sharing powerbook's internet connection with xbox, how?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to share my wireless Internet connection from my powerbook to my xbox. I have the powerbook set up for ethernet sharing but I still can't get the xbox to connect. I read that some guy manually configured his ibook and xbox's ip addys but I don't know how to go about doing that. I also thought that maybe I need a crossover cable and not a regular rj45 ethernet cable but I don't really know.

If anyone has successfully connected from a mac to an xbox please let me know how you did it.

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    If you are trying to connect the xbox to the powerbook directly by ethernet cable you'll need a cross-over cable unless there is a hub or switch in between (i.e. you connect the powerbook to the switch and the xbox to the switch)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    alty127alty127 Posts: 55member
    Well I don't think it's the cable. I just tried a crossover cable and that still didn't do the trick. I have managed to find out what I need to enter in all the fields for the xbox to go on live but I get a DNS servers could not be reached error. When live runs is checklist it finds the cable and the IP (which I manually entered) and get to the 3rd part and the DNS is not resolved. I have entered my own dns codes, I just don't know.

In my network settings my Built-in Ethernets has a message that read as so "Built in Ethernet is currently active. Built in Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." and instead of having a green circle next to it there is a yellow one. I think this might be the problem. If I can get the Built in Ethernet to be green i think it will work. Any thoughts?

Matt
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I fixed the problem with the ethernet and i still have nothing. Has anyone ever done this who might be able to give me a hand. I don't know what I am missing.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

I fixed the problem with the ethernet and i still have nothing. Has anyone ever done this who might be able to give me a hand. I don't know what I am missing.

You are sharing "from" Airport "to" built-in ethernet in the Sharing->Ethernet panel?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Here is a thread form macosxhints where they have done it.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...41112101646643

reg
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yeah, I've been at that site already and still can't get anything to work. And yes I am sharing "from" Airport "to" built-in Ethernet.

I'm using a Microsoft wireless router if that may make some kind of difference. I don't know what?s going on.

I was kind of wondering if I were to get another wireless router and use it as an access point in the room where my xbox is could I plug an Ethernet cable into it and then into the xbox? This would eliminate the need for the powerbook and having to share a connection. But I don't know if u can do that.