Read this BEFORE buying new Hardware

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've been using the <a href="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=yellJ48RGOU&offerid=29496.10000102&type=1 &subid=0" target="_blank">Blue Card from American Express</a> for awhile now and just wanted to point out its features to those who don't know since it's saved me alot of cash.

The card has a 60 day low price guarantee which means if new models are introduced within 60 days (maybe new PowerMacs or TiBooks?), you will be refunded the difference of the price drop in the model you bought. Also, you can buy the new iMac at your local store then pricematch it to the best online price and get the difference back in cash. This feature has saved me alot of cash in my electronics purchases since prices seem to always go down the week after I buy something. Also, you can use it to pricematch your purchases to seedy internet retailers who you would never want to buy from but have the best prices.

Other cool things about the card are that you can get single use credit card numbers so you don't have to worry about making purchases online; The card increases the warranty of products you buy; You are protected against theft, and more with NO ANNUAL FEE..

Check it out: <a href="http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=yellJ48RGOU&offerid=29496.10000102&type=1 &subid=0" target="_blank">Blue from American Express</a>

The reason I bring this up in current hardware is because the TiBooks and PowerMacs look like they will be updated within 60 days so those considering purchasing them should be aware of this price protection.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: eric ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    yep, great card. I'm getting the difference of the combo drive for my Powerbook
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ericeric Posts: 25member
    That's great. How much money are you getting back?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Thanks Eric. that's the best post I've seen in my 21 years here at AI!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    Eric:

I was intrigued by this part of the link you included:

&afflSID=15066553

since it looks like an "affiliate ID" number.

Then I found this page:

<a href="http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,750,00.asp"; target="_blank">http://www10.americanexpress.com/sif/cda/page/0,1641,750,00.asp</a>;

which reads, in part:

[quote]

The American Express Affiliate Program is a way for you to make money through your Web site by including American Express promotional links. You will earn a commission each time an American Express product or service is sold through your site. We are committed to making this a successful partnership by providing a broad array of products and numerous creative formats so you can maximize your profits.

American Express Affiliates earn $25-$45 for each approved customer they generate!

<hr></blockquote>

I suspect not just charitable goodwill led you to post this, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Your post made me crack up! I wish I was getting 40 dollars for everyone who signs up using that link.

Sorry to toss your conspiracy theory aside since it looks like you spent a long time on this but I just posted the link from a promotional email which I received shortly after the keynote that was the inspiration for my post.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I think you are limited to $100 or $200 per year of price reimbursement from American express. Probably works great once a year for things like a speed bumped TiBook but it won't pay you back for everything.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    I don't use. creidft cards. I don't like spending money I don't have yet. Debit cards all the way, baby!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>I don't use. creidft cards. I don't like spending money I don't have yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was my stance when I was growing up in Europe. Then I moved to the US and was assimilated by the local consumer culture. I now have several credit cards... and a Kazillion Dollars in debt.

Seriously though. In this modern world, credit cards offer a lot of benefits for both Internet and bricks-and-mortar shopping. If you pay your credit card bill in full at the end of each month, the money you have actually earns interest in you bank account before you send it to the credit card company.

The only (theoretical) downside to credit cards is that it imposes a "tax" (3% for Visa and Mastercard, ca. 6% for AmEx) on resellers in form of the fee they pay to the credit card companies. If this is your concern, then the fee-less debit card systems, e.g. EC Direct in Europe, do indeed make more sense.

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 10
    The Blue Card gives you up to $1,000 a year in reimbursements. The limit for each price match is $250
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>

The only (theoretical) downside to credit cards is that it imposes a "tax" (3% for Visa and Mastercard, ca. 6% for AmEx) on resellers in form of the fee they pay to the credit card companies. If this is your concern, then the fee-less debit card systems, e.g. EC Direct in Europe, do indeed make more sense.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The discount you mention -- 3-6% -- is nowhere near that high if you do business with the right merchant services company. I own a pretty small online mail order business and I'm paying between 2-3%, and the more you process, the lower the fees.

Besides, there are drawbacks to payment by cash (pain in the ass dealing with lots of currency and frequent trips to the bank) and checks (bounces, post-dates, incorrect amounts, etc.).

But this new Amex Blue deal sounds great. How can they possibly make money on that?