Stupid Mac OS X internet connection problem

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lately I've been having the problem of a random disconnect from the internet. I'm using an Airport Extreme card and a Netgear wireless router. Every now and then, my computer will stop being able to load pages, even though I'm technically connected to the network with full bars. When I restart my computer, it works again.

What gives?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Is this a new setup, or has it been running OK for a while and just recently started having problems? Is your Mac in a fixed location or is it a mobile laptop? Which MacOS version are you running?

It could be interference from a 2.4MHz phone, microwave oven, or another nearby wireless router on the same channel. Next time it happens, launch Terminal and ping your router. Look for dropped packets as you ping: interference can cause packet loss that isn't always obvious from the number of bars you see in your AirPort icon. Dropped packets can make Web activity come to a grinding halt.

You can also download a "stumbler" program (MacStumbler, iStumbler) to see if there are any nearby wireless networks on your channel that might be causing a conflict.

There's still a lot of voodoo in wireless networking. Just try one thing at a time until things improve. Oh, and sacrificing a goat often helps, too.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    ive been having that same problem with at least 2 of my computers that i know of.. one with ethernet and the other with older airport.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I had the same problem with my netgear wifi router (MR314). It is a known problem that netgear refuses to acknowledge.

Solution: Switched to another brand and everything works perfectly.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Lately I've been having the problem of a random disconnect from the internet. I'm using an Airport Extreme card and a Netgear wireless router. Every now and then, my computer will stop being able to load pages, even though I'm technically connected to the network with full bars. When I restart my computer, it works again.

What gives?

have you tried rebooting the router??? sometimes when my speedy internet gets sluggish... i always try rebooting the router and that usually fixes the internet problem...

good luck
  • Reply 5 of 8
    blennyblenny Posts: 1member
    Placebo,

Which Netgear router are you using?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

There's still a lot of voodoo in wireless networking. Just try one thing at a time until things improve. Oh, and sacrificing a goat often helps, too.

• Reply 7 of 8
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    I could absolutly be wrong on this but i think my teacher had the same problem and he figured it out.

If you use DSL, it needs to authenticate via PPPoE and it needs to reauthenticate every once in a while. He said that Verison says this does not happen with the router they will rent to you but there is this problem on wireless routers.

Not that it is a real answer to your question, Cable broadband does not require such an authentication scheme
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hi there!

i've been having problems with my Internet connections, too. I have called Apple several times, and they hve been extremely helpful=>the problem is my router 2WIRE and my wireless phone. They are on the same frequency (2.4). For that reason, i called 2wire ppl, but they were blaming MAX OS X blahblahblah...I tried changing the router's frequency, but it's still in the range of 2.4 Hz. Now, my computer is connected to the Internet just fine as long as it doesn't go Idle. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance! :-)