iMac disappointment

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I love the new iMac. It's beautiful, powerful and practical.

But it would have taken Apple a minimum of effort to have included the following:

1. Rotatable (orientation) screen.

The lack of this feature is just bizarre. If I ever get a new iMac, I will try to see if this can be hacked.

2. Monitor spanning.

I know Apple restricts this to preserve PowerMac sales, and it really pisses me off.

At first glance, the iMac is gorgeous, and it certainly will sell well. But at second glance, it's simply Cube II with a fixed monitor and no possibility for screen choice. For this reason, the Cube looks really good in comparison.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

I love the new iMac. It's beautiful, powerful and practical.

But it would have taken Apple a minimum of effort to have included the following:

1. Rotatable (orientation) screen.

The lack of this feature is just bizarre. If I ever get a new iMac, I will try to see if this can be hacked.<hr></blockquote>

Really? This is much more expesive and harder than you might guess. Aside from software issues, the mechanical aspects would probably drive the price up greatly. How many people actually use portrait-display computers? Why did they never catch on? Hmm...

[quote]2. Monitor spanning.

I know Apple restricts this to preserve PowerMac sales, and it really pisses me off.<hr></blockquote>

Okay, let's say you manage to pack the TwinView card from NVidia in there, you've raised the price by $100 or more for a feature only a handful of professional users take advatage of. Is that fair to 90-95% of the people who buy this thing?

[quote]At first glance, the iMac is gorgeous, and it certainly will sell well. But at second glance, it's simply Cube II with a fixed monitor and no possibility for screen choice. For this reason, the Cube looks really good in comparison.<hr></blockquote>

Does it? I certainly wouldn't buy a cube today if they were trying to sell it at its original prices. If you want portrait display, multiple monitors, etc, just get a powermac.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Composer ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Composer:

<strong>

Does it? I certainly wouldn't buy a cube today if they were trying to sell it at its original prices. If you want portrait display, multiple monitors, etc, just get a powermac.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Composer ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

A rotatable device would be easy. The elbow on the arm would be easy to do. Just need a switch or sensor to send a USB signal to a driver. The driver SHOULD BE A PIECE OF QUARTZ CAKE! Quartz is amazing! It can do ANYTHING. 'cept rotate the full screen's image by 90 degree? I think it should be easy as hell.

Not for me but for someone. How 'hard' is it for (Sony) camcorders to 'flip' the picture once the LCD is rotated to face the subject matter? Huh? That's gotta be the exact same principle, just put in a 90 degree rotate instead of a mirro-type flip.

And that feature is on $299 SOny Camcorders FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Alright, but how do you do it without sacrificing design integrity and durability, "gloming" on more to the back of the display (such as a sensor), etc, without increasing the price. $1800 is quite a leap up from the previous iMac, wouldn't you say?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's a consumer machine. Most consumers don't need Monitor spanning.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Nobody wants GLOMING!