hey there fake sausage

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014

I tried this stuff for the first time this morning after being assured by many people that I would like it. And they were right. It's not just like sausage or anything, but it's definitely good and just as satisfying without being greasy as hell.

Tomorrow, I toast a Jesus muffins (Ezekiel 4:9 whole grain English muffins), slap on a soy patty and top it off with an organic, Omega-3-infused egg and have a dirty hippie breakfast.

Oh, and someone remind me to stop by the farmer's market after work, we're damn near out of peaches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Holy crap, I just get into this thing and now I find out there is fake-meat snobbery? Jesus!

And just in case anyone is curious, I am no vegetarian. Not even close.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Seitan is my favourite meat substitute

My favorite meat substitute is mashed potatoes with gravy 8)

I've started eating a lot of meals at our local Whole Foods Market, though, so I am getting my veggies.

They lowered their prices or something, my whole family eats for $18 or so - The only other place that competes on price is discount Mexican food and Hardees. And it is damn delicious health food.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I actually prefer GM to pesticide-riddled or preservative-laden or you-get-the-idea.

As for soy-based meat alternative, it's actually fairly decent at this point. The fake chicken patties are indistinguishable from the real thing: not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's the case.

The only problem I have with soy-meat is that it gives me tremendous gas. I've drank soy milk for years (lactose intolerant), and that's no problem, but soy meat really tweaks the insides.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    My favorite meat substitute is pork. You know, "the other broccoli".
  • Reply 5 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Oh, and someone remind me to stop by the farmer's market after work, we're damn near out of peaches.

Peaches come in a can.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    God I miss early/mid-'90s rock.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yea. I was a vegetarian for about 2 years. I didn't have any real reason to do it, but I wanted to give it a shot, so I did. In the mean time I learned a lot about diet and nutrition as well as valuable alternatives to generic foods and my cooking skills increased quite a bit.

I stopped almost 2 years ago, but I still enjoy veggie burgers and fake-meat products. It's not that I have any aversion to real meat products, it's just that... the fake-meat stuff still tastes good(some of them have the potential to taste superior to their meat counter-parts, if you know how to prepare them right) and it's a lot easier to prepare than meat. Plus you don't have to worry about it not being fully cooked or anything like that.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I went veggie (not vegan) right out of high school and lasted about 4 years. The breaking point was a trip out to Nova Scotia...all the fresh seafood everywhere...I cracked. Of course, that eventually led to the harder meats, and nowadays a might even have a steak every other month or so.

I still love my veggie burgers though, and still eat a lot of the meat alternatives. Like WR said, sometimes they just taste better.

And my Meatless Meatloaf is to die for.

Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

God I miss early/mid-'90s rock.

Oh man, I must be old. When I read this I was like 'WTF? The Stranglers were early '80's!'.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Oh man, I must be old. When I read this I was like 'WTF? The Stranglers were early '80's!'.

It was a quote from one-hit wonders The Presidents of the United States of America. Their only real song.

And I'm old, too.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

It was a quote from one-hit wonders The Presidents of the United States of America. Their only real song.

And I'm old, too.

Did you know they worked with Sir Mix-o-lot for a while? after they 'broke up'
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Um, that's GREAT!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I saw 'em live two years ago. They were throwing trays of jello shots into the club's audience. (fairly small concert.) They were realy fun.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

My favorite meat substitute is pork. You know, "the other broccoli".

• Reply 14 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Yikes! Is that for real billboard?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yeah, I actually saw that one in person years ago. It caused quite a stir, obviously.