OS X Issues on PowerBook 12"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a PowerBook 12" last week and it's for the most part, great. But it's been acting up lately. Safari closes all of a sudden when viewing simple forums or other random sites. Two times, I get a notice saying I have to turn off the computer through the power button. I also have a Mac mini but this doesn't happen on that (weaker) computer.

Any idea what's wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I bought a PowerBook 12" last week and it's for the most part, great. But it's been acting up lately. Safari closes all of a sudden when viewing simple forums or other random sites. Two times, I get a notice saying I have to turn off the computer through the power button. I also have a Mac mini but this doesn't happen on that (weaker) computer.

Any idea what's wrong?

moving toward genius bar.

oh i am not a mod

Does the note tell you some instructions in

5 different languages? If so:

Smells like you've got a kernel panic.

Since it is a new cpu, it might be a faulty RAM module

or some other defective hardware.

For the most part kernel panics indicate some

hardware issues.

Please provide us with some more system info.

cheers
  • Reply 2 of 2
    EDIT: Well it turns out there was a software default after all. The Genius tried reinstalling the OS but couldn't, so I ended up with a replacement PowerBook. Good thing, too, because this time I remembered to buy a FireWire cable so now my desktop and laptop are almost exactly the same, content-wise. =)

Thanks!

----------

It's a standard PowerBook 12" from the last speed bump. 512MB RAM, 1.5 GHz G4... the standard deal.

Yes, the notice for me to turn off the comp comes in 5 languages, the top in English and the bottom in Japanese.

I just found the page on Apple's site but it doesn't seem to provide a solution. Hmm. Guess I should just bring it in.