Jobs IS a trouble maker

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
My personal suspision is this:

Steve Jobs, after getting fed up with all these leaks about Apple products, has started to have fun himself planting false alarms all over. For instance, if you have this big thing coming out...persay a new IBM chip (in this case for WWDC I dont think we'll be seeing a new IBM chip, but just take the example) then you'll want to steer everybody's focus in the opposite direction...Intel chips.

As far as intel chips go...I think it's to early for Apple to announce a switch to Intel. Apple has its computer line up spread amongst two chips right now, and to announce that a third chip would be phased in and phased out would be suicide. In addition, Apple dosn't make announcements about future things this big at expos...that is unless they are announcing a "new and huge" hardware thing to go along. It's anti-clmiatic for Apple to do things that way, and they would be much better either giving a small press release later, or anouncing hardware with it at something like WWDC, but seeing as its almost deff. to early for Intel hardware on Apples part, that seems impossible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Monday you'll see the Intel on stage at WWDC ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 14
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Time will tell I guess. I also think it's too early, but there's nothing that says they couldn't have been planning this for a while.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    This WWDC has been engineered through the press, as pawns, to evoke the strongest emotional response possible from Apple's followers. You can bet that what we see there will not be what we are focusing on now.

Having seen the other side of the tech rags for another industry, don't bet for a moment that many of them aren't just shills for their advertisers.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    After the constant screwing by Motorola and the shaft by IBM its about Time. Both Moto & IBM has hurt Apple big time through the years with fairy tales spin and lies. This will be a Brite day for Apple because they wont have to dick around with these guys anymore. This crap of shoving 2 cpu's into a Mac and saying its as good as those single CPU's from AMD/Intel are almost over IBM and Motorola both suck! Good ridence to them and their Stagnated crap. Jobs is doing something he should of a done a long time ago like when Moto was stuck at 500mhz for years... and now IBM doing the same.....IBM/Moto are the troublemakers and have been for freaking years.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

After the constant screwing by Motorola and the shaft by IBM its about Time. Both Moto & IBM has hurt Apple big time through the years with fairy tales spin and lies. This will be a Brite day for Apple because they wont have to dick around with these guys anymore. This crap of shoving 2 cpu's into a Mac and saying its as good as those single CPU's from AMD/Intel are almost over IBM and Motorola both suck! Good ridence to them and their Stagnated crap. Jobs is doing something he should of a done a long time ago like when Moto was stuck at 500mhz for years... and now IBM doing the same.....IBM/Moto are the troublemakers and have been for freaking years.

Two years ago it was Motorola the bad and IBM the saviour, now they are both bad and Intel will save us. On the other hand, on the PC side most think that Intel sucks and AMD rules. I think you all need a reality check.

In the meantime the past years every major console maker is opting for a RISC platform because of its design benefits (PowerPC by the way). I cannot think that its worth dumping an architecture like that just because of the megahertz myth. All microprocessor manufacturers have hit the wall lately in terms of speeding their CPUs the conventional way (higher clock speeds). The industry is on a transition now to a different design methodology which is more parallel like, multicores. Now what a better place to be with a RISC architecture, which by its design simplicity benefits most. And it looks like the PowerPC leads this design paradigm as well with the Cell processor...

The PowerPC through IBM and Motorola has also led in many innovations in terms of manufacturing processes like SOI or designs like Altivec etc. Intel on the other hand seems to excel in volume production. In that respect, I think the Mac platform is safe where it is and with the volumes they do.

Now if the rumors where more like 'Apple to embrace the Intel architecture', instead of 'dumping the PowerPC for Intel', that wouldn't be that bad. In my ears it would mean Apple is after the Wintel market with MacOS X. Instead of one or the other that we are all concerned now (shall we stick to PowerPC or move to Intel/AMD), it gets the ultimate switchers campaign. You don't have to buy a Mac to try OS X, you can buy a PC and run OS X, when you realize what you were missing you can buy the Mac and reap all the benefits of the superior Apple package (with PowerPC architecture).

All these rumors are based on the assumption that the Intel/AMD chips are way faster than the PowerPC ones, just because of the framerates of Doom III and the likes, or benchmarks based on different operating systems. The reality is that Apple only knows the truth, as they are the only ones to run MacOS X on Intel on their labs. But somehow deep inside me I get the feeling that their tests show that the PowerPC is way better for MacOS X.

For me Motorola seems to take care of the microcontroller part of the PowerPC architecture, leaving on IBM the computer side (server, desktop and consoles). I'm sure that soon we will see the new fruits of the multicore PowerPCs, and all will clear up.

To switch the architecture has to be another reason than the perception of speed. When the 68K reached the end of the road and a switch was inevitable, still Apple prefered to go with something new from scratch than x86, and that tells a lot. So if PowerPCs are still there that means no switch, otherwise we see...
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    As someone said in another thread: Intel make far more than just processors. Apple are not asking intel for desktop chips, just new ARM processors for the iPods etc.

Also, Intel can make PowerPC processors as well, can they not? It is probably more likely that Intel would make a PowerPC processor for Apple rather than Apple deciding to switch to x86. (Which by the way, is a retarded idea, as Apple has had to cope with the new G5, and OS X, which were huge transitions, another would be too costly, too annoying, and very unnecessary).

At the end of the day, this is all a load of BS. Who wants to bet we'll see nothing Intel processor related at WWDC? I do.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    a pda/cellphone combo called the FigNewton
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

a pda/cellphone combo called the FigNewton

iPod/cell phone/electric shaver/bottle opener/Pez dispenser
  • Reply 9 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

My personal suspision is this:

Steve Jobs, after getting fed up with all these leaks about Apple products, has started to have fun himself planting false alarms all over. For instance, if you have this big thing coming out...persay a new IBM chip (in this case for WWDC I dont think we'll be seeing a new IBM chip, but just take the example) then you'll want to steer everybody's focus in the opposite direction...Intel chips.

As far as intel chips go...I think it's to early for Apple to announce a switch to Intel. Apple has its computer line up spread amongst two chips right now, and to announce that a third chip would be phased in and phased out would be suicide. In addition, Apple dosn't make announcements about future things this big at expos...that is unless they are announcing a "new and huge" hardware thing to go along. It's anti-clmiatic for Apple to do things that way, and they would be much better either giving a small press release later, or anouncing hardware with it at something like WWDC, but seeing as its almost deff. to early for Intel hardware on Apples part, that seems impossible.

If this is even remotly true the SEC would be all over him for fraud
  • Reply 10 of 14
    orbitpinkorbitpink Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If this is even remotly true the SEC would be all over him for fraud

No, because Steve has Ehrlichman and Haldeman working for him, figuratively, of course.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    intel is the suX0saur0z r3x of the CPU game

Jobs doesn't get down like that

never no way
  • Reply 12 of 14
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Look. I don't know either way either, but Apple's software is pretty cutting edge, and the hardware is holding them back. Back in terms of sales and technology. Desktop sales of their flagship product are weak (or so I gather) with no end in sight. We keep hoping IBM will develop some newer, smaller, tech-er SOI Low-K whatever-the-fuck process, but obviously whatever they are doing isn't good enough or nearly fast enough for Apple or their consumers (besides the koolaid drinkers among us). What if the next process shift yields 2.9Ghz CPUs? Run as hot or hotter? Apple clearly have a better idea of what's in the pipeline from IBM, Freescale and Intel. If they choose Intel, they clearly have very good reasons that exceed the pain/work of switching platforms.

Think how f&ing fresh Apple computers will be when BOTH the hardware and software are cutting edge, trick and hella fast? When powerbooks DON'T HAVE A 166MHz BUS strangling the anemic 1.x gigahertz G4 from Freescale, and better battery life, and crazy wireless options, and are cheaper than they are now. Think about the possibility of buying any graphics card and having it work with your desktop machine, instead of rare, expensive versions of some cards, that for unexplained reasons have weaker framerates than x86?

OSX will be the same as it is now, but much faster.

I think this could end the griping of processing power AND achieve x86 parity (obviously) AND boost sales tremendously. Also, if Apple laptops can dual boot windows and OSX, this is a great migration tool for first time buyers, and will 9000% increase powerbook sales. You just know every PC nerd out there would have a Powerbook if this was the case. Apple's hardware is pimping, at least on the outside. PCs have no equivalent of Apple's pimping hardware.

If Intel have some trick processors in the works, Apple would be missing the boat by not migrating. Intel laptops are already CPU superior to Powerbooks with their Centrino.

Moreover, Apple would be competing with M$ on their home turf, with a vastly superior OS, and a design and aesthetic that roxXors Dell's boxers.

Sad, but Intel innovate at a much faster pace than either IBM or motorola, as they have a much larger market with vastly larger ales to be had. The financial incentive to stay on top is greater for Intel, than IBM producing niche processors for Apple in their spare time.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

After the constant screwing by Motorola and the shaft by IBM its about Time. Both Moto & IBM has hurt Apple big time through the years with fairy tales spin and lies. This will be a Brite day for Apple because they wont have to dick around with these guys anymore. ...

Sad thing is that this post reads just like all the posts when Apple moved from Motorola to IBM. IBM was the savior. That was then. If all this is true, I'll save my optimisim until I see proof of benefit.

Anyway, the rumors state that the focus starts on the low end, not the high end.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Sad thing is that this post reads just like all the posts when Apple moved from Motorola to IBM. IBM was the savior. That was then. If all this is true, I'll save my optimisim until I see proof of benefit.

Anyway, the rumors state that the focus starts on the low end, not the high end.

The fact remains the G4 was hammered by Intel & AMD and is still stuck and the G5 isnt much better. Apple had to slap on a radiator to get to 2.5 ghz and it still has to use 2 Cpu's when most otherfolks get the job done with one. Apple by doing this is no longer stuck behind in performance waiting waiting and waiting on the likes of Motostink and you are to small for us IBM. This is Great news! No more motostagnation or IBM lies. Its about time we had the fastest hardware plus no more spin on the Doom3 benches like we are getting 50 fps on our dual 2.5 G5 but we have shadows turned off and its at medium settings.....