is this why Powerbook 7,x disappeared?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
As many will recall, there was something in a Platform Expert in the OS 10.3.5 release last summer for a Powerbook 7,1 and a Powerbook 7,2. They were G5 machines. These disappeared in a later release. I found that very weird. Did that happen because management decided to switch to Intel? I'm starting to wonder now. But if they were that far, why scrap all the hard work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    I think they took it out because people saw it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    I'm pretty sure a move to Intel would constitute more than a point release..
  • Reply 3 of 5
    unixguruunixguru Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

I'm pretty sure a move to Intel would constitute more than a point release..

That's not what I meant. I meant did they take it out in the next point release because they didn't need it anyone -- in other words, because they scrapped the Powerbook G5 project.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by unixguru

That's not what I meant. I meant did they take it out in the next point release because they didn't need it anyone -- in other words, because they scrapped the Powerbook G5 project.

That very well could be. Too frustrated with IBM, Apple said fuck it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I think Apple were testing laptops with 970?x processors but could not get them down to acceptable levels of battery life/heat dissipation. They probably just left them in there. There are mysterious entries in there all wrapped in encrypted goodness. Just can't "see" what they are now.