4 GB RAM in a G4 MDD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can I put 4 GB DR RAM in a G4 1.42 GHz Mirror Drive Door G4 Mac?

The MDD Mac has (4) DDR2700 slots. I have all 4 slots populated with 4 x 512 MB sticks (for a total of 2.0 GB) on my Mac.

Can I replace the 512 MB sticks with 1.0 GB sticks (for a total of 4 GB)?

I didnt know if there was a 32 bit CPU or OS limit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Can I put 4 GB DR RAM in a G4 1.42 GHz Mirror Drive Door G4 Mac?

The MDD Mac has (4) DDR2700 slots. I have all 4 slots populated with 4 x 512 MB sticks (for a total of 2.0 GB) im My Mac.

Can I replace the 512 MB sticks with 1.0 GB sticks (for a total of 4 GB)?

I didnt know if there was a 32 limit or not.

The memory wizard on crucial.com says that the dual 1.42 G4 has a max of 2 GB.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...R%29&submit=Go

They could be wrong though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    The 32-bit limit is indeed 2GiB. You'll need to get a 64-bit chip where the limit is 32TiB I think.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Isn't the 64 bit theoretical limit 16 billion GB? Is that 16Terebytes or 16Petabyte or 16Exabytes?

Dobby.

Edit - Removed H from front of Exabytes.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

The 32-bit limit is indeed 2GiB. You'll need to get a 64-bit chip where the limit is 32TiB I think.

I thought 4GB was the 32-bit RAM limit, as 2^32 is 4e9. I think it's more a limitation of the motherboard?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

I thought 4GB was the 32-bit RAM limit, as 2^32 is 4e9. I think it's more a limitation of the motherboard?

Using the full 32 bits as an address, you can get 4 GB. But most of the G4 machines and below do not wire up all 32 bits, so they have things like 24-bit and 30-bit addressing just to save money.

The 970 has 64-bit registers, but it also does not wire all 64 lines up for addressing. There would be no purpose to it, because nobody is going to put terabytes in there, at least not yet.

Now VM is a different story, and the VM address space can be larger than the real address space, because VM doesn't cost anything.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    The limit is that the MDD will not read 4 1Gb dimms. I believe you can put 2 in, but then the other 2 slots cant be read. 2 GB is definitely the limit for a MDD.