Extremely powerful Pentium system used to demo Mac OS X on Intel

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What happened to this news item and the thread? My RSS feed can still see it but it has disappeared. Is there a legal reason?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    No, it just turned out to not be such a good story after all...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    what happened - where is it?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    I missed whatever was here but with a topic like:

I have to ask... did anyone else notice that apart from running loads of dashboard widgets at once Steve looked to be closing down every app before he opened the next? Was he just being tidy or is there a something more??

ps, it was late when i watched the webcast and I'd been crying all night lol I may have got it all wrong
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by onyx-pb

I missed whatever was here but with a topic like:

I have to ask... did anyone else notice that apart from running loads of dashboard widgets at once Steve looked to be closing down every app before he opened the next? Was he just being tidy or is there a something more??

ps, it was late when i watched the webcast and I'd been crying all night lol I may have got it all wrong

I didn't really notice, but I did notice that when he opened up a few word docs, excel, and a few photoshop documents, that there was no real lag other than the standard time that photoshop *always* takes when starting up.

I dunno, for on-the-fly binary translation, i was pretty impressed. I mean, the technology is a year away and it looked pretty good to me. The native apps launched in a blink of an eye and seemed to run fine. Even iPhoto looked fast.

Moreover, this is a super-early development system. Overall, I was pretty pleased with what I saw.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The rumours were that FOUR Pentium 4s were needed for this speed!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I too noticed the lag, and if that is true it's not good.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

I too noticed the lag, and if that is true it's not good.

well maybe this proves that Apple's benchmarks were right - G5s completely beat P4s. Oh shit - someone should tell Steve.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    gameguy56gameguy56 Posts: 28member
    If there really were 4 p4s, it would be an engineering feat, considering only xeons can be MP.

Also, if there were 4 p4s, wouldn't you be able to hear the fans running from the audience?, those things are massive heat producers.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by gameguy56

haha, if there really were 4 p4s, it would be an engineering feat, considering only xeons can be MP.

Also, if there were 4 p4s, wouldn't you be able to hear the fans running from the audience?

yeah maybe that's why the original thread was deleted (maybe Intel gave them a pre-release version of MP?)
  • Reply 10 of 15
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Quote:

yeah maybe that's why the original thread was deleted (maybe Intel gave them a pre-release version of MP?)

Or the more obvious reason (stated in the now-missing thread) that someone misread the "Pentium 4" in the About Box displayed during the keynote and assumed that the "4" meant four processors.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Jeez, the system is a single 3.6GHz Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading and integrated graphics.

There are hundreds of them here at WWDC.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    blackwaveblackwave Posts: 84member
    The body's of these computers are inclosed in what kind of case?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackwave

The body's of these computers are inclosed in what kind of case?

PowerMac
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onyx-pb

You're correct in saying that you may have gotten it wrong.

If you watch the Keynote again (He begins the demo at about 28 minutes) you will see that he's simply closing the window of the app, not quitting it.

He has Preview, Dashboard, iCal, Mail, Safari, iPhoto and QuickTime Player all open at the same time.

Plus, iPhoto looks very responsive, especially when he enlarges the pictures.

And I'm not buying the four Pentium BS.

People like to make shit up.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Since Kasper closed the other thread, this thread is also closed. The story was based on bad info.