The "WWDC Speculation" Thread

Comments

• Reply 261 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

This has to be the weaskest pre-week before a big event I have ever seen...

I guess its time for me to migrate over to current hardware and OS X discussion boards.

Cheer up!

My feeling is that we are going to be blown away by the announcements next week. Is a good thing that's very quiet out there. Apple probably increase the pressure or/and fired the informants. That's why we have not heard anything lately. We have to be positive. if not, then we are f...ked
  • Reply 262 of 294
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    So let me get this straight...

Either things are going to be good, or they are going to be bad.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for us.
  • Reply 263 of 294
    jackojacko Posts: 1member
    Since it's the year of HD, I'm waiting for the first HD capable apple laptop. I think it would be a decent offering since I doubt there will be a G5 powerbook. Besides, they already let the cat out of the bag about a future 17 inch laptop with higher resolution when the apple help documentation mentioned the 1920x1200 resolution. They should step up to the plate with the whole resolution independence issue they introduced last year: Higher resolution, and all widescreen.

I hope they also put out a widescreen 12/13 inch powerbook. They need another way to distinguish the consumer from the pro-laptops. Some of the compact laptops from sony and compaq already have better screens and better packaging than apple's current small models. A tiny widescreen powerhouse would get a lot of attention I think.

One more thing... Maybe we'll get rid of the damn one button mouse: cross the clickable scroll-wheel with a smooth apple mouse and voila! Gentlemen, I give you.... the scrolling wheelmouse.

• Reply 264 of 294
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jacko

One more thing... Maybe we'll get rid of the damn one button mouse: cross the clickable scroll-wheel with a smooth apple mouse and voila! Gentlemen, I give you.... the scrolling wheelmouse.

Otherwise known as an ergonomic nightmare.
  • Reply 265 of 294
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So let me get this straight...

Either things are going to be good, or they are going to be bad.

Well, thanks for clearing that up for us.

Let's put this way: It's going to be good!

Apple has not another alternative. Their laptop line up is not that great. Their latest Powermac update = minor. So the only good things happening in their front now are ipods, Imac and Macmini.

That's why I am optmistic about Monday.
  • Reply 266 of 294
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

... Computers need to become smaller. G5s are just too big. Something like the Cube is ideal with beefed up networking and access to beefy storage containers on the network.

Back OT...i'm sure there will be some surprises at WWDC that we aren't privy too. ...

In the old days (1980's 'til now) we had desktops. Then we had notebooks for portability, at the sacrifice of power.

Let's take that a step further. Could notebooks be further downsized for most home users? And would that be especially attractive if home users had a super-duper server at home?

Everyone talks about a "media server", but that's only half the equation. You don't carry a media server around with you. No, you carry a media player around with you. Up 'til now, that's been an iPod. But that's pretty limited.

Why not a media player that's more like the Sony PSP or the recently-announced-but-not-yet-available Nokia Linux device thingy? Larger than an iPod, smaller and thinner than an iBook. The rumored "tablet". Unlike a Windows tablet, it would be much smaller and lighter.

The Media Player wouldn't need a media drive (CD/DVD) because your Media Server would have that. The Media Server handles ripping and burning and has gigs of disk space. Your Media Player has a small hard drive, and syncs up with your home directory on the Media Server. So the Media Server is the base station and the Media Player is the portability aspect. (Think of those cordless phones with the big base station and a bunch of optional phones that can connect to it. Each family has a single media server, and mom, dad, and each kid has his or her own media player.)

The Media player is a content consumer (web surfing, iTunes, iPhoto, videos, PDFs, light word processing) whereas the Media Server is a content creator (iMovie, iDVD, databases, etc.).

Do desktops and notebooks make sense for home users anymore? Or is it a media server/media player world now?
  • Reply 267 of 294
    The Media Server is not only a content creator, it's also the DRM master. You download songs and videos from the iLife Store with, say, a 3-user license. Then mom and Janey can download the yoga video you just purchased onto their media players and "check out" 2 licenses from the media server. Meanwhile Dad and Junior download the latest smash-em-up movie onto their media players and check out 2 licenses for it.

Now, everyone has their own temporary copy and it's fully legitimate. If Dad and Junior both want the yoga video, only 1 license is left, so they'll have to duke it out to get that last license. Or when Mom's done watching it 500 times, she can delete her copy and "check in" her license so Dad can use her license.

So the media server is the master hub for data ripping, burning, downloading, and DRM.

My wife used to joke about "the server in the basement", but it may actually be under the TV.
  • Reply 268 of 294
    krf68krf68 Posts: 2member
    Did any of you hear about a this new monitor with a new stand???
  • Reply 269 of 294
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [Cartman]LAME[/Cartman]
  • Reply 270 of 294
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

The Media Server is not only a content creator, it's also the DRM master. You download songs and videos from the iLife Store with, say, a 3-user license. Then mom and Janey can download the yoga video you just purchased onto their media players and "check out" 2 licenses from the media server. Meanwhile Dad and Junior download the latest smash-em-up movie onto their media players and check out 2 licenses for it.

Now, everyone has their own temporary copy and it's fully legitimate. If Dad and Junior both want the yoga video, only 1 license is left, so they'll have to duke it out to get that last license. Or when Mom's done watching it 500 times, she can delete her copy and "check in" her license so Dad can use her license.

So the media server is the master hub for data ripping, burning, downloading, and DRM.

My wife used to joke about "the server in the basement", but it may actually be under the TV.

Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!

Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple. I await your further contributions to the forum.
  • Reply 271 of 294
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bikertwin

Hmm nice.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple.

Actually it's very Sony. They had this idea for music some 5+ years ago. You ripped you music in DRMed ATRAC3 and you would use their software to "check out" tracks. You could check each out 3/5 times (can't fully remember), and had to book them back in.

Unfortunately they didn't succeed. Funny really, when talking on the subject of Apple's success to friends, I nearly always mention how close Sony were to doing it:
    • superior ATRAC3 music format (compared to MP3)

• decent looking players (well I thought)

• decent navigation (on the player I have it was exactly the same as the ipod acts, only with fewer songs. hell they even had the jog dial wheel on the side to scroll with, like Apples wheel, but physical and not as funky)

IMO, their only failing was the complete lack of MP3 support up until a year ago. If they built MP3 support into them, they would have done it... They must be kicking themselves.

I would suggest Apple have noted Sony's failure and examined this checking in/out feature, I seriously doubt it's gunna happen though.

PS. Anders, that post about the iPods in the sick bags was hilarious
  • Reply 272 of 294
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    look mateys, something is definitely up. it would be too much of a let down and too much of a waste of a good event to not have something impressive.... it's coming, we just got to weather the quiet long weekend

now wheres that sick bag...

ps

i'd like to see phil give steve jobs a 'piggy back' around the stage as steve says "i've been trying to help phil with his weight loss goals"
  • Reply 273 of 294
    Quote:

Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!

Your license check out scheme is pure brilliance and very Apple. I await your further contributions to the forum.

Ha ha, you make me laugh, Ensign Pulver! Glad I can contribute.

What I posted is definitely not insider information, since I don't live anywhere near California and don't deal with Apple distributors, marketers, etc. It's more what I'm hoping for, rather than what I'm expecting. The media server/media player integration just sorta occurred to me after digesting a bunch of sources:

* AI and various other rumor sites (although there hasn't been much lately!)

* A number of interesting posts here

* Rumors of an Apple personal organizer that was cancelled by His Steveness at the last minute

* Hints of a user/home directory syncing ability in Tiger

* General syncing improvements in Tiger

* Pen interface in Panther/Tiger

* "The year of HD" comment at MWSF

* Rumors on some guy's blog last week about a widescreen PDA/tablet

* The general promotion and failure of Windows Tablet and Windows Media devices (Steve often learns from others' mistakes)

* My wife and I seeing a Windows tablet device at a coffee shop a few weeks ago, and thinking with some Apple-ization that it might be kinda cool

* My own needs. I just sold my Lapzilla because it was too big and yet not powerful enough for making a lot of iPhoto DVDs. I want power and portability, so the perfect compromise would be a media server and a media player (in the meantime I bought a discontinued dual G5 2.0). I also have an almost-dead Sony Clié, and I realized I needed a portable device that also had input (i.e., my iPod mini's read-only interface for notes and contacts can't replace my Clié). I also want something that syncs with Address Book better, including syncing address book *groups*.

* PalmOne's overpriced Tungsten E2 (they raised the price 50 bucks and added Bluetooth after 18 months of development? I'm not impressed)

* Nokia's nifty new widescreen Linux thingy ( http://www.nokiausa.com/770 ) (only $100 more than the Tungsten E2 and way cooler and more useful)

* MacsimumWhatever.com's "Neo" columnist (although he's far too long-winded; I've never gotten more than half way through any of his/her articles!)

* Cringely's take on the iTunes store selling movies

* Dealing with Rational ClearCase at work, where you check things in and out; and realizing where Hollywood will want to take DRM in the coming years (not that I agree, mind you, but knowing what's probably going to be shoved down our throats...)

It all kinda fits together. Sorta.
  • Reply 274 of 294
    evilcatevilcat Posts: 8member
    New hardware in only 2 words.

ipod video.
  • Reply 275 of 294
    ALL YOUR HIGH DEFINITION ARE BELONG TO HOLLYWOOD
  • Reply 276 of 294
    Quote:

......A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!.....

ROFLMAO....

bikertwin, i actually just read your idea, i say it is da bomb yo...!!

remember the NetworkComputer? (oracle IIRC)

thin (clients) is IN again !!
  • Reply 277 of 294
    Quote:

Welcome bikertwin, and thank you. A novel, intelligent, well thought out and properly spelled AI post? You MUST be new!.....

look, if you want to get to Senior Member status and have 1500++ posts like some of us, you cant always be posting novel, intelligent, well thought out and properhly sppelled posts rite??
  • Reply 278 of 294
    cesarcesar Posts: 102member
    here is my list

- Webobjects upgrade

- xsan 1.1

- ARD 3.0?

- Quad-processor xserve

- bigger harddrives in xserve raids

- upgrade in Powerbooks

- new Ipods

- sneek preview of new technologies from apple...
  • Reply 279 of 294
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Perhaps all we'll see is software this time around?
  • Reply 280 of 294
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bucci

Perhaps all we'll see is software this time around?

Or perhaps Steve will start using a new color for his mock turtleneck?

or not....