I Absolutely Love the New iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Everything about it is absolutely stunning. I would buy it for the chrome arm alone!

An 800 MHz G4 processor?! With GeForce2?! That's just staggeringly amazing! Since when is Apple in the business with impressing us with performance specs?

It's beautiful, it's fast, and it's affordable (though the low end should be dropped by a few hundred dollars). I would buy one at the drop of a hat.

- Pook

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    strazistrazi Posts: 28member
    I agree, after seeing it from several different angles, the new iMac is gorgeous.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    merlionmerlion Posts: 143member
    [quote]Originally posted by deestar:

<strong>I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have to Ditto that!

Why, oh why not a 133 bus at least! They always manage to hobble the machine in one way or another.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by strazi:

<strong>I agree, after seeing it from several different angles, the new iMac is gorgeous.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Different angles? Heck, man, it's round!
  • Reply 5 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. That's the only problem with it.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    But, but.

Then you would be identical to the PM's sans PCI slots.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    iLike the G3 iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    "I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I just don't like round and white....round and white is in the bathroom...
  • Reply 10 of 49
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Hard as it may be to believe, it's now Current Hardware. Moving...
  • Reply 11 of 49
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    thinking i'm gonna love it....will know soon enough i guess since i just now managed to order it....tough getting through the apple store...must be lots of hits....g
  • Reply 12 of 49
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    [quote]"I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.<hr></blockquote>

Exactly. That's why it should have 133MHz bus with PC133 RAM and an ATA100 interface.

The pro machines should have a 133MHz bus with DDR RAM and an ATA133 interface. Unfortunately, Apple is always one or two steps behind the curve.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    If apple had put faster bus speeds for the processor and HD, it may have driven the price point beyond what it is now. Give it some time. The original iMac shipped with ATA/33 fer God's sake. Anyway, next revision gets a speed bump and improved internals.

Wait for it...

Also, why the hell didn't they put USB 2.0 in there?
  • Reply 14 of 49
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Silverlode:

<strong>"I love it too but don't your think that a 100mhz bus speed and ATA/66 is pure crap."

c'mon. it's a CONSUMER machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What's your point?
  • Reply 15 of 49
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>thinking i'm gonna love it....will know soon enough i guess since i just now managed to order it....tough getting through the apple store...must be lots of hits....g</strong><hr></blockquote>

I had a heck of a time getting in there too. Kept getting these damned internal server errors...

Got the order through in about 5-10 minutes... I wonder how many thousand sonsabitches got in before me...
  • Reply 16 of 49
    danbdanb Posts: 23member
    I like the new machine, but... Apple lost me as a customer anyway. Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about 2280 US Dollars in Germany!!!

• Reply 17 of 49

Sure, it's a little disappointing maybe... but "pure crap" it isn't.

There wre several people here (myself included) saying they were buying a new LCD iMac even if it hit 800-900 MHz with a G3.

A G4 is like a bonus to me.

Anyway, if you're doing work where you are going to REALLY notice a slowdown from a 100MHz bus, then you're not iMac material anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    [quote]Calculating with current exchange rates, the top model costs about [b]2280 US Dollars in Germany<hr></blockquote>

Don't blame Apple for your getting ****ed on the exchange in Germany! (but man, I do feel for you... that's brutal)

That top model is a great deal at $1799 US, plain and simple.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I totally love it! PERFECT!
  • Reply 20 of 49
    danbdanb Posts: 23member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Don't blame Apple for your getting ****ed on the exchange in Germany! (but man, I do feel for you... that's brutal)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I don't blame Apple for the bad exchange rate. I blame them for charging almost 500 bucks more for the same computer.

Makes sense?