wireless question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to get another wireless router and use it as an access point. I was wondering if you could plug an Ethernet wire into the wireless access point and then into a computer or xbox. The idea is I want to connect a non-wireless device to the access point with an Ethernet wire. Can this be done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alty127

I want to get another wireless router and use it as an access point. I was wondering if you could plug an Ethernet wire into the wireless access point and then into a computer or xbox. The idea is I want to connect a non-wireless device to the access point with an Ethernet wire. Can this be done?

Assuming your "access point" is also a "wireless router"

with Ethernet out, which you claimed it is, than prolly no prob.

Just a hunch. I don't know why it wouldn't work. I believe "router"

implies "routing the signals", WiFi or Ethernet doesn't matter.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    alty127alty127 Posts: 55member
    Yeah, I thought that it would work as well. I really can't see why it wouldn't. I don't have the second router yet. Before I got another I wanted to check and make sure it would work.

At the moment I have a Microsoft router, do you think I would have to pick up the same router in order to get the best results? Or will any other wireless router work?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Short answer: YES!

I do have your ideal setup with a wireless router but also an access point and it can work like you want.

The Wireless Routers will work with ethernet connections too but Wireless Access Points DO NOT. Access points only convert ethernet to wireless and do not contain a switch for extra ethernet ports while routers have more advanced controls and usually built-in switches.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    alty127alty127 Posts: 55member
    I guess what I am after is the same type of wireless router I have right now. On the router configurations I can tell it to be an access point, so if I were to buy a similar wireless router and tell it to be an access point then I would have 5 Ethernet ports that could be used for non-wireless devices.

The only reason I would like to do this is to get my xbox hooked up to live. I have been trying for the past few days to use my powerbook to do this, but no luck. I figured since I don?t get a get signal in my room where my powerbook is if I get another wireless router for my room I can not only get connected to live but boost the wireless signal for my powerbook.