NEW "Sunflower" iMac: Your thoughts and purchase intent?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, as I write this, it hasn't officially been released...

But it WILL be Current Hardware soon enough.

I'm buying the top model. Hell yeah.

What are your thoughts on it? Who's buying one, and if so, what config.?

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: CosmoNut ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Superdrive, superdrive!

I'm down with the top model, if that's the only one with the Superdrive.

SdC
  • Reply 2 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    If I didn't get an iBook in June I would've gotten this as fast as I could. I'm trying to convince my parents to let me sell the iBook so I can get an imac though.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    It's very cool and while before yesterday I had no reason to buy an iMac...I might just have to get one now...
  • Reply 4 of 51
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    buying one this morning with superdrive...g
  • Reply 5 of 51
    I don't need one at the moment (new iBook), but I think that this time next year, when it gets its second bump in features and my current desktop needs replacing .... well then I will just in and buy one.

One thing is that first generation models often have quite a few bugs to work out. I can wait a year (BUT I LIKE IT!)
  • Reply 6 of 51
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'd wait for the Rev B. to sort any bugs out, but: DAY-AMM. The top of the line model is the ultimate digital hub machine.

Will I get one? Not soon. Not because it isn't a terrific machine, but because I still haven't come near exploiting the power of the machine I currently have. If I buy a computer anytime soon (as in, within a year or so) it'll be a portable.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    100 mhz system bus! (same as old iMac)

Did I read this wrong, or do we have yet another bottlenecked Mac? Please, someone assure me that this isn't such a big deal, so I can go ahead and buy one!
  • Reply 7 of 51
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    SuperDrive model for me.

As soon as my wages are in the bank...

J :cool:
  • Reply 9 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by Neandertal:

<strong>100 mhz system bus! (same as old iMac)

Did I read this wrong, or do we have yet another bottlenecked Mac? Please, someone assure me that this isn't such a big deal, so I can go ahead and buy one!</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's a big deal if you are a heavy 3D or Photoshop guy. Like 8 hours a day kinda level.

If you just dabble in the high end software, and mostly do low end software, you won't notice a thing.

SdC
  • Reply 10 of 51
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    I'll probably wait a couple revisions B like I did with my current iMac. The biggest thing is USB 2.0. they include this in the new iMac?

I have to say that I thought the design sucked when I first saw it, but when I saw Steve move the display so effortlessly, I was Hooked!

BTW, just for shits and giggles I priced some competitor systems with the same features. Unfortunately Gateway, seemed to be the only one who could give me a DVD-R system under $2000. Dell might have, but I kept getting incompatibility errors.

$1938 GATEWAY - 500C w/256MB RAM, LCD, DVD-R
  • Reply 11 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>

It's a big deal if you are a heavy 3D or Photoshop guy. Like 8 hours a day kinda level.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Them sorta folks should be buying the fastest Powermac they can get their hands on! Maybe even two of 'em!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It's gonna be tough: 700MHz combo drive OR spend another $300 and have that option for doing the DVD thing down the road, should I get a digital camcorder and all (I'm sure I will at some point).

Plus, psychologically, I dig 800MHz more than 700MHz.

That way, it's exactly twice the MHz of what I currently have, thus feeling like a truer, more significant and worthwhile upgrade.

• Reply 13 of 51
    I just bought the Superdrive model with 800 mhz G4! I cant wait!
  • Reply 14 of 51
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

[QB]It's gonna be tough: 700MHz combo drive OR spend another $300 and have that option for doing the DVD thing down the road, should I get a digital camcorder and all (I'm sure I will at some point).<hr></blockquote>

I did order the SuperDrive model right away today, but I've had this nagging thought along those same lines...

I remember someone saying that you should never buy a computer to do something that "you might do down the road". Meaning of course, that by the time you actually get to doing that thing, the computer will be dated. We're planning on getting a digital camera soon, but what if for some reason we don't get it for 6 months? The SuperDrive is sort of wasted then.

I can use it to put digital photos onto DVD though, but at $8 (for me in Canada) a pop for the DVD-R discs, I wonder if I'll do this a whole lot.

Your CD writing speed also goes down to 8x from 12x in the combo (and 24x in the CD-RW - WOW).

If I could get a combo drive 800 MHz G4 with a 60 GB drive, that would take care of everything.

What to do, what to do....

I've got a few weeks to think it over, anyway I guess.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    murbot, you shouldn't get the one with the Superdrive if you don't know if you're gunna use it because by the time you decide to use it you'll be selling the iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Yeah, murbs. If you don't already have a DV cam or aren't getting one soon, then iDVD and the superdrive might not be your cuppa joe.

SdC
  • Reply 17 of 51
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I'm excited, because for once, Apple isn't skimping on hardware. What do I mean? The old iMacs all had a measly 8x8x24x CD-RW drive, and the Combo in the old iBook was like 4x4x24x4. But, the CD-RW in the new iMac is 24x10x32x! And the combo drive is 12x8x32x and like 8x for the DVD! Man, it would've been kinda funny to see a Photoshop bake-off between the new iMac and a 1.8 P4...
  • Reply 18 of 51
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    I dunno, right now I only have enough dough for the low end...by the time the SuperDrive model ships I'll have enough for the Combo...then I'd probably have enough for the SuperDrive a month later...

I don't need (or really want) a SuperDrive, it just the 800mhz thats attracting me..

I'll probably just go with the 700, I guess, Most of the things I do don't require raw processing power...'cept for gaming.

How would 700mhz G4 come out in Pentium/Athlon terms?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I know guys, it's a tough call.

I'd REALLY like to get the 800 MHz G4, and I'd really like the big hard drive too (not to mention the fact that it'll be shipping a month sooner than the combo).

It's really too bad you can't configure these a little at the Apple Store. I'd select the top model and swap in the combo drive instead of the SuperDrive. That would take care of everything I am worried about!

I'd go with the combo, but then I'm losing 20 GB of hard drive space, going to the slower processor, and waiting one month longer. I've been Macless for 4 days, and waiting 3 weeks + for the SuperDrive model will be hard enough!

Dammit Apple, let us fiddle with these configurations a little, man!!
  • Reply 20 of 51
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    iDogchow,

You got things backwards. Superdrive ships this month, Combo in February and the CD-RW in March.