Tiger on an older PowerBook?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I want to install Tiger on a 667mhz DVI PowerBook I know core image won't work that's fine what about the overall speed better or worse than Panther? I have 768mb of RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TekMate

I want to install Tiger on a 667mhz DVI PowerBook I know core image won't work that's fine what about the overall speed better or worse than Panther? I have 768mb of RAM.

I have that same model with 768MB RAM running Tiger no problem.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tekmatetekmate Posts: 134member
    Thanks for the reply.

How do you find the performance compared to Panther? I'm obviously not a gamer with this system I mostly use it for light web development and surfing.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by TekMate

Thanks for the reply.

How do you find the performance compared to Panther? I'm obviously not a gamer with this system I mostly use it for light web development and surfing.

I find it a lot quicker. Especially the SMB/CIFS support. The only issue I've had is with Safari. For some reason the scroll bars don't redraw themselves sometimes and parts of the page cover up the scroll bar. They redraw when you force them, like by grabbing the bar and moving it. But on their own, sometimes you can't even see that it's a scroll bar. Doesn't happen to me in other programs though.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Cool if I have time I'll do it this weekend thanks again. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pyr3

The only issue I've had is with Safari. For some reason the scroll bars don't redraw themselves sometimes and parts of the page cover up the scroll bar. They redraw when you force them, like by grabbing the bar and moving it. But on their own, sometimes you can't even see that it's a scroll bar. Doesn't happen to me in other programs though.

This happened to me while using Panther.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

This happened to me while using Panther.

It's happening to my now with Tiger, and it happens all the time though. Not just sometimes. :-\\
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Ok I installed Tiger and I am happy with the performance but I have one small problem it overwrote out the boot partition. I was dual booting with Ubuntu and now I can't boot Linux. I'll look at that later today or tomorrow.