"Great PowerPC products in the pipeline."

Comments

• Reply 81 of 172
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Did Jobs actually say that Apple is going to go all Intel by 2007?

I was thinking perhaps...laptops and Mini, eMac and maybe even the iMac could go Intel with the highend PowerMacs remaining PowerPC.
  • Reply 82 of 172
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Did Jobs actually say that Apple is going to go all Intel by 2007?

I was thinking perhaps...laptops and Mini, eMac and maybe even the iMac could go Intel with the highend PowerMacs remaining PowerPC.

They all will become Intel by 2007.
  • Reply 83 of 172
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Yes. By the end of 2007 the entire product line will be intel. By WWDC 2007, the transition will be "mostly" complete. I expect Xserves to be last.
  • Reply 84 of 172
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Let's just hope that Intel's roadmap is the mother of all roadmaps.

More importantly, let's hope they can deliver.
  • Reply 85 of 172
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielandrews

Right, because people are way more unhappy with the iBook line vs. the powerbook line.

One of the biggest reasons, if not THE biggest reasons, that Apple is switching to Intel is the laptop side of things. And let's be honest, there's nothing powerful about a powerbook right now. The iBook is still a good consumer machine, and I'm not saying it won't get an upgrade right out the gate either. But to say that the iBook line is going to get the new chips and a 'minor' update is in store for powerbooks is a bit silly.

Really, none of us know right now. But to me, the PowerBook is one of the main reasons that Apple and Intel are teaming up.

No I said iBooks would be updated first and the the PowerBooks may get a minor update BEFORE the new chips come along! Obviously the laptops are the reason Apple switched the G5 is amazingly powerful and Intel can't beat it, yet.
  • Reply 86 of 172
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    The timing seems wrong for the ibook. The iBook needs an update. Eight months (has been) plus say 8-10 months more (till Intel) seems too long. The iBook will get an update, but it will be freescale I think. I suspect the powerbook with get Intel first, and the iBook might get intel at the same time or be in the second round with the mini.
  • Reply 87 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

The timing seems wrong for the ibook. The iBook needs an update. Eight months (has been) plus say 8-10 months more (till Intel) seems too long. The iBook will get an update, but it will be freescale I think. I suspect the powerbook with get Intel first, and the iBook might get intel at the same time or be in the second round with the mini.

i agree
  • Reply 88 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

To quote Steve Jobs during today's keynote address:

Is this why we haven't seen an iBook revision? Was the iBook revision preempted by the Intel for Mac announcement so that iBooks could prove that there's still life left to Apple's product line until Intel?

What could these new great PowerPC products be? When do you think they will materialize?

Is an iBook speedbump a *great* PowerPC product? A G5 iMac revision? With what? Hotter 970FX's?

Discuss.

No matter, they'll be the last of the Powermac series. I think the wintel macs will get names like wintel mac 2400 or desperation 2400 (homage to dell).
  • Reply 89 of 172
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Well I am in the market for a new PowerMac and was hoping to see either a speed-bumped G5 tower (maybe to the magical 3Ghz! ) or dual-core G5 at WWDC.. so now my feeling is, if they DO continue to update the PPC G5 PM line I will get one (Dual G5 3Ghz or even better Dual core Dual )

Otherwise I wait to see what Intel offerings there are, but that's a while to wait...especially if the PM line is the last to get Intel..

I really, really hope we get a speed-bumped G5 PM within the next 3 months or so.. then I would buy, otherwise I really am in a quandry about this.. and I don't want to wait so long.. oh man, what a pain....
  • Reply 90 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by argonaut

I really, really hope we get a speed-bumped G5 PM within the next 3 months or so.. then I would buy, otherwise I really am in a quandry about this.. and I don't want to wait so long.. oh man, what a pain....

Not sure about three months but we will see an updated PowerMacs before they switch to intel. I suspect the PowerMacs will be transferred last in 2007. I'm just curious as to whether the eMac will be kept alive. Well I suppose time will tell.
  • Reply 91 of 172
    Alright, now, I just smoked some chronic, and I got a lot to say.

Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

Without a major price move, I don't think Apple survives until the transition. Speed bumps do not equal great new product, and I don't see much beyond that on the horizon.

Really? Apple Computer, a company that has been a major player in the player in the personal computer industry since it's birth, in fact creating that very industry, and continuing to exert influence and turn profits in spite of its miniscule platform market share, with $4 billion in the bank, will go under during its second chip transition? Really? I mean, could they lose all their money that quickly without the entire board going on a weeks-long coke binge?

People will keep buying Macs. The average person buying a Mac in retail has no idea what the fuck it runs on (other than electricity), no idea what Apple said it's going to come out with later, and doesn't give a shit either. The PowerPC Mac will remain a viable platform for years after the transition. FAT binaries are, from what I heard, much easier to make this time, and how long did people have their Quadras, happily, with new software? I had mine for about three before a PowerPC became an absolute necessity to run the latest software. I even used it as my main computer until 1999.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I wished S.J. had stated something like:

"From now on we have more options than ever

to satisfy our customers. Folks, say welcome to Intel,

from now on they are on board. From now on, we

will deliver the very best and fastes Macs ever.

From now on it doesn't matter if Intel or PPC

is under the hood. We just take the best available.

This spurs competition, right?"

I just can't believe they ditched the PPC once and

for all, leaving NO backdoor open.

Try getting a contract with Intel by saying, "we want to use your chips, maybe, sometimes, when yours are faster, I guess". I mean, Dell can't use AMD's, right? And keeping OS X cross-platform indefinitely probably wouldn't be a good idea other. Better to just be optimizing for one chip, imaginably.

I think this move is going to enormously beneficial to the Mac platform in a few years. In my 12 years as a Mac enthusiast, I've seen Apple's world change around it. Apple is a very old-fashioned PC company, in a way. Their hardware is its own platform. They're the only one left from the eighties like that.

Anyway, as I'm saying, early on, Apple was a big enough client to chip manufacturers to run that way. Personal computing has changed.

The PowerPC has been failing for Apple for some time now. I don't think Motorola or IBM are to blame for Apple's inability to keep up with Wintel speeds. I think that making the PowerPC a good PC processor for one client is a losing game. It requires a lot of resources for a fairly small market. Apple just doesn't exert enough influence to get the two chipmakers competing to make Mac chips. The can succeed in their own directions with the PowerPC, without Apple.

Switching to the dominant platform in the PC industry is a wise choice for today's Macintosh.

That's just my opinion. Thinking back over the years as a Mac user, it seems like this is what we've been waiting for. Complete hardware parity with the Wintel side. Full-speed Windows emulation. New chips more than once a year.

Man, this is like, way off the topic in the title. But what the fuck, like anyone else is is still on topic. I'm stoned and tired, I don't give a fuck.
  • Reply 92 of 172
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Well I am in the market for a new PowerMac

You are breaching rule no 1 concerning computer purchase:

buy, if you need to, don't hesitate. If you have time to

compare specs of current and rumored computers

you don't have a need to buy.
  • Reply 93 of 172
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:

Damn.. I've been found out..
  • Reply 94 of 172
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Damn.. I've been found out..

God bless ya boy.
  • Reply 95 of 172
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Steve is the issue here there are certainly options for both the desktops and the portables moving forward PPC wise. But if you are the type of person that burns bridges behind you then you really can't make use of those options!

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by anand

I wonder if this is just Steve being pissed with IBM.

• Reply 96 of 172
    Quote:

If you desperately need to buy to finish a project then buy now. Most of us are waiting and trying to get by with whatever we had now waiting for an update or a price drop.

The pain about the powermacs and powerbooks are that their upgrades were very minor after so long of a wait, so we feel they are very overprice for what they offer.

That's why IMHO two things can happen:

first- price drop for both if sales are down in the next 3 months. sales must be down, specially now with Intel announcement.

second- update coming, but far away. I would predict the earliest at ParisExpo for Powerbooks and sometime next year for Powermacs.
  • Reply 97 of 172
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeilwerthReborn

...miniscule platform market share, with $6 billion in the bank, will go under during its second chip transition? ...

T-FTFY
  • Reply 98 of 172
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I don't think Apple will drop prices. Once they drop prices it will be difficult to bring them back up later. Apple makes quality machines for fixed price.

I do think they will come out with some very nice machines in the next few months to keep the sales up. Not only could there be faster G4s and G5s but there are all sorts of things that could be done to the computers to make them more attractive - different cases, audio systems, hard drives, displays and more.

Off topic - wouldn't it be ironic if about two years from now Intel hits the wall on processor power and gets left in the dust by IBM. Would that show that Apple is jinxed? Motorola shows promise and can't deliver, IBM shows promise and can't deliver, Intel shows promise and....?
  • Reply 99 of 172
    I hope not, I can't take this anymore!
  • Reply 100 of 172
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Intel shows promise and....

...they have to deliver it would kill both me and the Mac platform! Intel had reached a wall (as had IBM). Jobs obviously knows there's a solution and Intel looks promising.