QT 7.0.1 & Jobs Keynote Address

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Has anyone else experienced poor playback or outright freezes when trying to view yesterday's keynote?

I rarely have trouble with viewing streams from the Apple site, could this be a bandwidth issue with so many people obviously trying to view this as well?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2112

Has anyone else experienced poor playback or outright freezes when trying to view yesterday's keynote?

I rarely have trouble with viewing streams from the Apple site, could this be a bandwidth issue with so many people obviously trying to view this as well?

Thanks in advance.

yup 7.0 i will not touch 7.1 til the divx thing is fixed. Network trafic last night, but nowit should be fine,
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 2112

Thanks in advance.

I watched the stream last night over Quicktime 7.0.1. I have DivX 5.2.1 installed. I had no problems, at all.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    21122112 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

yup 7.0 i will not touch 7.1 til the divx thing is fixed. Network trafic last night, but nowit should be fine,

I am not too well-versed on plug-ins (after reading your reply I realized I was still running a very old version of DivX and just installed the newest version, but can you school me on the problems you mentioned in your post?

I ask this because I do not understand what DivX does with regard to seamless QT playback? What I do know is that viewing QT streams in Safari is becoming a very unpleasant experience for me lately. I just did a comparison between Safari 1.3 and Explorer 5.2.3 and Explorer is much better and damn near perfect at playing video files without the hiccups. I really see no reason for this occur, but it is somewhat hampering my full transition to Safari as my primary browser. Is this something that Tiger has over Panther in correcting this probelm?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I watched the stream last night over Quicktime 7.0.1. I have DivX 5.2.1 installed. I had no problems, at all.

Me too. The only problem I encountered was if I paused the stream for too long. I'd click play and it would show that it was buffering data but then Quicktime would indicate that the stream timed out. I'd just have to click Play again and watch the quicktime logo again as it rebuffered.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    We watched the stream last night with only a few problems. Towards the end we hit a point where during two or three minutes of video it stopped a half dozen times. But it recovered on its own.

I was really impressed with the stream. Get info said it was an H.264 stream with native resolution of 640 x something (forgot). I doubled it to fill my PB screen. The frame rate was only about 10 - 12 fps at double size but the images were crystal clear and the audio was great. I just checked at at normal size I get 24 fps.

This is probably the first H.264 stream from Apple. The MWSF keynote stream is MPEG4 and 448 x 252, 15fps. The WWDC keynote is 640 x 360 and 24 fps with a similar bit rate (300 to 800 kbps). Pretty cool.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    Was anyone able to watch it on a lower powered mac ? my G3 ibook couldn't handle it, although it doesnt usually have problems with movie previews or divx movies. I tried QT 7.0 and that didnt work so I upgraded to 7.0.1 and that still didn't work.

I actually had to boot Windows on my desktop to watch the Keynote... which is definately a first for me ! The ibook had handled the others just fine.

As well as that, Apple really should consider releasing Quicktime binaries for Linux. I very much dislike booting Windows
  • Reply 7 of 15
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    At first, when I loaded up the keynote, I got a dinky little postage stamp of video. I was sorely disappointed... then I went into Quicktime Preferences and changed my speed from "Automatic" to something closer to my real download speed.

Wow! 640x480 video, beautiful crisp picture... little pixelizing and framedrops, plus the audio started popping after pausing the video and restarting. But, man, that's a world of difference from just a few years ago.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Wow! 640x480 video, beautiful crisp picture... little pixelizing and framedrops, plus the audio started popping after pausing the video and restarting. But, man, that's a world of difference from just a few years ago.

640 x 360, it has a 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Close enough.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I have QT6 Pro but can't see it at all. I get a connection error.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I experienced constant freezes and other issues on the first day it was availble for streaming. In particular, audio sync made the video almost impossible to watch.

Last night it played with good but not great audio sync and at around 10fps. QT7 claimed that it was playing at the actual frame rate but it definately was not. This was on a dual 1.3 with a 100mhz bus and a radeon 9800pro at agp 2x.

I too made use of a windows machine to watch the stream in it's full glory. The picture quality was awesome! Too bad my mac can't seem to play it properly no matter the resolution.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

I have QT6 Pro but can't see it at all. I get a connection error.

I don't think QT6 can handle H.264 video.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    It's probably not in H.264 since I had no problem watching the keynote on QuickTime 6 for Windows. (No, I haven't upgraded to QT 7 Preview yet.)

Or perhaps there's some kind of background switch that moves the stream over to H. 264 if the software supports it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

It's probably not in H.264 since I had no problem watching the keynote on QuickTime 6 for Windows. (No, I haven't upgraded to QT 7 Preview yet.)

Or perhaps there's some kind of background switch that moves the stream over to H. 264 if the software supports it.

It was encoded in two formats...the usual old format they've always used for previous keynotes, and H.264 for people with QT7.

For the first time ever, you could actually see what the hell he was doing on the computer. It was pretty crisp. As before it was blurry and you'd have to really guess what he was doing.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

yup me too, overall not too many problems given me being on the otherside of the world, across the pacific in a smallish south east asian country

i swear my neighbour's wireless router is going to explode though the way it's being pounded (we are sharing broadband)... that dLink router feels so hot like it's going to melt through his bedroom floor Aliens 'acid blood' style...

BTW, quicktime 7.0.1 h.264 encoding seems to take full precedence CPU wise, which is good, when encoding, and setting power savings (CPU) to highest processor performance.....

640mb of ram, and my CPU bar is 100% . sweet now i know i'm getting my money's worth from my iBook g4 933mhz