New iMac RAM Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does the new iMac use the same kind of RAM found in the Classic iMac? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    It says PC100 in the tech specs.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Thanks. I guess that answers it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Are 1GB dimms available yet? I wonder if the new iMac will go to 2GB?

I know they say 1GB, but as in other models they're probably just multiplying the biggest commercially available dimm by the number of slots.

OSX recognizes 4GB no? 2GB in a G4 iMac would be pretty sweet! But so is 1GB

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    1 GB is still a ton for a consumer machine...

Still sounds funny to me really.

800 MHz G4

60 GB HD

SuperDrive

1 GB RAM

Apple's "Consumer" Machine.

How far we've come, eh? A year ago this would make the pro users drool.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    You're gonna laugh when you read this.

Apple uses two RAM slots, one is easily accessible to the user, the other one is not. Each one uses a different type of RAM (DIMM and SODIMM).

From the iMac FAQ:

[quote]What are the memory configurations of iMac?

There are two memory slots ? an internal 168-pin slot and a user-accessible SO-DIMM slot. iMac comes with 128MB or 256MB of RAM in the internal memory slot. The second slot is open and holds the same industry-standard type of RAM used in the iBook and PowerBook G4. iMac supports a total of up to 1GB of RAM.

Can the memory in the internal memory slot be changed?

You can easily add as much as 512MB of additional RAM to the user-accessible SO-DIMM slot for a total of up to 768MB (depending on the model), which is more than enough for just about any task. If necessary, the memory in the internal slot can be upgraded by an authorized Apple service technician.<hr></blockquote>

Ah, the sacrifices made to aesthetics!

SdC
  • Reply 6 of 8
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yep...but 768 of ram sounds GREAT to me...i will be adding 512 to my iMac as soon as it ships...(listed as BEING ASSEMBLED at apple site!!! of course that means 3 weeks to shipping probably....but, as they say, when it gets here, it gets here).... i really don't think i will notice any difference between 768 and 1 gig of ram...i am just a consumer, not a pro user....and i figure it should kick the butt of my current G3 iMac DV 400 MHz with 10 gig HD and 386 of ram....really looking forward to that 60 gig HD....who would of thought that 10 gig is too small?? my first mac was a quadra 605 with a 160 mb hd and i think only 4 of ram!!! g

i already love the new iMac and i ain't got it yet...i just want to swivel that screen baby all night long...ooppss to much information... g
  • Reply 7 of 8
    damn how come apple didn't make the so-dimm the harder one and the dimm the easier one.

Dimm's are much cheaper then so-dimm's.. especially in 512mb.. grrr
  • Reply 8 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Have you guys been watching RAM prices?!?!

Jesus, they're going up... a 256 MB SO-DIMM chip that was $40 2 weeks ago is now creeping up around $55-66.

My local dealer here just told me that they expect RAM to double from it's price of 2 weeks ago, in about another week or 2. They bought quite a lot of RAM a couple of months ago, and their supplier just offered to buy alot of it back. They will pay the reseller more than they are charging for it right now to buy it back!

If you are getting a new iMac and planning on buying RAM for it, I'd get in NOW.

Just go to <a href="http://www.ramseeker.com"; target="_blank">Ramseeker</a> and check it out for yourself.

I might be out to lunch on this, but I could have sworn these prices were 40% lower 2 weeks ago... I know myself, I was buying 256 MB SO-DIMMS for $65 CDN a few weeks ago, now they're up to $100 CDN!

:eek:

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>