Has Apple abandoned one of the iMacs best features?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Thanks for the correction Applenut.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Yea but the MickyMouse plug goes into the power adapter. So it would seem the "power adapter" is in the iMac.

I expecetd to see a hole for a lock device on the back. Is that the hole on the far left?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, that is the lock hole. Of course the power supply is gonna be in the unit. Do you need to swap power supplies all the time? What is your obsession with power cords? I have never seen a laptop use a standard pc power cord. If you want a spare cord, call up Apple and see if they'll sell you one, cord only. If they saw no, just make up a story about how rats chewed the thing to bits so you threw it away because rats have diseases or something. If they try to charge too much, do your whining there about the value of the cord. Stop whining about power cords here even though you know there's no standard. Or buy a Toshiba or something and whine to them.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Man some people will complain about anything. The new iMac is awesome, it's a superb product and IMO it has more style than anything else out there.

The specs are great. 700-800 MHz G4, with a nice video card, 32 MB vRAM, this is a serious machine.

With this new design, I can also envision Apple adding a second iMac with a larger display. The first model would have required a total redesign for a larger display, but with the new iMac, a new display would be cheap and easy to add. IMO Apple would do well to offer a 17" LCD version of the iMac. Add a top of the line graphics chipset and call it the gamer's edition, and I bet it would sell very well, as long as the price was right. But that's the beauty of the current design--as LCD prices drop, Apple can change displays at will. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now, there were both 15" and 17" iMacs for sale.

Now here's this beautiful computer, elegant, and VERY small, it doesn't even have an external power supply, and people are whineing about it having a fan? Who gives a rat's ass! According to the register article, it's not even a loud fan, Apple claims it's about as loud as the HD. So we aren't talking about the Powermac's case fan that sounds like a 747 taking off, this is just a tiny fan for cooling the poor thing. Damn, some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Listen, if Apple had never made any fanless computers, then nobody here would even think to complain about a fan. Nobody. It has so little relevance...so you have the computer in your bedroom, then put it to sleep when you go to sleep! Is it that hard?

I'm stunned that Apple could totally outdo themselves, create a new iMac that's as stunning and original in design as the first one, and people complain about something like the fan.

Well, I'm hoping that Apple makes a 17" version, but even if they don't, I might have to buy one. That is one bitchin' computer!
  • Reply 44 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Man some people will complain about anything. The new iMac is awesome, it's a superb product and IMO it has more style than anything else out there.

The specs are great. 700-800 MHz G4, with a nice video card, 32 MB vRAM, this is a serious machine.

With this new design, I can also envision Apple adding a second iMac with a larger display. The first model would have required a total redesign for a larger display, but with the new iMac, a new display would be cheap and easy to add. IMO Apple would do well to offer a 17" LCD version of the iMac. Add a top of the line graphics chipset and call it the gamer's edition, and I bet it would sell very well, as long as the price was right. But that's the beauty of the current design--as LCD prices drop, Apple can change displays at will. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now, there were both 15" and 17" iMacs for sale.

Now here's this beautiful computer, elegant, and VERY small, it doesn't even have an external power supply, and people are whineing about it having a fan? Who gives a rat's ass! According to the register article, it's not even a loud fan, Apple claims it's about as loud as the HD. So we aren't talking about the Powermac's case fan that sounds like a 747 taking off, this is just a tiny fan for cooling the poor thing. Damn, some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Listen, if Apple had never made any fanless computers, then nobody here would even think to complain about a fan. Nobody. It has so little relevance...so you have the computer in your bedroom, then put it to sleep when you go to sleep! Is it that hard?

I'm stunned that Apple could totally outdo themselves, create a new iMac that's as stunning and original in design as the first one, and people complain about something like the fan.

Well, I'm hoping that Apple makes a 17" version, but even if they don't, I might have to buy one. That is one bitchin' computer!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Word. :cool:

Jesus, there's obviously some little things about the new iMac we can quibble about, but the fan is the lamest of the lame. The fanless slot-loading iMacs still have a faint monitor buzz, hard drive noise, and occasionally a CD-ROM spins up really loudly. Why haven't you Sound Nazis written Apple nasty notes about those noises?

Unless the new iMac turns out to be "Son of Quickhoover", don't expect anyone to shed a tear for your 0.05 decibal increase in ambient noise.

This machine rocks.

-mithral

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Mithral ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 51
    "Sound Nazis". LOL!
  • Reply 46 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>

Yes, that is the lock hole. Of course the power supply is gonna be in the unit. Do you need to swap power supplies all the time? What is your obsession with power cords?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jeeze calm down you tool. If the power is in the box then the heat is too. Unlike the Cube which had it external. That's my point you overreacting idiot.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    I wonder if the powerbook/ibook bricks supply enough power for the iMac. Those bricks are sure dandy, and they are quite small.

The only annoying thing is, the prongs are very easy to bend, and they probably wouldn't be good in rough environment such as education.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Jeeze calm down you tool.

(...)

That's my point you overreacting idiot.</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 49 of 51
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I'll repeat my earlier question, which seems to have gotten lost in the fray:

My Rev. C iMac fan runs continuously, even when the computer is asleep. Do the tower fans run even when sleeping? What about this new iMac, any guesses?

I'm fine with a fan that's on while I'm working. But I want to put the computer to sleep, and have it "disappear" as far as noise goes.

Anyone?
  • Reply 50 of 51
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    The three things people upgrade is

1: memory

and a distant

2: HD

3:graphics card

memory isn't an issue. The Geforce2MX is AGP, so it's probably upgradable. HD unless is unstandard is upgradable though how easy might be debatable from the Ti problems heh.

So where is the "unupgradable" part? PCIs? Most people don't care.

If anyone is a Gamer they would change/(major upgrade) their computer every 2yrs, not just the graphics card. so if you're saying the GeForce2MX stinks, you reallllllly mean, that you not in the iMac profile, nor are you in the eMachines and such for the PC world.

~Kuku
  • Reply 51 of 51
    [quote]Originally posted by tl:

The poor college student. I can't afford a Powermac, but I want a good computer, and I want to be able to have 10GBs of Mp3s and lots of movies and the ability to play the latest and greatest games!!! The 2MX is already outdated, and in two years it will be as slow as the Rage is today.

<hr></blockquote>

Poor college students don't have time to play the latest and greatest games"!!!" Poor college students are in class all day, work a part time job at night, and sqeeze in studying so they can complete school, get a good job, and then afford all their wet-dream desires. Oh, and even the GeForce3 will be as slow as the Rage is today in two years.

[quote]

If I could upgrade the graphics card, add internal storage, and maybe up the screen size, I would buy one of the new iMacs right now. They got so damn close to making a perfect machine for me, but they didn't quite make it.

<hr></blockquote>

Right, you can't afford a powermac, but you could afford a new imac, afford to upgrade the graphics card, afford more internal storage, and afford a larger LCD? I don't imagine you're a Math major, are you?

[quote]

I need a semi-powerful machine that is affordable on a college budget.<hr></blockquote>

Hmm, 15 inch LCD, 700/800 Mhz G4, & optional Superdrive is not a "semi-powerful machine that is affordable on a college budget". Honestly, unless your degree is in online, hi-res, gaming, this is phenominal bang for the buck.

I feel bad for my neighbor who just bought a 867 tower & 15 inch LCD because he wanted a superdrive in his Mac. Paid double this amount. (I'm ignoring specific math with my statement of "double")

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Chicken Tastes Good ]</p>