"Great PowerPC products in the pipeline."

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
To quote Steve Jobs during today's keynote address:

Quote:

Now, this is not going to be a transition that happens overnight. It's going to happen over a period of a few years. Again, we've got great products right now. And we've got some great PowerPC products in the pipeline yet to be introduced.

Is this why we haven't seen an iBook revision? Was the iBook revision preempted by the Intel for Mac announcement so that iBooks could prove that there's still life left to Apple's product line until Intel?

What could these new great PowerPC products be? When do you think they will materialize?

Is an iBook speedbump a *great* PowerPC product? A G5 iMac revision? With what? Hotter 970FX's?

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 172
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Speed bumps and revisions I suspect.
  • Reply 2 of 172
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I bet the MP will still make an appearance.
  • Reply 3 of 172
    Tomorrow is Tuesday.
  • Reply 4 of 172
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I don't think so. Apple will want to bump the existing lines just enough to keep people buying, but not so much that performance will increase too much relative to existing Power Macs and people start to question the need to switch to Intel all over again.
  • Reply 5 of 172
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yeah I think Jobs repeated this at least twice.

Gotta keep sales of PowerPC Mac going between now and 2006, I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 172
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    I'm still hoping for a Powerbook G5.

But the reality seems to be a 1.8 GHz 7448 Powerbook G4 in August or so. Whence that happens, iBooks can be upgraded to 1.5 GHz G4s. These are essentially cheap, near zero cost bin swaps.

I'm still expecting a 970mp PowerMac G5 as well where the 970mp is a drop in replacement for the 970fx board. 50/50 on the possibility of PCIe making it onto the board though.
  • Reply 7 of 172
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    isn't the first "powerpc product" really the $999 3.6gHz mactel transition kit?

in the keynote, jobs infers that the development hardware is just a board

that fits inside the g5 chassis, using existing power and peripherals. no?
  • Reply 8 of 172
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I don't think so. Apple will want to bump the existing lines just enough to keep people buying, but not so much that performance will increase too much relative to existing Power Macs and people start to question the need to switch to Intel all over again.

The decision has been made. That's it. Apple needs to do whatever the hell it can to convince people to buy PowerPC Macs.

I, personally, think someone has to drop big coin on a PowerPC PowerMac at this point without a significant upgrade or price drop very soon.

To sell everyone on switching to Intel Jobs had to knife the PowerPC. It worked, most of us believed it a long ass time ago (though I had no freaking inkling that something like this would actually happen, I still feel like I'm in bizarro world).

I really don't see how they can sell a dual 2.7ghz PowerMac for $3k with a straight face at this point.

"This line sucks and we're replacing it... but... you know, buy it until the new stuff comes out anyway. Thanks."
  • Reply 9 of 172
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by retiarius

isn't the first "powerpc product" really the $999 3.6gHz mactel transition kit?

in the keynote, jobs infers that the development hardware is just a board

that fits inside the g5 chassis, using existing power and peripherals. no?

No. It has a Pentium 4 inside it, therefore it's not a PowerPC product. It's also a development machine, not a consumer product.
  • Reply 10 of 172
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    the powermacs still blow away most pcs for its price range...just the future looked gloomy with ibm
  • Reply 11 of 172
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FotNS

Don't be a silly.
  • Reply 12 of 172
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

No. It has a Pentium 4 inside it, therefore it's not a PowerPC product. It's also a development machine, not a consumer product.

granted, but if that's the physical form it takes, current g5 owners

don't need to ditch existing gear next year --

just do a board swap when the bugs are shaken out.
  • Reply 13 of 172
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

the powermacs still blow away most pcs for its price range...just the future looked gloomy with ibm

This could not be further from being true.

Let's take the top-end G5 completely stock.

Dual 2.7ghz G5

512MB PC3200 RAM

250GB SATA HD

Radeon 9650 256MB

Dual-Layer DVD-burner (16x)

$2999

Let's take the Alienware Aurora 7500

Athlon64 3800+

1GB PC3200 RAM

250GB SATA HD

Dual nVidia 6800 GT (PCI-Express) w/ SLI

Dual-Layer DVD-burner (16x)

$2991

Apple ties on the HD and DVD-Burner, and loses on everything else. Loses absolutely ridiculously embarrassingly huge on the video card situation as well.
  • Reply 14 of 172
    I was referring to some of the performance competitions...that one linux vs mac one recently comparing high end linux systems with a g5 in workstation and server uses, in workstation uses, the g5 did much better
  • Reply 15 of 172
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

TDual 2.7ghz G5

Let's take the Alienware Aurora 7500

Athlon64 3800+

Apple ties on the HD and DVD-Burner, and loses on everything else. Loses absolutely ridiculously embarrassingly huge on the video card situation as well.

A G5 and an Athlon 64 are for the most part equal clock to clock. IE, a 2.5 GHz 970fx = 2.5 GHz Athlon 64.

Of all the computers you chose to compare, the dual 2.7 GHz is the most competitive price/performance wise. It's about at parity short of unique things like SLI. Game performance goes w/o saying. Content creation they are about equal.

The low end and laptops, however, are embarrassing.
  • Reply 16 of 172
    indeed...

stevie? how bout some new laptops tomorrow? gotta catch those grads
  • Reply 17 of 172
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

They've got three years to do it. Maybe, just maybe, IBM will provide it before then.
  • Reply 18 of 172
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

I really don't see how they can sell a dual 2.7ghz PowerMac for $3k with a straight face at this point.

Do you think Apple's pricing will be much different with an Intel chip? I don't. Maybe a hundred dollars less but not much more.

Of course, people will compare a new Intel-based Mac and expect it to be comparable in price to say a Dell. But I'm guessing, we'll still be paying a premium to own a Mac. Not saying it's right...but some things just don't change.
  • Reply 19 of 172
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

"This line sucks and we're replacing it... but... you know, buy it until the new stuff comes out anyway. Thanks."

Yes, I am in this situation, I want to update to the fastest Mac available. But pay $3k seems to harsh and stupid. And the problem is, I am tired of waiting.

So now I am totally lost. Hopefully price cuts will follow very soon.
  • Reply 20 of 172
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

Yes, I am in this situation, I want to update to the fastest Mac available. But pay $3k seems to harsh and stupid. And the problem is, I am tired of waiting.

So now I am totally lost. Hopefully price cuts will follow very soon.

eBay... prices gotta start fallin' hard and fast on G5 machines.