Virtual PC who uses it?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm wondering about getting Virtual PC. I have had older versions in the past and rarely used it. Although I had virtually no windows applications and I was a student. I'm about to graduate and I'm buying lots of software for my soon to be mine PM G5. I know I'm still a student and I can't think of any software I need on windows. If I buy it I still will not have any windows applications for it. Is it worth it just to be more compatible with the rest of the world?

So if you have Virtual PC do you use it and if so what for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I only seriously used VPC for two applications when I was in school. One application was SPIM (MIPS emulator) for my assembly class. So I was running an emulator inside an emulator. The second application was Tabledesigner for my database class.

VPC is really really slow, at least on my PBG4. I still have it installed, just in case (since I have it) but I haven't used it except for the cases I listed above. You should easily be able to do everything you want in OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Groover

I'm wondering about getting Virtual PC. I have had older versions in the past and rarely used it. Although I had virtually no windows applications and I was a student. I'm about to graduate and I'm buying lots of software for my soon to be mine PM G5. I know I'm still a student and I can't think of any software I need on windows. If I buy it I still will not have any windows applications for it. Is it worth it just to be more compatible with the rest of the world?

So if you have Virtual PC do you use it and if so what for?

The reason to buy Virtual PC is to run Intel-compatible software. If you don't have the software, then don't buy VPC. You are a Mac user. Buy Mac commercial software. Pay the shareware fee for Mac shareware. Use Mac freeware. It makes no sense at all to buy a Mac just so you can run Windows software slowly.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    It DOES make sense if you need to use software that is only on a PC. For instance, I like to use Bible Explorer but it only works on a PC so I use VPC and it works, albeit a bit slowly. I could use other Bible software ported for a mac but I just really like using Bible Explorer...

• Reply 4 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How does the latest version run on Tiger? And with Windows 2000 SP2? I have heard updating to beyond that SP slows Win2k. And just fyi for anyone, don't use XP unless you need to because it's much slower, and...doesn't add anything, except crap.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How does the latest version run on Tiger? And with Windows 2000 SP2? I have heard updating to beyond that SP slows Win2k. And just fyi for anyone, don't use XP unless you need to because it's much slower, and...doesn't add anything, except crap.

Well, I've been using Tiger and Windows XP on VPC 7 and it is slow. But I expect that and, frankly, I don't notice it being any slower than being in Panther; actually, it is a tad faster for me.