iPhoto Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm afraid of losing pictures by figuring this out on my own: If I delete pictures from the Trash of iPhoto, will I lose those pictures forever, if they're saved in a location other than iPhoto's directory (whatever that may be?)

Basically, I have a bunch of pictures sitting in my Pictures folder in complex directories in there, and I wanted to remove copies of them from the Trash of iPhoto without losing the originals in the Pictures folder.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    If you import photos from a folder into iPhoto it copies them. If you import from a camera you will have one copy. Basically if you delete a photo in iPhoto it will delete the file in the iPhoto folder (User/Pictures/iPhoto Library/...).
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Rather than start another thread for another iPhoto question, I'll piggyback on this one. I have a Powerbook and a new iMac. Sometimes when I'm out away from the house I'll download my photos from my digital camera to my laptop. When I'm going back home I import them to my iMac. Is there a way to sync the two iPhoto libraries so they have the same pictures?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brian
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

Rather than start another thread for another iPhoto question, I'll piggyback on this one. I have a Powerbook and a new iMac. Sometimes when I'm out away from the house I'll download my photos from my digital camera to my laptop. When I'm going back home I import them to my iMac. Is there a way to sync the two iPhoto libraries so they have the same pictures?

Brian

I think Mac OS X server (Tiger) has a way of synching your laptop with your server account but if you wanted to do this with the client version you would need either an external hard disk/flash drive to keep the library on.

You could also just transfer the iPhoto library folder manually in the pictures folder. But that would mean you couldn't alter more than one computers photos at a time before synching.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Brian

cant you just put them onto your .mac acount or something along those lines like that? i know thats what i do when i dont have my flash drive on me.. ill through school work that i need to print onto my .mac account and print it when i get home, but tha tonly works if you have .mac
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ragingloogie

cant you just put them onto your .mac acount or something along those lines like that? i know thats what i do when i dont have my flash drive on me.. ill through school work that i need to print onto my .mac account and print it when i get home, but tha tonly works if you have .mac

yeah that would work but .Mac is slow and has a low capacity. It also requires internet access, which isn't always possible on a laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

yeah that would work but .Mac is slow and has a low capacity. It also requires internet access, which isn't always possible on a laptop.

yea, i forgot about that... internet access isnt available unless you have a phone cord or a wireless signal...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Sounds to me like iPhoto syncronization is something that needs to be added to the list of things we'd like to see. In fact, it ought to be universal across the iWork apps. I was just hoping that there was an easy way to sync my two computers without having to do everything manually. Thanks for your help though.

Brian
  • Reply 8 of 15
    w/ syncing which i think i still need to do, if its not done already is that dont you still need a network/internet to send stuff from one computer to the next?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ragingloogie, I have my computers connected vie Airport Extreme. I should be able to sync on that alone. It ought to be an easy process for those of us that have multiple macs. Why make things difficult? I've sent Apple feedback on this issue.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

ragingloogie, I have my computers connected vie Airport Extreme. I should be able to sync on that alone. It ought to be an easy process for those of us that have multiple macs. Why make things difficult? I've sent Apple feedback on this issue.

It's in the server version but also iTunes can't be done - also there needs to be a place with a record of what's being synched (this can't be on the computers in case they're lost). .Mac needs the server space to know what's been synchronised.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ah ok.. think im understanding now
  • Reply 12 of 15
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I have the same problem syncing things (including my iPhoto library) between computers. What I used to do was carry a portable firewire drive around and keep all my files on that. The advantage was it was very portable and could be connected to any computer (including, for example, those in an Apple Store). The problem was that having the drive hanging off my laptop reduced the mobility of the laptop. So I decided to put everything on the laptop boot the laptop into target disk mode when I wanted to use the desktop. This works pretty well, although it is sort of a pain to be rebooting the laptop all the time. What I intend to do in the future is to use some syncronization program to sync the iPhoto libraries across computers. My impress is that this will work as well or better than Apple's Portable Home Directories and be a lot cheaper than buying Tiger Server. The reason I haven't done this yet is that I just upgraded to Tiger and I want to test a couple syncronization programs on Tiger before I commit to this course.

Those are three options.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

I have the same problem syncing things (including my iPhoto library) between computers. What I used to do was carry a portable firewire drive around and keep all my files on that. The advantage was it was very portable and could be connected to any computer (including, for example, those in an Apple Store). The problem was that having the drive hanging off my laptop reduced the mobility of the laptop.

Those are three options.

i carry around a flash drive/thumb drive most of the time mainly b/c its easier... that plugs into the usb port of any computer, and then you take it out when you dont need it... so the portability of the laptop stays the same... i mean, i cant see anyone trying to save files toa flash drive while their walking somewhere... so, portability isnt effected, and efficency isnt either
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Is the idea that you carry the entire iPhoto Library on the flash drive or that you transfer pictures using the flash drive? My iPhoto Library is about 30 Gb. I haven't seen any flash drives that big. Actually, it would be nice of iPhoto let you archive to something other than optical media. Then you could put a subset of your pictures onto a flash drive.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Is the idea that you carry the entire iPhoto Library on the flash drive or that you transfer pictures using the flash drive? My iPhoto Library is about 30 Gb. I haven't seen any flash drives that big. Actually, it would be nice of iPhoto let you archive to something other than optical media. Then you could put a subset of your pictures onto a flash drive.

i dont transfer the entire thing... i just transfer what i need.. the flash drive is only about 256MB... so i cant transfer too many big pictures... and if i do, then thats where i use .mac providing im in an internet signal area.... i have many alternate solutions to any number of my porblems