Intel Buy Apple?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Surely some of you have read the Cringley article... if not http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html

Anyone think that Intel could or would really buy Apple ~ and that Steve Jobs would actually be down with that?

The rest of the article I think is quite interesting and makes sense, until that last section...

thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    chungleechunglee Posts: 32member
    apple is a publically traded company. it would be easy for intel to purchase apple. apple recently divided it's hardware divisions into macs and ipods. i think apple did this in anticipation of the this move and would eagerly sell the mac division to intel.

chung lee

below is a reply about osx licensing from another post:

hi folks,

anyone who thinks apple wouldn't abandon, sell, or get out of the computer building business is crazy. they could and can do it in a heart beat.

what was apple's total revenue last year? 20 billion? not profit but revenue.

out of that 40% was from ipod sales, 10% from software sales and the rest from selling computers.

so 50% of 20 billion is 10 billion in hardware sales.

didn't jobs just announce they have already sold 2 million copies of tiger in 2 months. that's $250 million. that comes out to 1.5 billion in revenue for tiger alone for a year. not counting final cut and all the other software apple would make on all these new computers needing software. no wonder microsoft hasn't killed off the mac business unit.

this whole notion of apple not licensing osx because it will kill off their hardware and their hardware is too profitable to lose is non sense. with all that revenue apple only made a few billion in profit. the overhead for hardware revenue has to very high compared to software revenue.

apple divided it's computer business from the ipod business.

they did this knowing it would be easier to sell the mac computer hardware business this way. or have it taken over by let's say intel.

apple licensing osx to third party manufacturers is not far fetched and maybe apple's long term strategy.

chung lee

the financial numbers abover were taken from memory and rounded off from apple's last financial earnings report i read. mostly for illustrative purposes but i think the numbers are pretty close.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by debenm

Surely some of you have read the Cringley article... if not http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html

Anyone think that Intel could or would really buy Apple ~ and that Steve Jobs would actually be down with that?

The rest of the article I think is quite interesting and makes sense, until that last section...

thoughts?

other thread