A few random facts about new iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The cd-rw drives on the base models ($1299)actual writes at 24x speeds and re-writes at 10x, big leap from the old models. The combo writes at 12x and the super drive only 8x. So the base model cd-rw drives on the new imacs are faster then the more expensive model.

The superdrives on the new imac are the pioneer 104 models compare to the 103 of the powermacs. So the imacs superdrives are of a newer model then the current powermacs. The new drives writes cds at 8x as oppose to the old superdrives which burns at 4x.

The imac does indeed have a fan which keeps the computer quite cool, definitly much cooler than the old imac. Since the expo floor was pack with people I cant really tell you if the fan is loud or not.

The new mouse on the imac actually tracks much better then the old pro mouse. When I quickly move or jerk the old pro optical mouse it looses tracking quite easily (cursor wouldn't keep up.) When I did this with the new pro mouse on the imacs the cursor keeps up.

Oh, I got to see Steve Jobs in person today on the Apple expo floor today. He was just talking and joking amongst just a few people. All the other people nearby was just standing there just looking at him. Didnt have the nerve to go up and talk to him though and I didnt bring a camera or anything. The funniest thing I overheard when I saw Steve was a Apple rep which was helping other people with the new iMac say "Dude, I bet when he (Steve) turns around no one will be looking at the machines anymore"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Interesting and thanks for the information. What were your impressions of the LCD and the system as a whole? I know you didn't work with it long but what ever else you can add. Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The LCD on the iMac apppears to be on par of quality of the studio displays, which looks quite nice and the crispness, color, and brightness are superb.

When I spoke to the Apple rep, he says Apple recommends you hold the neck bar when moving or adding ram to the iMac. Perhaps they think the hold the machine on the base is too hard or risky since the machine is pretty top heavy.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Thanks for all the info. If you have more let us hear.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    does that mean it is the new superdrive II we are hearing about, or just a newer model of superdrive I?

did you see a small reset button like in the current iMacs?? maybe the machine never freezes!!

how about a disc eject button if a cd or dvd gets stuck??

is there only the one power on button in the back?? perhaps the apple logo is a power on or a power on button on the keyboard??

did you lift it??

how easy does the screen move and is it well weighted??

any other questions?? oh well, mine is already ordered so i guess i will find out the answers soon enough...jealous that you've already played with one...i am seriously looking for ward to it's arrival at the doorstep...maybe i should take the next three weeks off so i don't miss it...g

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    A couple of iMac questions, roadhog. Or, for that matter, anyone else currently up in Frisco, attending the Expo:

1. Is the enclosure a glossy, iBook white, OR is it more of a matte, low-glare finish? I've seen it look both ways in photos, although I'm leaning toward the matte finish. It doesn't appear to be as glossy as the iBook shell. It looks a bit more milky and dull (not in a bad way, just not super glossy like some other Apple hardware)

2. How is the action/resonse of the metal arm? Does it seem really well-made and secure? No sense that after a few hundred uses, it'll crap out? How easy is it to move? Very smooth and effortless? It looked that way during the keynote.

3. Lots of talk about the cord for the new white Pro Mouse being longer than the previous black Pro Mouse. Is it?

4. How do you think the keyboard looks with white keys? Think they'll get grungy after a while?

5. The little Pro Speakers: same size and design as before? They seem to have some white on them in some of the photos I've seen. True?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm curious: How is the picture when viewing at an angle (IOW, not totally flush with your eyes)? I ask this because I've noticed a significant difference between the 15" ASD and the 17" ASD in this area. The 17" looks nearly perfect from the side, but the 15" loses a lot in the way of brightness, color-correctness, etc.

Of course, I suppose on the iMac I can just pan the screen toward me if I need to.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    FWIW, I've dug up another curious tidbit on how Steve came up with the design for the iMac.

<a href="http://perso.wanadoo.fr/baax/Steevy/"; target="_blank">http://perso.wanadoo.fr/baax/Steevy/</a>;

• Reply 8 of 16
    The superdrive on my PowerMac QuickSilver writes CD's at 8x, not 4x. Still not that fast, but fast enough.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>FWIW, I've dug up another curious tidbit on how Steve came up with the design for the iMac.

<a href="http://perso.wanadoo.fr/baax/Steevy/"; target="_blank">http://perso.wanadoo.fr/baax/Steevy/</a>;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's just too stupid to be called funny.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Ok, maybe this was Steve's inspiration...

<a href="http://www.fyicalgary.com/htdocs/vues/photopages/plant1.html"; target="_blank">Sunflower</a>
  • Reply 11 of 16
    If the iMac has the same mini-VGA port that the iBook would that mean you could use the iBooks' AV adaptor to hook the iMac up to a TV too?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by apple.otaku:

<strong>If the iMac has the same mini-VGA port that the iBook would that mean you could use the iBooks' AV adaptor to hook the iMac up to a TV too?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well does the imac have an AV port?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    head phone jack could be it
  • Reply 14 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Well does the imac have an AV port?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The New iMac has the same RGB port as the iBook, but I haven't seen any mention of an AV port.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by King Chung Huang:

<strong>

The New iMac has the same RGB port as the iBook, but I haven't seen any mention of an AV port.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eh, I was getting the RGB port confused with the AV port. Damn.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>A couple of iMac questions, roadhog. Or, for that matter, anyone else currently up in Frisco, attending the Expo:

1. Is the enclosure a glossy, iBook white, OR is it more of a matte, low-glare finish? I've seen it look both ways in photos, although I'm leaning toward the matte finish. It doesn't appear to be as glossy as the iBook shell. It looks a bit more milky and dull (not in a bad way, just not super glossy like some other Apple hardware)

2. How is the action/resonse of the metal arm? Does it seem really well-made and secure? No sense that after a few hundred uses, it'll crap out? How easy is it to move? Very smooth and effortless? It looked that way during the keynote.

3. Lots of talk about the cord for the new white Pro Mouse being longer than the previous black Pro Mouse. Is it?

4. How do you think the keyboard looks with white keys? Think they'll get grungy after a while?

5. The little Pro Speakers: same size and design as before? They seem to have some white on them in some of the photos I've seen. True?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) The back of the LCD and the base are pretty much completely matte off-white.

2) The arm seems pretty well made and it is very easy to move the screen around. The weakest point is where the arm meets LCD because it's such a small junction and the LCD is something you can forcibly twist.

3) It looks a bit longer. I'm not sure though.

4) I like the keyboard better white.

5) Nothing except the color of the spongy padding around the speaker cone has changed.