shortcut keys for Dictionary

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I read somewhere that there are shortcut keys for Dictionary while reading a document, and that is very handy,but i lost it......

can anyone help pls.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mattsmatts Posts: 37member
    In Tiger (myself right now back in Panther, so I can't check) the key combo should be Command-Control-D: it will load and display a dictionary entry for the word the mouse is hovering over in Safari. Keeping Command-Control down (but letting the D go) will let you mouse around and the dictionary will load new entries as you go.

-matts
  • Reply 2 of 7
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thanks, got it,

this is good stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i still can't get this to work! even with dictionary in the applications folder!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by matts

In Tiger (myself right now back in Panther, so I can't check) the key combo should be Command-Control-D: it will load and display a dictionary entry for the word the mouse is hovering over in Safari. Keeping Command-Control down (but letting the D go) will let you mouse around and the dictionary will load new entries as you go.

-matts

And, if you want a different key combo, Keyboard Shortcuts pane of the Keyboard and Mouse pane of the System Prefs lets you change it. Click the arrow next to "Dictionary".
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thanks,

i changed it to command-Z, i am just lazy.....
  • Reply 6 of 7
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

thanks,

i changed it to command-Z, i am just lazy.....

I hope you don't make mistakes, since you'll have trouble using Undo with Command-Z attached to another function.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

I hope you don't make mistakes, since you'll have trouble using Undo with Command-Z attached to another function.

yeah, i am aware of that, but i seldom use the other function.