What's all the fuss about?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple may be moving to the Intel platform but what has changed?

Apple still has a great operating system:

? based on UNIX

? easy to use/intuitive

? beautiful

? powerful

? advanced features

Hardware:

? beautiful

? fast

Intel will change things but I don't think the average user will be able to tell.

Also H.264 makes the keynote streaming beautiful.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    the generalthe general Posts: 649member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Apple may be moving to the Intel platform but what has changed?

Apple still has a great operating system:

? based on UNIX

? easy to use/intuitive

? beautiful

? powerful

? advanced features

Hardware:

? beautiful

? fast

Intel will change things but I don't think the average user will be able to tell.

Also H.264 makes the keynote streaming beautiful.

nothing much really has changed, cpu thats about it.. but some people will whine and complain and think "oh sh*t, that means apple is making generic pc's now!" no, apple made computers that used motorola/ibm chips, now they are switching to intel chips, its not that big a deal, it will still look and run the same, just different chip underneath, but people are nuts.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Wake the fuc up man

The average user is going to be able to see that a P4 Powermac is $3000 while the Dell with better specs is $1999.

The trick here is to get you all to pay a premium for the same hardware yet get less. Moving to Intel is going to benefit Apple but it doesn't do a damn thing for us.

Unless you truly believe a habitual liar like Steve jobs who'll tell you one minute that the sky is blue and then switch to telling you its red when it suits him.

Folks the lack of character you see in Apple is a direct reflection of its CEO.

I'm ashamed I really am.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Wake the fuc up man

The average user is going to be able to see that a P4 Powermac is $3000 while the Dell with better specs is $1999.

The trick here is to get you all to pay a premium for the same hardware yet get less. Moving to Intel is going to benefit Apple but it doesn't do a damn thing for us.

Unless you truly believe a habitual liar like Steve jobs who'll tell you one minute that the sky is blue and then switch to telling you its red when it suits him.

Folks the lack of character you see in Apple is a direct reflection of its CEO.

I'm ashamed I really am.

Well the OS is better but this should make Apple more competitive so it's going to be fine. We'll have to wait and see but I'm positive about the future.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    But why would you want to pay $500 more just to have the ability of running OS X? If the hardware is all the same, will folks really fork out the extra dough for an apple to get OS X? If so, why aren't they currently?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

But why would you want to pay $500 more just to have the ability of running OS X? If the hardware is all the same, will folks really fork out the extra dough for an apple to get OS X? If so, why aren't they currently?

People pay more for Apple because it's more reliable, better hardware and for the best OS - stable and virus free.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    dougdoldedougdolde Posts: 53member
    I will be impressed if they sell a version of OS X that I can run on my PC (dual boot with Windows).

Then my apps that won't run on Mac will still be usable. But I haven't heard anything to that effect. I don't think OS X would necessarily run on any PC just because it is made for an Intel chip.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    iksnooiksnoo Posts: 24member
    This is the most bizarre day of my life. I have been using Macs and Apple machines since the very beginning. This link about performance says it all(and its lies)

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

What about the G5 being the fastest processor for Mathematica or the VP of PIXAR stating on record that the G5 is THE fastest machine for renderman benchmark.

I feel like I just got kicked in the belly. P4 sucks is old and should die.

Iks
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Ok. MacCrazy. I'll try to be positive. Sorry for the vitriol.

I'm just reconciling with this change. I have to believe in something unfortunately Jobs has burned me too much with his flip-flops. I will believe in the OS...I will hope for success for the company but I will NEVER trust Steve Jobs or take his word for anything again.

Perhaps I'll feel differently next year. I'm not adverse to that but it'll take some time.

I think the problem I have is taking a platform (X86-64) and making it proprietary. Thus I imagine that if I don't buy AppleCare I'll still be forced to by a $400 motherboard knowing that the equivalent is $150 through umpteen resellers.

IBM bears some culpability here as well. Their fab performance has been deplorable. Once again it is the Mac users and developers that must shoulder the burden of another migration that may or may not bear fruit. Thanks and lets hope for the best.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by DougDolde

I will be impressed if they sell a version of OS X that I can run on my PC (dual boot with Windows).

Then my apps that won't run on Mac will still be usable. But I haven't heard anything to that effect. I don't think OS X would necessarily run on any PC just because it is made for an Intel chip.

Phil Schiller has already said that OS X will be locked down to only Powermacintel. So the dream of running OS X on our homebuilts will remain unfulfilled.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Bing-effing-O! Most intelligent people aren't going to spend another grand on a comparably equipped Apple just because it looks better and has OS X. I'd rather by the Dell, wait for Longhorn, and use the $1000.00 for something else. Or, wait for a hack so that I could run OS X on Dell or HP boxes.

I think this move will turn out to be a huge blunder for Apple. They will not make money on hardare if they expect to charge premimum prices. Also, what idiot is now going to buy a new Powermac or Powerbook at their current prices? In a year or so, it'll be obsolete. Still useable but slowy abandand by developers.

I think there are two camps of pro Intel inside Apple: One camp consists of idiots. The other camp are the ones that hate Apple and want to see it die and go away.

I am SO glad I did not buy a G5 powermac. I feel sorry for those of you that did.

- Mark
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Well the OS is better but this should make Apple more competitive so it's going to be fine. We'll have to wait and see but I'm positive about the future.

I'm willing to be convinced. How will it make Apple more competitive? Right now, that hasn't been explained.

We loose the killer FSB, we loose altivec. According to reports online Apple will be paying the same or more for the CPU's, so they won't be cheaper. Other than referring to vague future plans Job's didn't really paint a picture of what was so good about this.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Phil Schiller has already said that OS X will be locked down to only Powermacintel. So the dream of running OS X on our homebuilts will remain unfulfilled.

Stupid , Apple learned not a thing from windows taking over the world. Apples value is its OS not its great styled but slooow PPC's. Apple should be selling the hell out of its OS to home builts and anyone else who wants it. Dummies.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    this will make apple more competitive because the mac mini in the comp usa sunday paper ad will have the same processor speed as the emachine
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Aurora

I guess we could say moving to Intel is a Golden Parachute. Think about this. Steve knows this is a gamble. It could work and people could accept having locked hardware for Powermacintel. Or the the people could revolt but Apple would have one last avenue to go to and that would be releasing OS X to all PCs.

I would LOVE to build an AMD system and run OS X but I'm going to have to wait a LONG time for that to happen if Phil's comments are written in stone.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Sorry for going OT guys, but is there a link to the Keynote? I couldn't find it on Apple's website.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by alliancep.s.i

this will make apple more competitive because the mac mini in the comp usa sunday paper ad will have the same processor speed as the emachine

But will it have the same price. That emachines procesor might cost more money. Apple will now have an "Apples to Apples" no pun intended, comparison with the eMachines in Best Buy.

They've basically lost any bargaining they had with PPC. They are now competing on a 1:1 ratio with PCs now. And knowing Apple they are stingy with configs.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Iksnoo

This is the most bizarre day of my life. I have been using Macs and Apple machines since the very beginning. This link about performance says it all(and its lies)

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

What about the G5 being the fastest processor for Mathematica or the VP of PIXAR stating on record that the G5 is THE fastest machine for renderman benchmark.

I feel like I just got kicked in the belly. P4 sucks is old and should die.

Iks

Yeah - that is odd.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Stupid , Apple learned not a thing from windows taking over the world. Apples value is its OS not its great styled but slooow PPC's. Apple should be selling the hell out of its OS to home builts and anyone else who wants it. Dummies.

Stupid? "sloow PPC's?" On Apple's own web site, they show a G5 outperforming a pentium. Also, the last time I check the supercomputer top 500 site, the VA tech system running SLOWER intel processors (and more) was below the Apple system.

So who is the stupid one now? Both Apple and the top 500 supercomputer results agree with me.

Longhorn will be the final blow.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Sorry for going OT guys, but is there a link to the Keynote? I couldn't find it on Apple's website.

Nevermind, found it. http://stream.apple.akadns.net/
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/