The "To Buy or Not to Buy" Official Thread (merged)

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by niji

apple will make boxes like mini that appeal to switchers. these will be low price.

however, apple will continue to make great mid and top end boxes that are not low in price and continue to attract the people like us who care about both design and performance.

Do you think the Intel Mac Mini's will be sub $499?

I also believe that the first product they release better be a show stopper or AI folks will be PISSED!
  • Reply 142 of 164
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanschmidt

After the recent announcements, those of us that were waiting for a PB G5 or just plain waiting to buy an Apple are now sitting here not sure of what to do.

So, oh wise ones, what should we do? Buy? Wait a week? A month? Stick with our blue screens? Please help.

Don't buy. No need to worry about losing product support. Expect SJ to say at WWDC 2006. "I'm here to officially let you know that the PPC platform is dead" "To the end users it may not be, but to you it is, as 10.5 won't support the PPC platform."
  • Reply 143 of 164
    Quote:

Originally posted by I hate Apple NOW

Don't buy. No need to worry about losing product support. Expect SJ to say at WWDC 2006. "I'm here to officially let you know that the PPC platform is dead" "To the end users it may not be, but to you it is, as 10.5 won't support the PPC platform."

I see you're wearing your heart on your sleeve with that username!

Why do you hate Apple so much? Is the chip that powers the machine that allows the best available OS to run?

OSX for Intel sucks, I'm sure. Change is bad!

Now where did I put that old LCII?
  • Reply 144 of 164
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I see you're wearing your heart on your sleeve with that username!

Why do you hate Apple so much? Is the chip that powers the machine that allows the best available OS to run?

OSX for Intel sucks, I'm sure. Change is bad!

Now where did I put that old LCII?

I hate intel, so by logic I can't love apple too much these days. The big question is. Did apple lie to us for the last 7+ years? As far as I can see it the Powermac series will die off (No PowerPC chips, no Powermac) They'll just have to call them the wintelmac.
  • Reply 145 of 164
    Quote:

I hate intel, so by logic I can't love apple too much these days. The big question is. Did apple lie to us for the last 7+ years? As far as I can see it the Powermac series will die off (No PowerPC chips, no Powermac) They'll just have to call them the wintelmac.

Why do you hate Intel? Is it about the hardware, for you? The OS is what is important to me.

What's next for you? A SparcStation?
  • Reply 146 of 164
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Why do you hate Intel? Is it about the hardware, for you? The OS is what is important to me.

What's next for you? A SparcStation?

I'll keep my G4, I will hate it when 10.5 (leopard?) comes out and doesn't support the PPC platform. I also expect that many ISVs won't support it either.
  • Reply 147 of 164
    Quote:

The chip change is not about the last 7 years it is about the next 7 years. PPC had some good times on top and some not so good times. We don't know what the roadmaps that were shown to SJ looked like, and I agree this whole switch to Intel is a big surprise. IBM was to be our saviour from motorola. Nonetheless, if Apple doesn't see a future with PPC, then that's that. Do you prefer several years of thread on how 'Wintel is crushing the Mac' followed by the 'OMG the MAC is dead' threads?

Let's face it. If the brief history of personal computing is any indication of the future, you may as well get use to the tree being shaken from time to time.

Change is the only constant.
  • Reply 148 of 164
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

I hate intel, apple, Powermac the wintelmac.

Why do you HATE Apple ??? Apple LOVE you, Apple want to be your friend !!!

Why do you HATE Intel ??? Intel LOVE you, Intel want to be your friend !!!

Hate is a bad thing, it will get you all tied up in knots and give you an upset tummy.

No calm down and eat those LOVELY mike and cookies...

Make LOVE not HATE !!!
  • Reply 149 of 164
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Adaptation is the key factor for any company to survive.

Apple saw that IBM would not fulfill their plans. Just like Moto did. so what they have to do to survive? join Intel. People hate Intel for whatever reasons. I really don't care what kind of chips my computer have. As long as the machine is fast and i can use my beloved OSX, who cares if is Intel, IBM. Moto or AMD. big deal!

Some people say PPC is dead. Well, not yet. For me I would be using a PPC machine until a rev b of the Mac Intel comes out. By then most of the applications probably will be running natively on Intel processors. So I am going to buy very soon the fastest PPC Powermac out there to keep me safe for the next 2 to 3 years.
  • Reply 150 of 164
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Well after much thought about this and since I've just moved away from Windows & bought a PM I've come to the conclusion that us MAC fans like to live on the edge.

Apple are still tons better than Window boxes and also I'm glad Apple are not letting all intel Pc's in the future have OSX installed on them. That way we still get better designed computers that are tightly intergrated with the OS and not some crappy design like most other Window machines.The best thing is we should be seeing some tasty graphic cards on the way and the lastest hardware!

I believe in Apple so I say lets stand by Stevie boy's desicion. Either that or defect to Windows!!...don't think so.
  • Reply 151 of 164
    Quote:

I will hate it when 10.5 (leopard?) comes out and doesn't support the PPC platform.

Leopard (10.5) will support PPC, and chances are 99.9% that 10.6 will as well and most likely even 10.7 though that depends on how far out in the future it will be released - I would guess that Apple will continue support for PPC in Mac OS X until at least 2010.

Anyhow, thinking that 10.5 will not be supported on PPC is just plain foolish. Calm down, you are being overly emotional about this.
  • Reply 152 of 164
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Why hate Intel? IBM and FreeScale are responsible for this change in CPU, by not preparing to make competitive chips for Apple's future. Apple's CPU purchase was not sufficient to motivate them. Game consoles got all IBM's attention in the last year.

I'm expecting Apple to give us a solid commitment for how long it will support today's Macs on new versions of OS X. Don't forget, Apple will want to continue selling PPC Macs until the transition is complete. If somebody wants to start a poll on this commitment, I'd put down 2012. Also, if it is made easy to build both versions of Cocoa applications, I see no reason most developers would not continue to support the PPC Macs too. Extra sales are extra sales. If customers suspect support for PPC Macs will dry up the moment Mac is all Intel, almost nobody will buy. I'm sure Apple knows this.
  • Reply 153 of 164
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Don't they have to switch the PowerMacs sooner because that's what developers use? Or will they expect developers to do coding in XCode 2.1 on PPC and test for compatibility on PowerBooks? That's nonsensical.

PowerMacs will be one of the FIRST machines to change.

I'd expect it to go:

PowerBook -> Mac Book with Intel Processor

PowerMac -> Mac Tower with Intel Processor

then...

iMac -> iMac with Intel Processor

Mac Mini -> Mac Mini with Intel Processor

iBook -> iBook with Intel Processor

eMac -> discontinued.

In the short term, they can release speed-bumped iBooks because nobody cares anymore whether they overlap the PowerBooks.
  • Reply 154 of 164
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

PowerMacs will be one of the FIRST machines to change.

I hope your right, but why do you think that? I thought the mini would be the first.

This is from Ars: check out the bottom table:

http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars

• Reply 155 of 164
    mark10antmark10ant Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I hope your right, but why do you think that? I thought the mini would be the first.

This is from Ars: check out the bottom table:

http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars

Interesting table but I have a problem with one part of it....

iMac suggested to get this 'Sossaman' processor which, from what I've read isn't 64-bit architecture. Why take a step back from what's present in the G5?

I am welcome to being corrected if I'm wrong about details of the Sossaman however.

Yonah would be pretty good for Mac mini and iBook though. Like it.
  • Reply 156 of 164
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Just bought my dually 2.7!!

I now have a real valid roadmap for the progress of the powermac.

No waiting. It will be at LEAST a year before the Powermac gets the major upgrade and no REV. A troubles to contend with.

I will upgrade my powerbook when the switch to Intel happens.

ME= content + happy
  • Reply 157 of 164
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark10ant

Interesting table but I have a problem with one part of it....

iMac suggested to get this 'Sossaman' processor which, from what I've read isn't 64-bit architecture. Why take a step back from what's present in the G5?

From a technical stand point yes, but I don't think many iMac users benefit from 64 bit ocmputing.
  • Reply 158 of 164
    power applepower apple Posts: 335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Just bought my dually 2.7!!

I now have a real valid roadmap for the progress of the powermac.

No waiting. It will be at LEAST a year before the Powermac gets the major upgrade and no REV. A troubles to contend with.

I will upgrade my powerbook when the switch to Intel happens.

ME= content + happy

Congrats on the dual 2.7. Nice to hear a sane voice in these crazy days...
  • Reply 159 of 164
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I just ordered an iMac for my office. I feel no sense of risk or fear about the future whatsoever. I'm sure I'll get a new Mac in 3 years or so, after the Intel transition is well underway, and I'll be fine then, too.

I think the much bigger problem will be getting people to buy the first Intel Macs. I know I don't want to - I have a ton of software that works fine on PowerPC Macs, so why risk the change? My current software will, at best, have to be emulated, and might not even work at all. That will definitely weigh on people's Mac-buying decisions.

2005 is a very safe time to buy a Mac. Buying an Intel Mac will be a more difficult decision for most people. The fact that Apple makes so much of their own software now will alleviate things substantially, and I suspect they'll have a full Office competitor by that time too. But now? Now is a very good time to buy.
  • Reply 160 of 164
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    From what Ive read, software developers are actually happy about the switch to Intel.

I still need to decide wether to get a Mini on the next revision, or wait until Intel goes inside.

I have gotten over the news however.