isnt that a lil big for a laptop?

I'm sure some people said that about the 17" too.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Good point. I think the last time, honest to God, the last time I used a numeric keypad was 1996 to play a game called Centurion.

Most people I know who deal with lots of number entry, either in calculations or whatever, are very happy with the numeric keypad. That's why it's there, and it has been noted by marketing experts that one of the reasons the mac did catch on as well as it should have is because Apple didn't release a numeric keypad for a while.

Maybe you should try the keypad. Using the keys above the letters is like biking when you can drive.

I also use the keypad extensively for Escape Velocity (classic, override, nova, etc). Not required, but if there were head-to-head net-play in EV, I think I could prove to any naysayers that it's a good control pad.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Most people I know who deal with lots of number entry, either in calculations or whatever, are very happy with the numeric keypad. That's why it's there, and it has been noted by marketing experts that one of the reasons the mac did catch on as well as it should have is because Apple didn't release a numeric keypad for a while.

Maybe you should try the keypad. Using the keys above the letters is like biking when you can drive.

I also use the keypad extensively for Escape Velocity (classic, override, nova, etc). Not required, but if there were head-to-head net-play in EV, I think I could prove to any naysayers that it's a good control pad.

Yeah, the game I played was pretty much exactly the same as EV, except not NEARLY as good or epic. I agree for data entry and whatnot, it's probably a good thing. But I never use a keypad anymore, and I really don't want one on my laptop. If you want one just buy an add-on or get a desktop, that's what I'm saying.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    You all know, you can get a numeric keypad for any USB-enabled laptop right?

Adesso makes one for 30 clams.

So does Macsense for under $10.00!

Why not just plug in one???
  • Reply 32 of 51
    onstageonstage Posts: 15member
    Plugging things in to a laptop is always a bad if idea - it becomes a desktop! My ibook G3 still functions, but at the expense of being connected to 2 harddrives, printer, scanner, card reader, wacom tablet, and (for my fiance) a full size keyboard. Trust me, I want a new PB with specs that allow me to eliminate as much of that stuff as possible!

john
  • Reply 33 of 51
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onstage

Plugging things in to a laptop is always a bad if idea - it becomes a desktop! My ibook G3 still functions, but at the expense of being connected to 2 harddrives, printer, scanner, card reader, wacom tablet, and (for my fiance) a full size keyboard. Trust me, I want a new PB with specs that allow me to eliminate as much of that stuff as possible!

john

But how often do you use a keypad? If it is that often, I would suggest a desktop or USB keyboard, or like I stated above, a keypad. For the majority of "portable" users, this is just not that needed. Sounds like your G3 iBook should've been a PowerMac G4 purchase instead, from all the devices you list, no? Those devices sure as hell are not portable.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

But how often do you use a keypad? If it is that often, I would suggest a desktop or USB keyboard, or like I stated above, a keypad. For the majority of "portable" users, this is just not that needed. Sounds like your G3 iBook should've been a PowerMac G4 purchase instead, from all the devices you list, no? Those devices sure as hell are not portable.

Onstage just got totally FACED by Rhumgod.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Of course, the Powerbook already has "Number Lock" which serves the purpose of a keypad. It just takes some getting used to.

But of course I would only ever be satisfied if the powerbook also had a "love meter."

COME ON APPLE THINK DIFFERENT. STOP BEING A "COLD AS A CLAM" AND START BEING "HOT TAMALE!!!"
  • Reply 36 of 51
    twomacstwomacs Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

A nemeric keyboard is a must if you spend your days typing numbers into spreadsheets and an external keyboard is no use if you use the PB on your lap on planes, trains and buses etc. Of course if you spend most of your time in word,internet or similar its not so necessary.

The powerbook has a numeric keyboard if you use f6 bloc num and it is better that nothing but it is not a solution.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    Quote:

But how often do you use a keypad?

I don't really see why people are AGAINST the idea of putting a keypad where there is currently nothing. So I guess the better question is "Do you care about the onboard speakers."
  • Reply 38 of 51
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    If Apple would put in a a numeric keyboard the main keyboard would have to shift to the left, that would be bad.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

If Apple would put in a a numeric keyboard the main keyboard would have to shift to the left, that would be bad.

Why? The 17" PB is more of a "portable" than a notebook. That is, it's a little bit too cumbersome to use on the lap.

With that said, I've used my 9.5lb HP lapyacht on my lap (for short periods of time) without too much issue. It has a numeric keypad, and, incidentally, a keyboard shifted to the left. Before condemning or praising a form-factor concern, you really have to try it. That's at least one thing I've learned from designing electronics devices that take human input.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    onstageonstage Posts: 15member
    Quote:

No Question - shoulda woulda coulda. Although at the time (four years ago) I genuinely needed a laptop and the ibook was the best I could afford. Since then my computing needs have changed drasticly! For the record, I never use the full-size keyboard, nor do I personally miss the numeric pad on the notebook. I just love the sleekness of a truly stand-alone device.

john