The Intel Switch and Games

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

You could have said the same about Playstation2 and XBox when they came out. Gaming on PC's is fine and will continue to be. The consoles lack

- input devices

- networking

- community: messaging, websites, private servers, etc.

- addons, mods, fan/3rd party content

- indie games

The next generation of consoles promises to deliver some of these. So did XBox, and PS2 to a lesser extent. My answer is still the same: I'll believe it when I see it.

From the show me state?

I understand the reservation. It sounds like the XBox and the Playstation are really stepping out and passing up the performance of even the highest end gameing PC's. Three dual core PowerPC's in each XBox performing at 1 Teraflop. (Sony then trumped with 3-4 teraflops??) The video part of the machines will probably age the fastest as this seems to be where a lot of performance boost for games is coming these days. Processors seem to be maxed out.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If I go dualboot, how often do I really want to boot to Windows? Shut down my e-mail, web browsing, IM, music, any work that might be going on? And again when I'm finished with the game?

Still looks like I'll be buying a gaming PC to complement the iBook that contains my life.

If dualbooting is really going to work, sure, that opens up the world of Windows games. I can't avoid some suspicion though. Dualbooting just could become the rule for "serious" gamers, and kill off Mac OS development like that.

I purposely tried to exclude gaming from my expectations when getting a Mac, but now that I have it and am also gaming with it, the incompatibilities that I stumble into piss me off. I can't borrow my friend's Alpha Centauri and play. There is no gaming-geared voice chat (Teamspeak, Ventrilo) to use with WoW or other games. I'm interested in online poker but if I take that up I expect I'll have to do it with VirtualPC. Et cetera..
  • Reply 23 of 26
    jchenjchen Posts: 70member
    I see this as a potential haven for Mac gamers, albeit a horrible scenario for Mac game developers. With the advent of x86 on the mac, Windows emulation should be able to excel to near native speeds and potentially lead to native virtual support of graphics card hardware. With this in mind, imagine running all of those Windows games you could never play (read: Counterstrike, and please, don't turn this into a CS bitching fest, my point is that there are some very popular games that unfortunately are not available for the Mac) at moderate performance. Very tempting.

If this should be the case, then the move might prove to be of some disincentive to tackle some of the lesser popular Windows ports simply to, in a sense, bring about a slight to noticeable performance gain.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Now that taht Apple will be solidly / native on both platforms.

Unlike MS which is wimping out by using VPC.

This should make Apple THE COMPANY for gaming !

Apple gaming division anyone !!!
  • Reply 25 of 26
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The Intel switch is going to correct a lot of things. I wish it would have happened at say the 040 years but later is better then never. This is good news on so many fronts. Intel has some stuff coming like steve said that will just kick butt. Holographic memory storage for one. Faster Cpu's for another. Moto /Ibm good riddence.Not nice knowing you( bastards)
  • Reply 26 of 26
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

Now that taht Apple will be solidly / native on both platforms.

Unlike MS which is wimping out by using VPC.

This should make Apple THE COMPANY for gaming !

Apple gaming division anyone !!!

Yea, imagine Microsoft losing all that $$$ in the PowerPC Windows gamer market! The nitwits, missing such an obvious opportunity!

Let's hop in the conclusion that Apple is obviously going to make Sony, MS and Nintendo eat dust in gaming by 2006!

Let's further imagine how this inspires everyone around the globe and accomplishes world peace and cure for cancer by 2007!

I really think you posted that one drunk. Not that there's anything wrong with that