Who's a swimmer?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I've never really been a swimmer in my life, but this summer I've been going to the pool a lot, like three or four times every week. But I'm more of a leisure swimmer.

I'd like to get into swimming laps for fitness, but I kind of suck at freestyle. I think my breast stroke is not bad, but I learned to swim when I was like 8, so I have no idea about proper technique. And I definitely need to improve my endurance.

That said, I have been working on swimming underwater. I have a goal of swimming the full length of a 50 meter pool without surfacing, by the end of this summer. I think I'm half way there right now, at least. My lungs are getting better, my glide is getting better, and I'm relaxing a lot more, so I think I should be able to make it. I always see these movies and TV shows where people swim under the ocean for minutes to reach underwater caves, and I know that's fiction, but the idea of that seems incredibly romantic to me. Of course, light would be a problem, wouldn't it?

I've never learned the butterfly, but I'd like to learn. However, I have proportionately thin legs, and I guess the butterfly is better suited for those with very strong legs. Last week, I saw a 10 year-old kid just booking with a strong dolphin kick, and I was really impressed.

So, does anybody have any tips for me? How about your own swimming? Does anybody have any stories to share?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So, does anybody have any tips for me? How about your own swimming? Does anybody have any stories to share?

Any photos of (attractive) members in swimming costumes would also be appreciated...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

Any photos of (attractive) members in swimming costumes would also be appreciated...

Make sure you get their consent first!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Also not sure if we want to see attractive "members"

• Reply 4 of 21
    mrtwistormrtwistor Posts: 81member
    I swim a lot in the ocean - my technique is pretty poor but I can swim two miles against a current if needed. My brother is a great swimmer - he was capatin of the University of Miami swimming and diving team, and won the lifeguard ironman competition here four years in a row. 50 meters underwater would be very impressive - 25 is not bad. The best people to get advice about swimming are lifeguards - they also know a lot about other types of physical training as well.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I don't swim much, never have, and can only swim "frog style". I have natural talent for holding breath, though. When I was a kid I could float limp without breathing for over 3 minutes - at times unnerving people who hadn't seen me float before. Once in secondary school biology class we got to use an airflow meter to measure lung capacity. I got 5 liters, next best guy 3.5l, best girl at 2.5l. Class was about 25 kids. At that time I managed a 45m dive, while only swimming as mandatory school exercise, less than 5 times a year.

I'm not sure how I would do now after 10 years. Definitely worse in static floating, since I have grown heavier and necessarily consume more oxygen. Dive length might increase, but probably not, since I'm geared more for max strength than aerobic exercise now. In any case I get headache from any breath holding and consider it unhealthy.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have a big lung capacity, but I'm a pretty stringy guy, and I just don't float very well. Otherwise, I live on the beach and swim around from time to time, but I can't do the frog kick, because it seems to twist my knee (right one only) enough to bring back some hints of an old rugby injury.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    i've lived in australia for a total of maybe 6 years in the past 10 years... i luv the beach, sydney has some great pools, tried surfing a few times (i can get on the board but can't stay up), swimming is greattt

i can't do it too much though because the physical exertion, water, chill, etc... it affects my immune system and i tend to catch colds easily

right now i'm in KL malaysia so i go to a local sports club type thing, trying to put in a once-a-week swim.

but sydney... damn that was awesome dude ~ you can swim in the freshwater pool, sea-pools, the sea, rivers, waterfalls, and little coves with amazingly clear water and corals and stuff

oh there are risks of sharks though and dangerous currents sometimes... very very low risk, but, it's been known to happen if you don't know what you're doing
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jamwicjamwic Posts: 3member
    I used to be on the swim team at my country club when I was younger. I did quite well and even got on the record board for one of the backstroke races. However, I quit because I had to get up so early in order to go to practice and because I didn't particularly care for the Speedo swimsuits.

Last summer my family put in a pool in the backyard. It is a simple pool, but fits very nicely into the backyard. Only about 15' x 30' in dimensions, it's not big enough to do any sort of serious exercise. I like to swim in the pool once a day, if I have time.

As for the exercise, I either go back to the country club or to my health club. You should consider getting back into swimming. It's great exercise and is considered by many to be the most efficient, as far a burning calories, as any type of exercise out there.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JAMWIC

As for the exercise, I either go back to the country club or to my health club. You should consider getting back into swimming. It's great exercise and is considered by many to be the most efficient, as far a burning calories, as any type of exercise out there.

i've been trying to switch over to swimming over the past few years instead of jogging because its much more total body and much more low impact (oh and i don't smoke.)
  • Reply 10 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Way better than working out in a sweaty gym

I would put gyms in an almost totally different category. Gym is for hitting weights. Weights are for 1) maximum and 2) explosive power. Swimming is aerobic training mostly.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

I would put gyms in an almost totally different category. Gym is for hitting weights. Weights are for 1) maximum and 2) explosive power. Swimming is aerobic training mostly.

It depends which excercises you do. A traditional Russian kettlebell workout seems be more about endurance than pure explosive strength.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    hmmm, funny I should come accross this thread. I had same idea in mind. I've gotten totally out of shape and dont really feel llike going to gym.. but I do want to get in shape. I've been "swimming" since before I could walk and scuba diving, and holding breath, etc. My max time is 1:45 underwater with head just below water.

Aaaaaanyway, like tonton, I never had formal training in swimming and want to develop upper torso and arms... and if possible, impede any further growth on the love handle department (damn things just come out of nowehere! bastards!!!)

Hope to find some nice places here in Paris for swimming... and hope they dont let frikken Poodles in :P
  • Reply 13 of 21
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use to swim alot. From 6 years old thru college. 2-a-days during the season. If you want to learn butterfly start with fins on. It will help you get the right motion and feel for how the stroke should be. You should be able to get 50 meters underwater by the end of summer, unless you are old and out of shape like some of us.

reg
  • Reply 14 of 21
    I was a swimmer. Summer league from age 8 to 18. high school team, junior college team. Water polo as well. Got burned out, only so many hours one can spend in life being isolated, in pain or at least discomfort, looking at tiles and counting laps. I had a break fro many years and now enjoy when I have chance to go back in the water. My brain still nows what to do even if the body can't do it for very long (I'm still talking about swimming here).

I like to go diving now, so my ability to hold my breath and feel comfortable in the water still comes in handy. At my peak I could do 100 yards underwater on one breath (25 yard pool).

BTW. My legs suck and I can still do the butterfly. I was really the worst on any team I've ever been on when it came to kicking practice. My dolphin kick just does the job of keeping my legs from sinking. The rest is all arms. In water polo wwe use to do 40 laps of butterfly to build endurance. We stopped fro a few seconds after each lap and waited for teh whistle to blow. Coach always lost track and made us do more than 40. Great way to blow the chunks out of your arteries.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    Ive been competition swimming since i was around 1st grade. I love to swim, i had to give up wrestling(which i also had been doing for a lifetime) to swim in high school. i still cant make up my mind if i made the wrong decision or not. even tho im very successful in swimming.. ill never know how it could have been if i went the other path.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

I think my breast stroke is not bad...

Mmmm... breast stroke....

- T. I.