Yonah

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Coming in the first quarter of 2006. These are essentially dual-core versions of the Pentium-M found in Centrino laptops.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23774

Dual core Yonah's with 2MB on-die L2 cache (~25 watts)

x50 (2.16 GHz) : $636

x40 (2.00 GHz) : $420

x30 (1.83 GHz) : $295

x20 (1.66 Ghz) : $240

Low voltage dual core (also 2MB L2 cache) versions (~15 Watts!)

x48 (1.66 GHz) : $315

x38 (1.50 GHz) : $285

Ultra-low voltage versions, single core (3-10 watts) - second quarter of 2006

So what will Apple build with Yonah? I can easily see the x20 going into the Mac Mini. Apple could also use the low-voltage Yonah's for some nice dual-core iBooks with 10 hour battery life. And of course, the Powerbook will probably end up with the x50.

But what about the tablet Mac or a Newton-sized mac ultraportable? The low voltage and ultra-low voltage version can easily accomodate those--will Apple build them?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    True if Apple release a MacIntel at MacWorld SF in Jan 2006.

If later (say June) it will be instead Merom (dualcore 32-bit) for iBook or Gilo (dualcore 64-bit) for PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

So what will Apple build with Yonah?

It is the Powerbook that needs desperately a CPU like this. We will have to wait one year to see it though.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

It is the Powerbook that needs desperately a CPU like this. We will have to wait one year to see it though.

Yonah is 6 to 8 months away. We could see it at MWSF.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hell the specs will be even better in a year.

We'll soon see the fruits of this labor. "All of a sudden...I feel....happy"
  • Reply 5 of 42
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Yonah is 6 to 8 months away. We could see it at MWSF.

Well, yes, but if I am not mistaken, Apple said that the first Intel-based Macintosh will be ready for 6/6/2006.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    6/6/6, nice.

I want an ultraportable machine with no optical drive. Give it to me!
  • Reply 7 of 42
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Well, yes, but if I am not mistaken, Apple said that the first Intel-based Macintosh will be ready for 6/6/2006.

Steve Jobs said that they will be in the marketplace by the next WWDC. So it will be within a year.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwdawso

Steve Jobs said that they will be in the marketplace by the next WWDC. So it will be within a year.

Also, we have his word that we will get 3GHz G5s in -1 year. So, there is a lot to look foward to. :0
  • Reply 9 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    hey we got 3.6 ghz by summer of 2005 !!

only problem is the chip is intel and it is a dev platform.

I wonder what those special microsoft Development/demo Xboxes running on the power chip really had under the hood???

Microsoft has known about this for some time.

gonna be a fun 18 month of specualation.

• Reply 10 of 42
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Apple could also use the low-voltage Yonah's for some nice dual-core iBooks with 10 hour battery life.

I'll believe that battery life when I see it... we've been promised long (long) notebook battery life for years with every new battery invention and it has NEVER materialized.

The approx. 4 hours my current iBook gets is acceptable, but it still won't keep me powered for a coast-to-coast flight.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Holy hell I just noticed something that makes me love Intel.

Pentium Yonah: It's Portable, Like the Jews!?
  • Reply 12 of 42
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Coming in the first quarter of 2006. These are essentially dual-core versions of the Pentium-M found in Centrino laptops.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23774

Dual core Yonah's with 2MB on-die L2 cache (~25 watts)

x50 (2.16 GHz) : $636

x40 (2.00 GHz) : $420

x30 (1.83 GHz) : $295

x20 (1.66 Ghz) : $240

Low voltage dual core (also 2MB L2 cache) versions (~15 Watts!)

x48 (1.66 GHz) : $315

x38 (1.50 GHz) : $285

Ultra-low voltage versions, single core (3-10 watts) - second quarter of 2006

So what will Apple build with Yonah? I can easily see the x20 going into the Mac Mini. Apple could also use the low-voltage Yonah's for some nice dual-core iBooks with 10 hour battery life. And of course, the Powerbook will probably end up with the x50.

But what about the tablet Mac or a Newton-sized mac ultraportable? The low voltage and ultra-low voltage version can easily accomodate those--will Apple build them?

I have a very simple and basic question, but perhaps it can't be answered ?

Are these prices REAL, are they realistic, or are they just for the consumption of the press and Intel share holders ??

And do the actual prices drop RAPIDLY as quantities increase, more rapidly then IBM or AMD ???

I bet they DO but I have no evidence.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

6/6/6, nice.

I want an ultraportable machine with no optical drive. Give it to me!

YAH !!!

I always thought putting an optical drive standard on the laptop is a bit strange.

Make the laptop small and light and include a super featured external drive.

Without the optical you could have two battery bays !!!
  • Reply 14 of 42
    "Pentium Yonah: It's Portable, Like the Jews!"

...that, and its designed by jews, in israel. the design team for the pentium m line of processors is in israel, and the code-names that come out of there are all archeological sites or places in the region.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Wow does this mean that we'll have the first anti-terrorist, Patriot Act inclusive, DRM protected, virus and malware free Intel boxxen?
  • Reply 16 of 42
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Pentium Yonah: It's Portable, Like the Jews!

Is this shit seriously in Intel's site or is it just a joke?
  • Reply 17 of 42
    "Is this shit seriously in Intel's site or is it just a joke?"

yea, it's part of intel's new offensive ad campaign... then comes "Intel Pentium M Merom - your bube will crap her pants" followed by the first step in the processor roadmap to peace - "Pentium M Gaza"
  • Reply 18 of 42
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Very funny.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I'm very excited by the idea of Centrino Macintosh systems using "Napa" specs (Pentium-M Yonah and other new chips).

My one hope is for a "miniBook," an ultra-slim Mac laptop. I'd love to have a slim, 3-pound laptop from Apple. With an x20 or x30, ATI mobile video processor and Intel's onboard wifi, it'd be a great little portable.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    With an iPod style 60GB HD, ultra-mega-slim. This kind of shiznit is just not possible with a G5.