Article at Cult of Mac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/

"But why would Apple do this? Because Apple wants Intel's new Pentium D chips.

Released just few days ago, the dual-core chips include a hardware copy protection scheme that prevents "unauthorized copying and distribution of copyrighted materials from the motherboard," according to PC World.

Apple -- or rather, Hollywood -- wants the Pentium D to secure an online movie store (iFlicks if you will), that will allow consumers to buy or rent new movies on demand, over the Internet. "

Interesting, and makes sense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    hmmmm...

i still dont know what to think of this. and i was all set to test the mac waters by getting a mini. we'll see on monday.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That article makes me cringe.

Copy protection in a Mac processor would hamper what I do in so many ways. It is not that I intend to break laws, start a black market, or [ Insert whatever problems this technology is supposed to solve].

I frequently encode DVD's and put them on my iPod. It is all for personal use and I spend a lot of effort keeping tabs on the files I create. If I have to fight a Mac to do that, then a computer has lost a great deal of its useful purpose.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, but Intel says no DRM in Pentium D: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...id=118&tid=137

Okay, no *unannounced* DRM, which muddies the waters... man, talk about double-speak with no real content.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    perhaps they use spotlight tech to translate the apps before you even load them???
  • Reply 5 of 21
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    ok, ignore my post in the other thread.

Fairplay on a chip??

hmmmm?

might work. and might be part of the overall strategy for apple to be a dominant internet company.

how many hours left and when will we see the stevenote in HiDef?!!

That should really be a test of the bandwidth!! and QT!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Ok, so they're going to piss off untold amounts of people, cause havoc, and switch to Intel after years of basically saying how much they suck, all for some crappy DRM that will be cracked 12 hours after release anyways? No way.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Humm, read the last part of this lawyers resume...

http://pview.findlaw.com/view/3340942_1?&channel=CCC

"Transitive Technologies: Represented Transitive Technologies in a co-development and licensing agreement with Apple Computer"

its the very last accomplishment, so it must have happened recently...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    geraldogeraldo Posts: 10member
    maybe someone wanted to boost attendance at the wwdc?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Atomic Media Fonts

"Transitive Technologies: Represented Transitive Technologies in a co-development and licensing agreement with Apple Computer"

How the heck did you find that?!\

Good one.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Atomic Media Fonts

Holy shit!!!

So far, this is the only "proof" I've seen that Apple may be ready to release OS X for x86 and/or release Macs with non-PPC Intel chips.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Ok, so they're going to piss off untold amounts of people, cause havoc, and switch to Intel after years of basically saying how much they suck, all for some crappy DRM that will be cracked 12 hours after release anyways? No way.

Dude, it's business, not religion. Apple should do what's best for business. If people are pissed off about a computer processor, they need to get their head checked. These aren't the days of toasted bunny suits or snails with Pentiums glued to their backs. Of course they're going to say that Moto, IBM processors are better when they're using IBM and Moto processors! For along time, they were, but there have always been other factors that are probably weighing in aside from performance or efficiency, like a proven track record for chip progress, easier development and cheaper components, etc. Whether this will wreak havoc remains to be seen. I can only assume that a big transition like this requires some kind of plan that's already been laid out behind closed doors to minimize any confusion and technical hurdles.

I still have my doubts, but I just don't see why there's any emotional component to it.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IQatEdo

How the heck did you find that?!\

Google

It is not that difficult to come up with

some scope.

People who are aware, who is involved in the IT business,

can easily put something into the google field.

If you know the word "apple", "agreement" etc. , perhaps the term

"Morrison & Foerster" (and what that would imply) and if you know

that Jay De Groot is a atorney at "Morrison & Foerster" - there you go.

Type in, appreciate the results, pretend to be a masterbrain

cheers
  • Reply 13 of 21
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Even if apple goes intel for their chips, this could be a win win for apple.

For those who may be uninitiated the Intel PR machine is huge.

Apple could use this PR base to its advantages.

Apple PowerMac with Intel inside not only blows the doors off of the competition it is the easiest to use.

I just don't want to hear that Pentium jingle when my mac boots. I really don't care what chips are inside as long as Apple makes it cutting edge and keeps the OS slick and clean.

My little Sony Vaio is a really great laptop. It has nice styling and great hardware features. Only pity is the OS stinks like day old roadkill.

Thus, my powerbook gets all of my lovin'
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Great, we get to be part of the fading Intel monopoly AND we get draconian DRM too. I'm so freaking excited I can't stand it. Linux on AMD, here I come.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Google

It is not that difficult to come up with

some scope.

People who are aware, who is involved in the IT business,

can easily put something into the google field.

If you know the word "apple", "agreement" etc. , perhaps the term

"Morrison & Foerster" (and what that would imply) and if you know

that Jay De Groot is a atorney at "Morrison & Foerster" - there you go.

Type in, appreciate the results, pretend to be a masterbrain

cheers

This is still an excellent find. Now we need to know what is means.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Red Box.

• Reply 17 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    DRM is so stupid.

It's like .5% of computer users that even know how to copy, hack, etc.

People like my parents don't care and wouldn't even know where to start...

Then again, using that same argument, we shouldn't care about DRM because, where there is a will, there is a way. Any DRM will be defeated in the end.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

DRM is so stupid.

Yes it is

But what the heck has DRM to to

with the intel switch campaign?

Shed some light...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Google rocks...

: )
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I've just set up a site to grab the latest headlines for Apple/Intel at http://ipodnews.com/intel.php It should auto-update every 15 minutes.