Tiger - Password problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So here's the story.

Im obviously running Tiger. I change my password, and having that happy feeling whenever you change a password, I go to the login window to try it out. Problem is I keep typing it wrong thinking it's right. I eventually tried to reset the password. So I put in my master password like it wanted, but then everytime I'd put in a new password for my account, and verified it, it'd just shake at me. I figured it didn't like doing it while I was logged in. Maybe root would let me do it. Thankfully I had the root account enabled. Unfortunately, System Preferences in root wouldn't let me reset the password.

So I restarted. But this time, when I clicked on my name to get it to reset the password, it just said logging in, the window disappeared, and nothing happened. So now it thinks my account doesn't have a password, but it still can't get in because all my settings are still encrypted by file vault. But upon investigating further with the NetInfo Manager, my hint is still there. Thankfully, I finally remembered my account password, and now I can get into my filevault (i forgot the 's' at the end of the password if anyone is wondering ).

So, the question is, is there anyway to get the two passwords to "synchronize" with eachother? Or am I going to have to create a new account and take everything out of my filevault (if that works). And secondly, why did Tiger not want to reset my password and then totally delete it while conviently leaving everything else the same.

Any suggestions/help are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    EDIT: I used terminal to change my login passwords so they matched. It logs in now.

Does anyone still know why Tiger wouldn't reset my password and then deleted it.

And furthermore why root suddenly kept asking for a keychain password??

Sorry, and thanks for any help with Tiger's erratic behavior.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueLab.524

EDIT: I used terminal to change my login passwords so they matched. It logs in now.

Does anyone still know why Tiger wouldn't reset my password and then deleted it.

And furthermore why root suddenly kept asking for a keychain password??

Sorry, and thanks for any help with Tiger's erratic behavior.

I have a corrupted Netinfo Database file myself. I did a clean install with Tiger and used the migration assistant to move my stuff over from panther.

Do you know what causes corrupted Netinfo DB files? Is that normal?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Could it have had anything to do with file vault.

A corrupted netinfo library is pretty rare.

BTW take a backup of the DB by doing the following.

Open Terminal

$ cd /var/db

$ tar cf netinfo_date.tar netinfo

Now if your netinfo db corrupts just boot single user and untar the file.

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Could it have had anything to do with file vault.

A corrupted netinfo library is pretty rare.

BTW take a backup of the DB by doing the following.

Open Terminal

$ cd /var/db

$ tar cf netinfo_date.tar netinfo

Now if your netinfo db corrupts just boot single user and untar the file.

Dobby.

Thanks for the tip (duplicate).

The corrupt file wasn't noticed until I made a backup copy using SuperDuper. When I contacted their tech support, they walked me through deleting and creating a new file. They went above and beyond to help me out over a $20 backup program.

Bam! Everything works now.

My computer was booting off of a bad netinfo db file but would not boot off of a FW drive with the same bad file.

The only thing I can blame it on are power failures (local power company).

Btw, it happened twice to me this weekend! UGH!!!

However, now with SuperDuper, I create a daily backup of my HDD so I am ready for everything but my niece spilling sweet tea on my stuff.