Apple confirms switch to Intel

Comments

• Reply 161 of 423
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Just a thought.... do the folks here think that by leveraging xCode, Apple could position the Mac as a more central development platform?

Looking for a bright side....

HSE,

Mandricard,

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 162 of 423
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hugodrax

You should build a shrine to steve. If it was not for him Apple would probably not exist today.

And IBM threw him a curveball and he was smart enough to have planned for this moment years ago and is able to take it in stride.

Steve is a tech visionary in the truest sense of the word. to have OS X compiled and tested for x86 all along, keeping it fully secret for 5 years, is quite phenomenal, and shows an incredible foresight very very few business leaders have.
  • Reply 163 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

Just a thought.... do the folks here think that by leveraging xCode, Apple could position the Mac as a more central development platform?

Looking for a bright side....

HSE,

Mandricard,

AppleOutsider

to answer your question, i believe, definitely. steve basically trashed Metrowerks and left it for dead in 1 hour of RDFness.

there is a lot of bright sides. apple's software engineering, while not perfect, is of a generally very high standard... their guidance can be useful in these times.

think about it... if apple can actually 'switch' to Intel in 1 year and deliver reasonable, robust, shipping products even before longhorn comes out, that's a very laudable achievement.
  • Reply 164 of 423
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Just throwing something out-

Was it about 5 years ago that Apple went through the rut of the Powermacs being stuck at 500 mhz FOREVER?

J
  • Reply 165 of 423
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time, but this is big news.

Or is it?

My take:

I'm a very average Mac user. I love OS X because it's easy to use and just WORKS compared to Windows boxes I've used.

iTunes, Safari, Mail, iChat and Appleworks are the applications use 95% of the time.

I buy a new Mac when an application I want comes out my current model can't run, or my old one dies, or one is released I just HAVE to have based on it's looks/design.

Todays announcement has NO affect on me at all.

Am I an unusual case?

J

That's the way it should be.

I couldn't believe that this would hsppen. But after watching the kenote I realise that it's what Apple wants to happen.

Sit down at your iMac or whatever and just use it. If everything works the way it's supposed to, what's the difference.

No one even thought about it until he said it was running on Intel.

Do most people care if the engine block in their car is aluminum or iron? Not really.

Apple seems to do what other companies have problems doing. But Apple isn't the only company thast's done this. Sun and SGI have as well. so have others.
  • Reply 166 of 423
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Let's not forget the people hard at work at Darwin as well. I have been using it for several years and it is very stable and robust for what it is applicable. Shantonu, Kevin, Felix, et al. you have been wonderful. Felix, are you still out there?

I thought as much.
  • Reply 167 of 423
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

in homage and to make sense of what's going on today, i've dug out my old Pentium2-333mhz 128mb RAM machine and using dial-up and internuts exploder 5.0

wtf is wrong with me well i guess i got a bit tired of 'fighting' with my dad for the iBook g4 \

okay WWDC 2005 June

1. i was right that steve would clear up the whole CPU pipeline mess

2. i was almost right that i thought a TabletMac would be their way of getting their foot in the Intel camp

3. i was wrong about apple sticking behind IBM

4. apple just gave a big 'fuck you' to IBM

5. the 1-12 month Mac PowerPC pipeline is a big grey hole now though

6. you can tell that steve WAS a little nervous starting out, although he lightened up towards the end when the developers were somewhat impressed

7. steve's health seems a little off, he seems a bit skinny, and somewhat greyer than usual

8. i feel betrayed but i think i've learnt enough about life that this is actually a good thing in the long run

9. IBM has just not performed to apple's expectations and steve is smart to nip things in the bud right now. apple is using its momentum to hedge against what would normally be a HUGE business risk, to announce switching to Intel, 1 year out, with no shipping products, but thanks to Mac Mini, iMac g5, iBook and PowerBook (what's left of it) they can hold the fort for about one year

the only thing that pisses me off is that now all the good PowerPC hardware is basically in "reserve" for 1-16 months. meaning, apple is going to be very cautious because they have to weather R&D costs AND fully support their developers (more costs) AND survive a possible sliding off in Mac unit sales ~ so, the good PowerPC hardware will be in "reserve" as in only if Mac sales slump too dangerously will Steve bring out the big guns (eg. 1GB ram in powerbooks) to stimulate sales for the next 4 quarters

so i guess it will take a while for the dust to settle

i feel for the developers, but i do believe that in the long run this will encourage longer-term thinking when developing code, and provide a more robust and wider market base for those talented developers.

that demo on a pentium 4 3.6ghz 2gb ram was FAST! photoshop took a little while to load but that was running TRANSLATED!!

You and me brother.
  • Reply 168 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I am unsure about some of the implications of this switch, but here are my thoughts

Pros:

1) OS X - it is the first reason I use a mac. I will NEVER go back to windows.

1b) Coming a VERY close second - Apple design. It rocks. I will never buy a beige or black box. New apple books may have intel processors, but they will also have superior design, hinges, wireless antennas built-in, stunningly clean lines with sexy white and silver (yes, I love white and I love silver), decent port placement and single button trackpads . All the things we take for granted than you have to PAY EXTRA for in a pc laptop.

2) Apple as a complete package - from the colour of the keyboard to the hardware support, Apple products are whole.

3) Cheaper macs - leading to more macs, leading to a happier world and with faster bug fixes (growls at ichat 3, dvd burning and crappy tiger uptimes)

4) Apple using intel technology to push new ideas and get ahead of the market - shaping the world to apple design and ease of use values

Cons:

1) The risk of OS X for x86 leaking out. I assume Apple has this covered (see above posts on motherboard ROMs and so forth) but its a risk

2) Misinformation! The lack of detail in the keynote hasnt helped

3) Possibility of getting screwed over again - slow delivery times, better processors to competitors

4) Intel insider stickers... BARF! Hopefully apple design rules will never allow this idea to surface!!

OK there is heaps more good and bad but i can't take it all in at once, dammit!

nice roundup.

yes, apple does intend to compete on price. they WILL have to if they want to attract the massively emerging 'new middle class' in developing countries - these people have the dough, but they want to see value for their money and at the same time coolness factor since they were raised on fairly frugal culture-mindsets...

i am learning this since 'returning' to Malaysia several months ago after living in USA and Australia.
  • Reply 169 of 423
    Quote:

7. steve's health seems a little off, he seems a bit skinny, and somewhat greyer than usual

That's because he's apparently been spending all the iPod money on crank.

Steve: You know what we all need right now? Another major friggin transition! Bwaaahhhhhhhhahahahahahahahah!!

One has to wonder if the fourth major transition will be back to PPC. It's like the Mac version of OS/2 now. They might as well cal OS X.5 "Warp."
  • Reply 170 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

You and me brother.

thanks for the understanding mate

we've all had our differences on appleInsider but this is a time when our community can pull together

maybe a 'support group'-esque part of appleInsider forums to be set up for the next 6 months - 1 year

that song is starting to play in my head-

"getting to know you...

getting to know you...."

jeez its like dad came back with your new stepbrother/stepsister and is like, Timmy, here's your new brother/sister. Now play nice...! (as he says that i'm reaching for the kitchen knife on the table behind me)

ha hah ha ha hmmm ..........
  • Reply 171 of 423
    Quote:

i feel for the developers, but i do believe that in the long run this will encourage longer-term thinking when developing code, and provide a more robust and wider market base for those talented developers.

I'm a developer. Steve Jobs, and you in your comment above, are both right that this transition probably isn't really going to be much of an issue from a development standpoint. Being forced to write portable code is actually a good thing. It'll only make future processor transitions all that much easier. I've checked out Xcode 2.1 and the relevant documentation. Apple has done a stellar job to make this easy for any developer that cares to spend the couple of hours it would take to get things working on x86. If the Mathematica guy can do it in 2 hours, then most people will manage. I do feel for anyone who has invested significant time in AltiVec optimizations though. I also feel for anyone who will have to deal with the crusty x86 ISA directly for any reason, or who will have to go from AltiVec to what I consider the much less elegant Intel equivalents.

The smart and active developers don't really concern me. What does concern me are applications that won't run in Rosetta at all. There may be a couple, judging by the Universal Binary docs Apple posted - AltiVec apps will not work at all, nor will G4 and G5 specific apps. Also problematic may be applications that do actually run but perform badly. Photoshop sure did take forever to load on Steve's Pentium and I took note of the fact that he didn't bother to demo any intensive filters/plug-ins. He applied some cheesy little effect which is not any sort of measure of speed for Photoshop, believe me. He seemed to be hell bent on blazing through the Photoshop demo. I didn't consider it impressive at all. But I'll certainly be happy if they improve it in the next year. If it works as well as the 68K translator did back in the good old days, this won't be a major issue.

However, for those apps that do perform poorly or simply don't work at all, users will either have to pay another hefty premium for upgrades they may not otherwise have bothered/wanted to acquire, or if the developer is no longer around or supporting the product you're basically screwed. This isn't even mentioning the fact that classic will be left entirely in the dust. I can't say I blame them, but staying with PowerPC would have guaranteed at least quite a few more years of being able to run old applications and games.

[soapbox]Just because it will work doesn't mean x86 is a good architecture. As much money as Intel is pouring into this, mark my words, they are going to run into a dead end. And I'll bet they'll reach that dead end long before PowerPC (or its derivates such as Cell) do. As long as Apple doesn't permanently close the door on PowerPC/RISC I won't be bitching all the time.[/soapbox]
  • Reply 172 of 423
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    He never did mention dual processor or dual-cores in his presentation...

Concerned...
  • Reply 173 of 423
    cmatechcmatech Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheOtherRob

Just a couple of things for people to keep in mind:

1. These days, the whole 'PowerPC vs Intel' thing isn't really anything more than posturing. People developed an allegience to it because that's what was inside the box, and difference encourages disproportionate notions of superiority.

2. APPLE ARE A COMPANY. They're not your friend and they're not your Messiah. To be perfectly blunt, it all comes back to the shareholders. Jobs' number one priority is always, ALWAYS, to return a maximum dividend for shareholders - that's his job.

-TheOtherRob

BRAVO! First post in this thread that is actually based on reality.

I switched (couple years ago) from windows to a mac for the following reason:

I am a python programmer and longtime FreeBSD server admin and I wanted to run a desktop UNIX with a real GUI. I have hated KDE/GNOME forever and had been watching OS X since it's beginning and felt panther was the point at which the os was actually mature. I have a humble little eMac (maxed out) and it does everything I *actually* need: browse internet, email, SubEthaEdit, and last but not least: a standard ssh client in a real shell.

So what?

Well - I didn't get it because it had a PPC in it. I have never bothered to research the instruction set of the PPC. I don't need to. I just don't care what is inside as long as it works.

I am certainly more of a geek than most switchers. Do you really think mom & pop care if it's Intel or PPC?

When did the mac become an elitist developer/geek only platform? All I ever heard from mac users when I was still using windows was that the mac was easy to use. It is. And what is inside makes no difference.

Steve Jobs works for the shareholders. And that is a good thing.
  • Reply 174 of 423
    Quote:

yes, apple does intend to compete on price.

Really? He didn't mention that in the keynote, and that would have been the time to do it ya know. The way to save money isn't to make a huge CPU change midstream that will require vast amounts of extra support, time, and engineering for all the foreseeable future. That will cost Apple cash that won't come from Santy Claus. Investors certainly won't eat it. It will come from customers. Yummy!
  • Reply 175 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by cmatech

Well - I didn't get it because it had a PPC in it. I have never bothered to research the instruction set of the PPC. I don't need to. I just don't care what is inside as long as it works.

Which still isn't an argument for using x86. The Soviet Lada car also "worked," it still didn't mean its internal design was something to be particularly proud of.
  • Reply 176 of 423
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Steve is a tech visionary in the truest sense of the word. to have OS X compiled and tested for x86 all along, keeping it fully secret for 5 years, is quite phenomenal, and shows an incredible foresight very very few business leaders have.

I agree. And imagine working on that project for Apple and having to keep it secret! Finally, they can now step into the spotlight (pun intended) - or is it the crosshairs?
  • Reply 177 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

The way to save money isn't to make a huge CPU change midstream that will require vast amounts of extra support, time, and engineering for all the foreseeable future.

maybe everyone at apple is super bored and needed a new challenge!

unfortuantely atm there doesnt seem to be enough follow through on products already released (10.4.2 is needed desperately... and why cant they make ilife and iwork even snappier? that will go a big way to selling the products - sure they are good, they are AWESOME, but even on my dual g5 iphoto aint screaming along!)
  • Reply 178 of 423
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

Really? He didn't mention that in the keynote, and that would have been the time to do it ya know. The way to save money isn't to make a huge CPU change midstream that will require vast amounts of extra support, time, and engineering for all the foreseeable future. That will cost Apple cash that won't come from Santy Claus. Investors certainly won't eat it. It will come from customers. Yummy!

no, customers have enough choices nowadays. they intend to compete (or just stay competitive at least) on price, i believe, in the medium-long-term (1-5 years). customers won't eat it unless they have too. just watch... people that have followed the keynote are already seriously questioning whether to get a new mac in the next year unless they *Really need it*...

edit:

case in point

i get a Dell brochure in my mailbox or in the Tech section of my newspaper at least 3 times a week. i can assure you this morning i was looking pretty damn hard at it, with a huge sense of guilt. the only thing stopping me is windoze.

here's my crude guess that i pulled out of my a55

of people who have or will have a Mac in the next year

5% are irrelevant whiners

10% are like us, trying to make informed decisions

50% couldn't care less

25% are running mission-critical stuff and they'll generally work through this

the final 10% are contemplating suicide

• Reply 179 of 423
    the thing that scares the fuck out of me honestly though, is that the only that's sure is g4 processors and architecture up to 2ghz, and g5 processors and architecture up to *cough* 2.8ghz.

that's the only thing that's definite...

edit: i'll probably get the next iBook rev, in the next few months, with 3 year AppleCare and that's that...

edit2:

or maybe just a 1 year warranty standard, no AppleCare, and watch the situation over the next several years. edit3: i mean next several months...
  • Reply 180 of 423
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Out of ignorant curiosity...

By moving to Intel architectures, does that mean that Apple will use the exact same chips as are in Crappy Wintel Boxes (TM)?

Wouldn't Intel JUMP at the chance to get rid of the Tinkertoy stuff on those chips that supports their own (and M$) legacy stuff?

It just seems that Intel could be seeing a real chance to make a chip SHINE with a decent OS to run it.

Or has Apple bought the x86 architecture whole-hog?

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider