Tiger Registration

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but it looks to me as though the Tiger upgrade to 10.4 on a CD is only part of Tiger. You get the rest of it when you download the 10.4.1 upgrade, which you are only allowed to do once you have registered. Do I have that right?

If that's right, I have to presume it is a method for policing the innumerable semi-honest customers who would distribute their disc to their friends as a pirated copy, raising the cost of the product to the honest rest of us. Maybe it can be defended that way, but I still don't like it to be unacknowledged.

1. It creates confusion and wastes time, because you think the product has bugs that will in fact mysteriously disappear when you add the missing 10.4.1 components.

2. It creates the potential for real snafu to occur when an unsuspecting user goes ahead and plays around with 10.4.0, and some unanticipated conflict gets triggered. Some of my Microsoft Office for Mac fonts got screwed up, and I wouln't be surprised if this was how it happened.

3. It creates the opportunity for someone to try out the new OS. decide it isn't ready, and try to back out. Whether you can unscramble this egg or not isn't clear, but if the half-installed process becomes widespread, you can be sure someone will think of trapping customers that way.

4. And finally, it forces 100% of customers to register. Do you suppose George Bush wants to have his office gadgets traced? Or the President of General Motors, or the editor of a newspaper? You don't have to be the ruler of the free world to want to protect your personal privacy. Somebody once said that an important right was left out of the Constitution -- the right to be left alone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    There is no requirement to register ANY macOS ...

Also no requirement to register for updates.

Perhaps the auto-update feature requires registration (I couldn't say for sure either way, but I doubt it.) ... but you can dwnload updates from the Apple website without "registering" our copy of Tiger (or any MacOS).

And no .... 10.4.1 is not "the rest of Tiger" ... it's an honest attempt to fix a bunch of bugs that didn't make the cut at 10.4.0 .... 10/4/1 doesn't add any features , it just fixes some bugs that didn't affect most people, but needed to be fixed for the folks they DID affect.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

And no .... 10.4.1 is not "the rest of Tiger" ... it's an honest attempt to fix a bunch of bugs that didn't make the cut at 10.4.0

Hmm... and the difference is? A non-working feature is as good as not having that feature at all to some.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have installed Tiger on a machine where I upgraded and cancelled registration. Software Update works normally, as I expected it to.

I don't know who told you that there were draconian registration requirements. What you expected sounds like business as usual in the Windows world though.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Did it, at least, fix the bugs? (No Tiger yet).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Yes, the CD's only come iwth 10.4.0, so??? It does cots money to repackage CD's with the newest OS. It takes them 1-2 months to update all of their systems with the latest preinstalled OS version, same with the CD's and DVD's. So, by the time 10.4.2 comes out, everything will probably be upgraded to 10.4.1, just the way it works. The first thing I do is to do Software Update. Most people aren't running dial-up anymore, so teh update isn't that big of a deal. And none of the bugs were that huge. I ran Tiger since the day it came out and never had any noticable problems. 10.4.1 isn't "the rest" of Tiger, it is updates, like Mail 2.0 to 2.0.1.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to register, and who really cares? So Apple has your street address somehwere in its database. What are they going to do with it? And as far as George Bush goes, everybody knows his street address, and do you really think Apple is going to call the whitehouse? It is just to keep track of who's buying their products and so it is easier to get support.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Yes, the CD's only come iwth 10.4.0, so??? It does cots money to repackage CD's with the newest OS. It takes them 1-2 months to update all of their systems with the latest preinstalled OS version, same with the CD's and DVD's. So, by the time 10.4.2 comes out, everything will probably be upgraded to 10.4.1, just the way it works. The first thing I do is to do Software Update. Most people aren't running dial-up anymore, so teh update isn't that big of a deal. And none of the bugs were that huge. I ran Tiger since the day it came out and never had any noticable problems. 10.4.1 isn't "the rest" of Tiger, it is updates, like Mail 2.0 to 2.0.1.

EDIT: Also, you don't have to register, and who really cares? So Apple has your street address somehwere in its database. What are they going to do with it? And as far as George Bush goes, everybody knows his street address, and do you really think Apple is going to call the whitehouse? It is just to keep track of who's buying their products and so it is easier to get support.

First off it's a DVD and secondly they use the details to see where people buy Macs, what they use them for etc. This helps them move as a company for the majority but also tells them where to open an Apple store! They do not pass on the details.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

First off it's a DVD and secondly they use the details to see where people buy Macs, what they use them for etc. This helps them move as a company for the majority but also tells them where to open an Apple store! They do not pass on the details.

Well, in his original post he said CD, so i assumed he had ordered the CD version. I know it ships on DVD, I ordered it

On the registration part, that was (basically) what I was trying to say. You just amde it sound better Main point is they don't give out any information, it is just used for research and to better serve their customers.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by football751

Well, in his original post he said CD, so i assumed he had ordered the CD version. I know it ships on DVD, I ordered it

On the registration part, that was (basically) what I was trying to say. You just amde it sound better Main point is they don't give out any information, it is just used for research and to better serve their customers.

I wasn't aiming it all at you - you both said CD well technically it would be CDs or DVD! But what you said was right.

And no there are still all the bugs I noticed before.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I'm thinking that the "Family Pack" that allows you to install Tiger on up to four computers within your household is a scam. No registration number required. Just a thought!!!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Um, don't feed the trolls?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ishawnishawn Posts: 364member
    Quote:

Originally posted by youcanhaveyourpc

I'm thinking that the "Family Pack" that allows you to install Tiger on up to four computers within your household is a scam. No registration number required. Just a thought!!!

Much like the honor system candy bars at local shops.