Old TiBook 400 or new 14" iBook

:-):-)
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi

I've been placed in a bit of a dilemma and was wandering if any of you

might help me ;-)

I'm going to buy a portable mac (need in Feb) and thought about the new 14" ibook

600Mhz ($2000), however my retailer gave me a pretty good deal on the

old powerbook 400 MHz ($1500) with 10 GB HD, 128 Mb RAM, DVD.

For the $500 difference I could easily upgrade the powerbook to 30 GB HD

and more RAM + ex. CD-burner.

Am I missing something?

What would you do?

TIA

Morten

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    What apps do you use? If you don't use apps that take advantage of Alti-Vec then I'd go for the iBook.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>What apps do you use? If you don't use apps that take advantage of Alti-Vec then I'd go for the iBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I mostly use wordprocessing, spreadsheet and internet. But how much faster would the iBook be? After all it still has 1/4 L2 cache.

And which one would run OS X fastest/best

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: :-) ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    iBook. But that's just me. I don't like the PowerBooks that much, believe it or not. They're cool and all, but they don't appeal to me as much as the glossy, friendlier-looking iBook.

I'm an iGuy. iStuff all the way, for me!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Money no object, I'd still get the little iBook.

It is just sooooo frigging light, and I carry mine around a lot.

If i didn't carry it around every single day, I would prolly go for the PowerBook, though.

It is thin, but it's HUGE... and it's got a lot of screen on it.

But the iBook's hinge system "feels" better.

That prolly doesn't help, huh?

Oh.. the PowerBook runs OS X better, in my experience, but not so much better that I'd get it over the iBook.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by BerberCarpet:

<strong>It is just sooooo frigging light,</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually the 14" iBook is 0,6lb heavier...
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I'd go for the ibook.

400mhz seems so...2000

unless we were in teh PC world...in which case it would be so...1998(?)

Edit: i do not subscribe to the mhz myth, but for the tasks you described the g4 would not help you enough to make up for 200mhz

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Cosmo ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well for what you do I'd say go for the iBook.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>Why not buy the 12.1" iBook? It's much more practical and MUCH cheaper than the equivalent 14 incher.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah seriously. The only problem I see is the slower combo drive, which can be alleviated with getthng the slower DVD model and an ext burner. Damn Apple just loves to screw it's customers...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    POWERBOOK!!!!!!

(someone had to say it)

but seriously, i'd go with the powerbook. i got the same computer and it rocks! it weighs just as much as the 14" ibook (?).....if you use OSX then they're be a definate...use that $500 and buy the 48gig travelstar for $350 and use the other $150 on ram and you'll be set. the G4 really does help OSX. i went from a 500 pismo to a ti400 and there was a NOTICABLE difference in performance.....since getting it, i see to need to upgrade at all....just imagine that the 400mhz was 500mhz.....the G4 makes ALL the difference

the ti400 is perfect and the right choice! get it!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Hi guys thank you for helping me, now it's showtime. I've decided to go with the Powerbook (inspite of most of you), but the sligthly bigger screen (for DVDs) and the (allegedly) higher OS X speed (I heard this from others as well) made me go this way.

Well thanks again, I guess someone can close this topic now...
  • Reply 11 of 12
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    [quote]Originally posted by :-):

<strong>Hi guys thank you for helping me, now it's showtime. I've decided to go with the Powerbook (inspite of most of you), but the sligthly bigger screen (for DVDs) and the (allegedly) higher OS X speed (I heard this from others as well) made me go this way.

Well thanks again, I guess someone can close this topic now...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who is selling the Ti? And how much do you have to pay in Kroner? And do they still have any left?