NEW "Sunflower" iMac: Your thoughts and purchase intent?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I'm down for the whole enchilada, it will look striking next to my Cube which just became my Japanese-only Mac; both will be on the Net thanks to AirPort 2. Only wish I could run the Cinema display from the iMac Snow Bird.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Apple has finally done it. The *one* thing I was waiting for happened. I wasn't gonna by an iMac until it had a G4 processor in it... AND WHAT A PACKAGE!!! I think it's beautiful, and I am now going to get one by any means necessary.

That 800 Mhz G4 is looking very appealing =)

Though I'm surprised Steve didn't hype it as "The Supercomputer for the average person."
  • Reply 23 of 51
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by RSGnome:

<strong>Though I'm surprised Steve didn't hype it as "The Supercomputer for the average person."</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, that seems like something he'd say.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    I'm waiting until July. If they don't do something really compelling to the Power Mac line then (1 GHz on the middle config), I'll buy an 800 MHz iMac. Until today, I never thought it would be an option for me... :-)
  • Reply 25 of 51
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, keep in mind that by July, these new iMacs will have gone through one upgrade cycle (hopefully).

All I really want is a 800MHz combo drive model. The more I think about the SuperDrive model, the more I go "eh...".

Oh well.

Yes, I wish the online Apple Store did let you tweak things a bit, in order to get exactly what you want (and not feel as though you're either spending more than you need to OR are compromising and selling yourself short).
  • Reply 26 of 51
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    I'm waiting until July. If they don't do something really compelling to the Power Mac line then (1 GHz on the middle config), I'll buy an 800 MHz iMac. Until today, I never thought it would be an option for me... :-)
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Like the extra USB port, that'll make my life a little easier (no USB device swapping).

My wife and I both were in lust over the design. I am using a PM G4 400 with a 17" Cinema CRT display and while it is nice it takes a lot of room. The iMac would remove a lot of bulk and add a lot of power. I don't think the 15" display would be too much of a drop from the viewable area of my 17" and I have yet to find a need for a PCI expansion slot. We will probably buy one ($1299 or $1499) in March and sell the G4.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    well I'm just torn to bits, I must say.

I bought my 266 PBG3 because of the nice, big, bright screen; at the time, the cheapest Apple alternative was a full $1000 more. I've loved it...but it can't keep up with what I'm moving into.

So here comes the new iMac - that big, beautiful screen, AND a G4 - last year's baddest & fastest for half-price is awfully attractive, and I really want to do it.

But there's that 14" iBook...what I've got now, only faster, lighter, leaner, stronger (AND newer!) and would be so much easier to drag with than my Wallstreet...but probably underpowered & so not a forward purchase.

AAUUUGHH!!!! I should just get the iMac & get to work, but it kills me to get THIS CLOSE to the next evolution & not be able to hold out for it.

Problem is: my PBG3 was old tech (tho new) when I bought it, and nice as the iMac is, the G4 is old tech, too. And having spent 12 years w/ an Amiga before that, I'd actually kinda like to be, y'know, current for a little while? The G5 is imminent, and would be a great enough jump to let me ride until the G7, maybe. But can I afford it when it arrives? And when WILL it arrive?? Can I wait???

God, I sound like a soap opera!
  • Reply 29 of 51
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I'm considering buying one. If me and my brother go 50/50 it won't be that bad for the highend one.

I'll likely wait to see what happens with the PowerMacs though.

I also have a strange feeling a 17 inch model will be released at MWNY.

I was hoping it had ATA/100 so I could stick in Maxtor's 130 GB or 160 GB HD but ATA/66 can't read those drives
  • Reply 30 of 51
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>I'd wait for the Rev B. to sort any bugs out, but: DAY-AMM. The top of the line model is the ultimate digital hub machine.

Will I get one? Not soon. Not because it isn't a terrific machine, but because I still haven't come near exploiting the power of the machine I currently have. If I buy a computer anytime soon (as in, within a year or so) it'll be a portable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea but the new iMac IS portable

I'll bet you could get a device that would be like an external battery, Like a little charged unit with a standard plug input, or somet crap like that, hehehe just to say you used your iMac on a plane
  • Reply 31 of 51
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Definitely gonna buy it. Level 2 or the top model
  • Reply 32 of 51
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I´m buying the cheapest rev. b with superdrive.

I ave learned from the original iMac: NEVER buy rev a of anything.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Hi there!

Will the new iMac also be convection cooled (virtually silent) or will there be a fan?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>I´m buying the cheapest rev. b with superdrive.

I ave learned from the original iMac: NEVER buy rev a of anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't intend to purchase, but I make some pretty dumb decisions, so who knows.

Maybe if they have a sports-themed base. You know, make it have basball seams, and the monitor support look like a bat, and the monitor rotate 45 degrees to look like a basball diamond! Start says "Play ball!"

• Reply 35 of 51
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I also have a strange feeling a 17 inch model will be released at MWNY.

I was hoping it had ATA/100 so I could stick in Maxtor's 130 GB or 160 GB HD but ATA/66 can't read those drives </strong><hr></blockquote>

17 inch? Maybe in a year or two...

ATA/100? Much more likely...
  • Reply 36 of 51
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by RolandG:

<strong>Hi there!

Will the new iMac also be convection cooled (virtually silent) or will there be a fan?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It does have a fan, but it's supposed to be quiet and only comes on full power when the unit gets to hot.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>I´m buying the cheapest rev. b with superdrive.

I ave learned from the original iMac: NEVER buy rev a of anything.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe but somebody has to buy the rev. a machines or else there won't be a rev. b
  • Reply 38 of 51
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I thought about the new iMac overnight. I'm going to have a pretty good birthday this year--hell, I have a pretty good birthday every year because I keep buying Macs.

iPhoto must be Cocoa. It is so slow on my 400MHz DVSE.

EDIT: I just thought of something. By September--when I will be buying--this iMac should be close to a 1GHz G4 Processor. Cool.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 51
    idogcowidogcow Posts: 111member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>iDogchow,

You got things backwards. Superdrive ships this month, Combo in February and the CD-RW in March.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, what I said, right? This month I'll have enough for next months model, I'm upset about the wait.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

Maybe if they have a sports-themed base. You know, make it have basball seams, and the monitor support look like a bat, and the monitor rotate 45 degrees to look like a basball diamond! Start says "Play ball!"

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Heck, paint the threads on the base to look like a baseball.