List of Apps that will need a total overhaul to run on Intel Macs

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Very curious to see which Applications will need to be virtually rewritten to work well on Intel based macs.

At a guess I would say

Pro-tools, almost certainly.

please add anything you have some knowledge on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    What do you think this means for Window's only apps? Will developer's feel it's an easier or more economical decision to try their hand at mac development now that the processor is familiar to them?

Well AutoCad finally make it to the mac?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Very curious to see which Applications will need to be virtually rewritten to work well on Intel based macs.

At a guess I would say

Pro-tools, almost certainly.

please add anything you have some knowledge on.

The only apps that would need a complete overhaul would be apps written in something other than xcode, and/or something that is still 100% carbon that does not run on OS X.

Anything Cocoa based should be fairly simple. Developers who's apps are still full of legacy OS9 Carbon stuff would need a bit more tweaking, but for the most part it should be an easy transition. They had a working version of a wolfram research internal developmental version of Mathmatica in 2 hours.

I would think that Pro-Tools was written in XCode, therefore it wouldn't be that big of a deal. If it is still mostly Carbon based, they still were working on it regardless, so it's all about the same for them in that scenario. But after all this time they should have moved all their code native to Cocoa anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    All Macromedia products are developed in Metroworks, so they are going to need a complete overhaul.

Microsoft as well. Since they committed to the new platform and are well funded, they will make an interesting case study in how easy/hard it is to switch to all XCode.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Macromedia is being bought out by Adobe so there is no problem there.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Pro Apps need to be rewritten?

Didn't Jobs say that every app at Apple had to be written for both PPC and x86.

I'm pretty sure he said that during the keynote.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, he sure did.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Anything that heavily relies on Altivec will need a lot of work, especially since SSE3 isn't nearly as good.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hugihugi Posts: 33member
    CodeWarrior
  • Reply 9 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macrules101

Pro Apps need to be rewritten?

Didn't Jobs say that every app at Apple had to be written for both PPC and x86.

I'm pretty sure he said that during the keynote.

Actually I thought he only said every version of the the OS was written for intel, and PPC processors, but I only watched it once, and I was getting a terrible stream at times.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    He specifically said 'every project'. Now what constitutes a 'project' is anyone's guess.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Actually I thought he only said every version of the the OS was written for intel, and PPC processors, but I only watched it once, and I was getting a terrible stream at times.

Just to pick nits, he said that every project was compiled on the PPC and on Intel. You will notice OSX was running well enough for a demo, but even Jobs admitted it wasn't ready to introduce yet. What people are getting is pre-release software.

I'm sure other Apps at Apple have gone through the same thing. But how much work they need to do to be ready for prime time is an unknown. It was amazing that Wolfram had something up and running, for instance, but there is no way Mathmatica has been fully tested on the new platform.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hugi

CodeWarrior

Haha, they're no doubt scrambling to get a Intel Mac solution up.