Riddles of the past..

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    While I have little knowledge to contribute regarding this topic, due to being a recent Mac switcher; whatever is revealed during the WWDC in the coming days- I for one will be re-reading this thread for interest sake...

An intriguing read
  • Reply 102 of 121
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Ok, after some crack and research , I decided to take a stab:

"A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin..."

Trinity = Cube

Pie = ApplePI (Processor Interconnect)

Dolphin = pen drawing tablets

So to sum it up, a specialty computer will arrive (like the Cube did back in 2000) but will get a faster bus (ApplePI), but will be larger than the Dolphin tablets (6" x 4.5")

Let's continue...

"El Capitan's hamartia shall lead to Trinity's return and its rise to the throne, Its little brother shall rule in the great desert where the dolphins roam."

El Capitan=PowerMac case (G3 B&W and G4)

Great desert where the dolphins roam=tablet PC arena

Summing, El Capitan's hamartia (demise) just happened with Apple discontinuing the PowerMac G4. "It's little brother" refers to the product in question - Trinity's little brother. It will rule in the tablet pc realm.

"The filling shall reveal a crust made from the Rosetta Stone."

Rosetta=codename for Newton 2.0 handwriting recognition (currently Inkwell)

Crust=the outer shell, meaning a touch sensitive screen.

"When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie in the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the agile Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return."

Artemis=codename for the beige G3 all-in-one, so the first successor was the iMac CRT, the second was the iMac FP, so the new iMac is the third successor to Artemis.

Artemis twin=iBook

Mercury=codename for PowerBook G4

Goldfish=codename for PowerPC G5

This product will be introduced when, the iBook and PowerBook will still be at G4, until they both go to the G5. Not quite sure of the timelines here, but I think that is the gist of it.

This sure sounds like the suspended Tablet PC/DeskNote project from last year.

If that is the case, this could be what Digitimes was predicting last year.

Or what The Register was claiming 3 years ago.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    I think you are waaaay of track here... Im pretty sure the Dolphin means G3/Gamecube!
  • Reply 104 of 121
    update elcaptain= g3/g4 case codename
  • Reply 105 of 121
    macmattmacmatt Posts: 91member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

"El Capitan's hamartia shall lead to Trinity's return and its rise to the throne, Its little brother shall rule in the great desert where the dolphins roam."

El Capitan=PowerMac case (G3 B&W and G4)

Trinity = Cube

Great desert where the dolphins roam=tablet PC arena

Summing, El Capitan's hamartia (demise) just happened with Apple discontinuing the PowerMac G4. "It's little brother" refers to the product in question - Trinity's little brother. It will rule in the tablet pc realm.

[

Is the little brother, in reference to the iPod at all?
  • Reply 106 of 121
    History - the posts came from user "Codename" who was (we think) PowerMacG4 and always spread rumors about codenames in this style. The posts are still on AI, under a thread called "G5 - The Truth" or something like that. During that thread run, a user suggested that Codename should change his/her name to Nostradamus and did so, only to have priviledges revoked a while after. It would seem that some claimed that Codename was Nick DePlume from ThinkSecret, but Codename claimed "I am not Nick." Some theories were that Nick used the posts to discredit AppleInsider, but these posts were only in the forums and didn't show up on the News pages, so I doubt that. Other theories were that Nick (Codename) had close ties with Matthew Rothenberg from eWeek (now) and that Matthew knew of some kind of tablet device. He has posted several times on eWeek that Apple will be releasing a tablet computer, but alas, nothing has seen the light of day.

Anyway, it is all speculation and rumors, and doubtfully has any kind of real truth to it. The only real News posting on Dolphin came in this 1999 article.
  • Reply 107 of 121
    Yay! this thread sure was fun, back in the day...

Well, I think in hindsight we can now safaly assume that:

agile mercury = 12" PowerBook

obstinate mercury = 17" PowerBook

Long live this thread!
  • Reply 108 of 121
    Quote:

Originally posted by LowB-ing

agile mercury = 12" PowerBook

obstinate mercury = 17" PowerBook

If memory serves, agile represented an "upgradable" PowerBook and obstinate represented a "non-upgradable" PowerBook. But that was some time ago
  • Reply 109 of 121
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    and in the dawn of the new age Aplle will realease a SIMPLE filesrver called......Geoge...

oops wrong thread.....

sorry...

T
  • Reply 110 of 121
    I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but IGN recently reported that Microsoft has been shipping out slightly modified G5's to developers to begin work on XBOX2 games....

Edit: Forgot to mention that the XBOX 2 will reportedly be powered by some sort of PowerPC chip similar in architechture to the G5.....

LINK
  • Reply 111 of 121
    lowb-inglowb-ing Posts: 98member

If Trinity = PPC975

then

Little Brother = PPC970, derivatives of which just might show upp in ALL nextgen gameconsoles...

That sure is ruling the...

...consolemarket = the great desert where the gamecubes roam.

Maybe someone already posted this.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    So how do these quotes fit in with the recent intel switch?

• Reply 113 of 121
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

So how do these quotes fit in with the resent intel switch?

I cant believe you reserected this thread! I remember laughing so hard over all the ridiculous speculation of the code names. Looks like at least Rosetta meant something!
  • Reply 114 of 121
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I was thinking the same damn thing and you beat me to it.

hamartia= fatal flaw

Can someone give this a crack in light of today's announcement!

Rosetta was not the tablet mac but a running x86 version of osX!
  • Reply 115 of 121
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    dam you beat me to it I though of this during the keynote sorry for the dupe on the post.
  • Reply 116 of 121
    holy crap!
  • Reply 117 of 121
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    wow this is fast becoming a 2002 reunion!
  • Reply 118 of 121
    "A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin..."

---------------

"A little bird [unknown] told that Trinity [G5 and IBM] shall return, after eating pie [Apple Pi, the new interconnect strategy], more voluminous [greater internal bandwidth] than a dolphin [than the PPC chip in Gamecube, which is known for its massive internal bandwidth]."

This seems to make sense with what really happened. The new G3 obviously being the G5 and the G5's little brother(s) ruling the game console markets--came console market being where nintendo gamecube roams.

----------

"The filling shall reveal a crust made from the Rosetta Stone."

Rosetta was announced today by Jobs as the emulation software to run PPC on X86. The filling (mac OS X) shall reveal a crust (strength) made from the rosetta stone ( x86 emulation software

-----------

"When the third sucessor of Artemis shall eat pie in the great desert, Artemis' twin shall rein with the agile Mercury and the obstinate Mercury before being eaten by the goldfish and this shall signal Trinity's return."

if artemis refers to the All in one G3. The third successor would be the G5 imac. Artemis's twin could be the emac. Agile Mercury = iBook G4/Obstinate mercury=Powerbook G4. Lets pretend intel is the goldfish. All these lines rein until intel eats them all with x86 macs. Apple's switch to intel signals IBMs return to its previous position of not supplying G5s for apple.

IBM returns to its days of being #1 apple chip supplier then with the goldfish "returns" again to its previous position.

All just for fun the relieve some of the stress Steve has caused many of us today.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    One may notice that the G5 Powermacs are not mentioned in the lines to be eaten by the goldfish. Perhaps apple will be keeping IBM and intel. Is it possible Apple could work with two chip architectures?

No I have no proof or reason to believe goldfish refers to intel but its the only think that makes sense. haha yea it's just for fun....
  • Reply 120 of 121
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I'll bite... Esp. as I am a pre-2002 geezer...

"El Capitan's hamartia"

Hamartia = either sin, shortcoming, or "abnormal arrangement"

The ElCapitan enclosure precluded hot running chips.

Solved with the G5 enclosure.

Hope STILL springs eternal!

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

P.s. Noted with slight comment: Jobs mentioned a "secret double life" for OS X for 5 years. These aphoristic musings could definitely have had grains of truth to them!