Apple CPU naming scheme

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Will Apple simply call their CPUs whatever Intel calls them?

Or will there be an Apple-Centric name such as "G6"?

Personally, I think that Apple should either continue the "G" moniker, or adopt a potentially cooler sounding "X" moniker (ie: "X1" for desktop and X1-M for mobile-with variations for the consumer vs pro machines which will likely differentiate in number of cores at first).

The X makes sense for as long as "OSX" is out. And it also makes sense for being X86.

I just hope there is no lame "Intel Inside" sticker.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Well, Apple doesn't have to worry about CPU branding anymore, so maybe they can go back to the pre-PPC days when machines were referred to by names such as Quadra, Centris, II/IIc/IIfx, etc?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    "X" is overrated and played out.

Everything is X.

eXtreme deodorant.

eXtreme television.

eXperimental weapons.

eXtreme crypticism.

eXternal hard drives.

eXtra 10% when you buy now.

Jobs doesn't call OS X "OS X," he calls it "Oh-Ess Ten."

Apple revolutionized th "i." If they make an "x," they lose brownie points with me. They ought to adopt the greek alphabet: name the G6 "Theta One," "Lambda 37," or anything else excepting Alpha and Omega, which are likewise overused. Hell, make a new symbol with a new name. Make it three dimensional so it really throws people off. I trust Apple will be better than 90's marketing.

I can't believe anyone is still impressed by the letter X. There must be a lot of people REALLY excited about waking up each morning, ready to face X-marketed products with open wallets. (note: author does not intend to flame anyone)
  • Reply 3 of 24
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Motorola never called them G4, IBM never called them G5, it was always Apple. Notice their online store? When they refer to the processor they say, "PowerPC G4" or "PowerPC G5".

Now we will have Intel G4 and Intel G5 or whatever. Its simply the generation of the processor, according to Apple. If this transition really is so simple, they should support it by confusing customers by still using the "G" moniker.

Edit: And that "X" idea will run into problems in the second generation. X2 is already used by AMD. So original AMD, surprised they didn't call them Longhorns this time around
  • Reply 4 of 24
    pyrixpyrix Posts: 264member
    IBM calls there proccessors PowerPC 660 or whatever. I think apple should move away from the G's, stay away from the X's, and whoever suggested Theta, thats sounds more like a code name than an actual produt from apple. And dont, I repeat, dont, call it a P4 or have the sticker. Not to be critical or anything.

If the sticker was embossed into the metal, that would be kind of cool. With the downside of not being able to remove it.

And no, I have no suggestions as to what the name should be. And yes, i'm a pessimest.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    quambquamb Posts: 143member
    aye- tried to bring up this topic in the other thousand intel threads.

anyway, apple should stick with G. intel could be G6.

anything else would make this "smooth" transition more rocky.

it'd would make perfect sense from a marketing perspective as well AND an easy way to not confuse consumers - ie software could be labelled "optimised for G6". which in reality, is saying, re-written for intel.

my. too. sense.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quamb

aye- tried to bring up this topic in the other thousand intel threads.

anyway, apple should stick with G. intel could be G6.

anything else would make this "smooth" transition more rocky.

it'd would make perfect sense from a marketing perspective as well AND an easy way to not confuse consumers - ie software could be labelled "optimised for G6". which in reality, is saying, re-written for intel.

my. too. sense.

Problem is how to delineate the lower end machines from the higher end, which will probably use a different processor. Maybe G6 in the mini and ibook and G7 in the powerbooks and power macs?

But I think they should move away from the G? completely. It will allow them to expand the Apple lexicon in a more creative way.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I just hope they dont take Intels naming scheme, where a number is a way of telling how powerfull the processor is..

The "G" naming scheme is a bit old now, its time for something new. Maybe just use 'Powermac', 'iBook' and so on?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    (I had some ideas that I couldn't display properly.)

Never mind; I'm sure Steve's got this all figured out.

V/R,

Aries 1B

• Reply 9 of 24
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

The "G" naming scheme is a bit old now, its time for something new. Maybe just use 'Powermac', 'iBook' and so on?

i agree, keep it simple (again)
  • Reply 10 of 24
    dr. jdr. j Posts: 39member
    how about 'the computer formally known as G5?'
  • Reply 11 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    or just a funky prince like glyph!

• Reply 12 of 24
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Power Mac Pentium D

PowerBook Pentium M

xServe Xeon

I think the consumer products will drop the processor from its name, thus reverting back to iBook, iMac, and Mac Mini.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    inubinub Posts: 45member
    Personally, I prefer the numbered naming scheme. Quick, how fast was the processor in the PowerMac G4? How many motherboard revisions did it have? No idea? That's because it has no freaking model number. Now, how fast was the processor in a Powermac 7200? Apple foregoes usability and ease of support to eliminate some stupid text on their boxes that nobody pays attention to.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Power Mac Pentium D

PowerBook Pentium M

xServe Xeon

I think the consumer products will drop the processor from its name, thus reverting back to iBook, iMac, and Mac Mini.

They wouldn't call it the "Power" Anything, because it was called a PowerMac, and PowerBook originally because it used PowerPC processors. That is no more.

I think they should just use Pro instead of Power. ProMac. How they number them is questionable. I like the Idea of using X for next Gen. Xeons though.

Also the PowerMac, or ProMac would use a Xeon not a pentium. Apple always pitted the PowerMac against the Dual Xeon as it's equal across the platform for workstations. So they wouldn't pull the processing power out of what was the PowerMac because it's supposed to be using the top of the line workstation processor in the industry. That wont change.

• Reply 15 of 24
    It's been stated before, but PowerBooks were PowerBooks long before the PowerPC chip family existed. Hell I still have a PowerBook Duo 230 (25mhz 68030 or around there).

Also, as Steve pointed out he's concerned with performance per watt, so it is unlikely they will be using Pentium 4 based designs in Apple's; though stranger things have happened. But seriously, if it were to be a Xenon, it'll be a pentium M branched Xeon, which Intel may not even call the same thing.

That being said, Apple has long abandoned model numbers in favor of a simple processor suffix in their product names; no doubt to strengthen brand recognition. Now that Apple really has less value in advertising the PowerBook Pentium 775, or PowerBook I7.7.5, I have to wonder if for the sake of advertising if they won't just lop it off to plain "PowerBook," or "PowerMac." The Mac mini would obviously get confusing because it's never used the CPU name in it's title, but I'm guessing Apple is betting the majority of that segment of the market is less interested in the difference.

Hell maybe all of Apple's machines will ship with virtualization enabled on the CPU and they'll all be "Duos" for their ability to run both OS at the same time.

PowerBook Duo, Mac mini Duo, iBook Duo, etc.

Or sequels.

PowerBook II, Mac mini II, iBook II
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Im not sure which is more scary.

1) I read this thread

2) the thread could still be going in 9 months time

\
  • Reply 17 of 24
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I can't help but think that if Apple uses such well known Intel branding as 'Pentium' it will only cause consumer confusion.

For the sake of continuity, 'G6' would be the most logical.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Well... seeing as the chip will most likely be a Pentium M, what about G6M or GM6.

Gives continuity and distinguishes the new processor.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    I'm suprised that no one has gone here yet ... what about abandoning the Macintosh name all together. They was I remember is that my Macintosh ran System X.X on a PowerPC processor. A new operating system and chip latter maybe it's time to move on. Maybe an Apple GrannySmith or an Apple GoldenDelicious (I mean who wouldn't buy a computer that was both Golden AND Delicious) or maybe the Apple Winesap but it would have to be like McIntosh where they changed the name a little so the Apple Winsap (oh snap!).

Ok but seriously ... I'm not being serious.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    feraliferali Posts: 175member
    a change in the number of the 'G' name is only for great advances in the computer chip, and i dont think it will be that much of an advance right off the bat switching to intel. maybe in a few years when an intel is alot better than a top of the line power pc G5.