OK Geniuses. Why did Apple go down 5% today ???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why !?!?!?!

I have biotech stocks, sold my Apple a couple of weeks ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The entire tech sector went down. Dunno why.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    There was a pretty long discussion about it on Ars Technica. At least one stock person noted that Apple's stock typicall dips after a show like this, temporarily, and then ramps up later as gunshy investors start to see there was no reason to panic.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Some investors might wonder what might happen to Mac sales during the transition.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    AAPL "crashed" about mid-April. I watched with a little concern...then bought (at the then bottom of $35.07). Since that time AAPL has been fairly "volatile" in the $35-$40 range not really getting much upward traction. This week is pretty normal for what we've seen since about mid-April.

If they can show that their sales don't tank next quarter, they'll be fine. I expect you might begin to see Apple pushing to get the first "Macintels" out in Q2 [EDIT: oops]...perhaps even Q1 of 2006. Developers have 6 months to get their stuff going.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I'm ultimately not all that worried about AAPL. In the short-term, it does look like it's being tossed around a bit by the intel annoucement(amongst other things I'm sure) but in the long-term, I think analysts and such are excited and generally optimistic about AAPLs growth. People are looking forward to the possibility that Apple will be taking on the likes of Dell, and gateway and such head-to-head and actually standing a good chance of drastically increasing their market share, they are excited about new low-cost macs that should be coming soon, and they are excited about Tiger and OS X. So, I think that for now, AAPL will be kinda lame, it should hike up substantially sooner or later.

Of course, I don't really know anything, I just have a pretty large amount of shares and I want it to go back up
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    It is time for the summer doldrums to kick-in.

There was an article that said that MS wants to get into the music business.

But then I thought they said that before...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

If they can show that their sales don't tank next quarter, they'll be fine. I expect you might begin to see Apple pushing to get the first "Macintels" out in Q1...perhaps even Q1 of 2006. Developers have 6 months to get their stuff going.

I agree. I think new MacIntel machines may come sooner than expected. Not in all the lines, of course. I think it really depends on what the developers find. If lots of issues arise, the rollout may get pushed back. If all the apps come quickly and the OS and Rosetta are stable, I'd expect new hardware sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Just checked Amazon. I think that's a pretty good gauge of how well Macs are selling (or not). They still have 8 out the top ten spots for desktops (updated daily). As an investor, that's the only thing that concerns me, in the short-term. Long-term... it wouldn't suprise me if the stock get back up to $80 again by next spring, then it'll be time to split again!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by ikDigital

Just checked Amazon. I think that's a pretty good gauge of how well Macs are selling (or not). They still have 8 out the top ten spots for desktops (updated daily). As an investor, that's the only thing that concerns me, in the short-term. Long-term... it wouldn't suprise me if the stock get back up to $80 again by next spring, then it'll be time to split again!

Considering the news that has come out in recently, I think you are right.

But they might drop rapidly next week, stocks always seem to drop rapidly approaching BIG announcements.

Once they start climbing again, buy, buy, buy !!!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK I'm pegging a lot of money on AAPL and ultimately, hope to make a lot of money from it. I'm going to drop a few thou on it sometime this year I think.

The question is when.

I think it will probably go down, steadily, for a few months, as their revenue and sales tank since PPC is now abandoned. So instead of buying now, I'm going to wait until it goes even lower. Is that what ya'll think will happen? Is that a good strategy?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

OK I'm pegging a lot of money on AAPL and ultimately, hope to make a lot of money from it. I'm going to drop a few thou on it sometime this year I think.

The question is when.

I think it will probably go down, steadily, for a few months, as their revenue and sales tank since PPC is now abandoned. So instead of buying now, I'm going to wait until it goes even lower. Is that what ya'll think will happen? Is that a good strategy?

I don't think that will happen with PPC, good sales will continue, the standard of checking Amazon is good. But your assessment of the market is correct.

Seasonality is the overriding factor right now, if recent influences fade and they probably will this time of year then Apple will do what the rest of the market usually does.

And that is drop until late August to early September.

But what I was alluding to about in my other posts is that I think Intel may announce media over WiMax with the Mac and Apple software soon, If that happens buy, buy, buy !!!

I have also noticed that Steve J. seems to make his announcements very much following the seasonality of the market. He makes this announcement which could cause Apple to drop for a while just when Apple and tech usually start to drop just because of the summer doldrums, which occur ALMOST every years in tech. A couple of years ago it didn't happen for some unknown reason.

Another strange things I just thought I would bring up. The fed has seemed to do rate changes from time to time with perfect timing to help Apple. You might want to watch for that it is truly strange phenomena.

So it may take a couple of months for the big announcements.

Don't blame me if it does not work out, I am just telling you for free what I have learned over the years.

This is RISKY @#%#$ stuff, live life on the edge !!!

You might want to try this too...

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=TSO&...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Notice Tesoro took a BIG dip at the beginning of August last year, if it does it again this year then it will be a great buy, and it probably will.

That's the seasonality of gas price expectations.

• Reply 12 of 16
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

Why !?!?!?!

I have biotech stocks, sold my Apple a couple of weeks ago.

So that you can buy more in time for it to hit 80-100 again.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

So that you can buy more in time for it to hit 80-100 again.

I think that it is worth about $20-25 now. Sales are bound to hickup, if only for a couple months before the announcement. I plan to buy at 20 some time between now and the end of the year.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

The question is when.

what "MacChine" said above.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It started a slow uptick this week. Perhaps it's just a little counterwave against the sellers basing their decision on the announcement. So I think I'll wait until July or August, but I'm going to keep my eye on the stock and check Forbes weekly. ipodandanimac said something about the P/E peaking. I never took economics, what's that? But wouldn't the general consensus be that soon it will be a really good time to buy, since people are speculating if the Intel thing is good? And I of course am assuming it will be great.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

It started a slow uptick this week. Perhaps it's just a little counterwave against the sellers basing their decision on the announcement. So I think I'll wait until July or August, but I'm going to keep my eye on the stock and check Forbes weekly. ipodandanimac said something about the P/E peaking. I never took economics, what's that? But wouldn't the general consensus be that soon it will be a really good time to buy, since people are speculating if the Intel thing is good? And I of course am assuming it will be great.

I looked at Macs sales ranks on Amazon today and its AMAZING how well they are doing !!! It seems like half the machines being sold are MACchines !!

It might not be a good idea to wait, to buy !

Although I must say that whatever the price peak is during a week long Apple event that price is almost always revisited usually just for a moment sometime during the 7 days after the show.