17" PB with numeric key pad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I don't really see why people are AGAINST the idea of putting a keypad where there is currently nothing. So I guess the better question is "Do you care about the onboard speakers."

Yes, I do. They are cruddy speakers, I admit, but I think people should be bitching about better speakers, not cruddy numberic keypads.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Yes, I do. They are cruddy speakers, I admit, but I think people should be bitching about better speakers, not cruddy numberic keypads.

I suppose the real questions are:

1. what do you use a computer for?

2. Are you thinking about buying a PB 17?

3. Do you consider your computer usage central to the "professional" market that Apple tries to cater to with the PBooks?

If you answer yes to 2 and 3, then you are in the same position I am in. If not (and be honest), then it doesn't really matter whether or not you think the PB17 should have a keypad.

Speakers:

The AV bunch that Apple markets the PB17 to don't care about speakers too much since we tend to carry around headphones. Incidentally, most people these days who are in the market for the PB17 also have an iPod, and will almost always have some earbuds around. There's not much you can do to improve speakers when you're limited to a small, low-profile driver, although the 12" has decent sound from it's speakers that reflect against the monitor. It has been done, it can be done again.

Keypad:

The scientific bunch that Apple also markets the PB17 to would LOVE a numeric keypad. Running Matlab without one sucks, as does programming.

So my point, since the first post, is that not only would I like a keypad, but it would also be a big driver for sales. If you can really argue against that, then that's fine, but I haven't heard anything meaningful yet.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

but I haven't heard anything meaningful yet.

Off center keyboard. It would KILL productivity for far the most people who have used a laptop for more than a year.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:

I suppose the real questions are:

1. what do you use a computer for?

2. Are you thinking about buying a PB 17?

3. Do you consider your computer usage central to the "professional" market that Apple tries to cater to with the PBooks?

If you answer yes to 2 and 3, then you are in the same position I am in. If not (and be honest), then it doesn't really matter whether or not you think the PB17 should have a keypad.

Speakers:

The AV bunch that Apple markets the PB17 to don't care about speakers too much since we tend to carry around headphones. Incidentally, most people these days who are in the market for the PB17 also have an iPod, and will almost always have some earbuds around. There's not much you can do to improve speakers when you're limited to a small, low-profile driver, although the 12" has decent sound from it's speakers that reflect against the monitor. It has been done, it can be done again.

Keypad:

The scientific bunch that Apple also markets the PB17 to would LOVE a numeric keypad. Running Matlab without one sucks, as does programming.

So my point, since the first post, is that not only would I like a keypad, but it would also be a big driver for sales. If you can really argue against that, then that's fine, but I haven't heard anything meaningful yet.

I use my 15 inch, soon to be sold an upgraded to a 17 when the G5's come out (yeah yeah, I know it will be a while), to run Reason 3, Pro Tools, Live, and various other this and that's having to do with Audio. Yes, I have a pair of headphones that are professional qaulity, as well as some decent studio qaulity monitors, but I don't use them when I'm not listening to music or fooling around with my audio apps. Still though, you can't totally eliminate speakers from a laptop. Well I guess if they included a pair of those nice ipod buds with every laptop, that would work, but they won't do that because it would just be too cool. And as others have said, I don't see how they can add a keypad in without off-centering the keyboard (which is just plain unacceptable), I like my powerbook the way it is, perfect. It's the best computer I've ever owned hands down. This is the first time I've heard of anyone asking for a numerical keypad on a powerbook, and at the school I attended where 90% of the students have powerbooks or ibooks, no one has ever complained about this "missing" piece.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Off center keyboard. It would KILL productivity for far the most people who have used a laptop for more than a year.

Have you used a laptop with an off center keyboard? If not, you're just speculating. I have one, and it really doesn't make a big deal. Having the numerical keypad, though, makes it great for MATLAB, or any time I need to type in numbers/coordinates. I'm surprised that none of you guys type in numbers to specify line widths, color values, X-Y-Z coords, or etc.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:

Have you used a laptop with an off center keyboard? If not, you're just speculating. I have one, and it really doesn't make a big deal.

Yes, I have, and besides being annoying, it looks like crap.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Yes, I have, and besides being annoying, it looks like crap.

What model do you have?
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:

What model do you have?

I don't own one.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have used one. Many times. And it throws me off every time (and its owner).

The 17 inchers primary crowd is someone who need the screen real estate and that is almost surely not someone using mathematical programs (notice I don´t say noone who are using mathematical programs uses the 17 incher, merely that the percentage is probably in the very low end compared to other macs)
  • Reply 50 of 51
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    Why don't you just use a calculator?
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Why don't you just use a calculator?

Or an abacus after peak oil comes along.