[MERGED] Mac OS X Tiger for x86

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
...is a matter of when and not if.

The global curiosity about the OS will motiviate one developer or another to leak the OS onto the internet and it could spread like wildfire.

It looks like the development kits are fairly vanilla PCs - so there is a strong possibility of getting the early Intel 10.4 OS running on beige boxes. Although driver support is probably going to be an issue.

If (or more precisely when) this happens.

Apple will make noises and get grumpy.... but...

What what would be the outcome of a Tiger in the wild?

Carni

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Ok, no taker? This is my guess...

A leaked copy of Tiger for Intel would first get into the hands of hard core enthusiasts, Hobbyist computer users who are not aftraid to try something new and not worried by installing something that strictly they are not supposed to.

In most cases the OS would probably not run at all. The package would probably have a limited selection of drivers and hardware support. So only enthusiasts would have the means to get it working.

1) Linux users would probably be the first to try out a leaked Intel Tiger.

To see what the fuss is about.

I can only guess that their likely conclusion would be that Tiger really is a lot like Linux, except that it is much more functional, better designed and easier to administer. This "good press" could ultimately benefit Apple.

2) Technicaly curious Window users might also give it a go too.

This also could have a positive effect. It does not take long for people to disover the superiority of OS X over XP. Although keen Windows gamers would lament the inability for OS X to run Windows games natively.

Apple are saying (unsurprisingly) that non Apple hardware will not be able to run OS X. To say anything else would be like declaring war on Microsoft while kissing goodbye to your hardware company at the same moment. Not smart.

But these are interesting times. Apple is a hardware company, who is effectively betting the farm on its software. And Microsoft is a software company who are going all-in for a piece of hardware (the XBox)

I would not be surprised if in 3 years time we see Apple doing interesting deals with Sony (selling a slick multimedia OS) - and HP (selling a bulletproof business OS).

Microsoft should be worried.

Carni
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    It's already out there, from what I hear.

Sad since this was given to developers, but I guess this is the modern digital morals.

The BIG question is whether or not Apple cares. Of course, publicly they will scream bloody murder.

But, it does get PC users out there using OSX who would not today. They can always patch it in the future to make it not work with non-Apple hardware or focus on Leopard being amazing and very hard to run on non-Apple hardware.

Maybe this is a marketing move...something M$ was accused of many years ago.

And while I have my tin foil hat on...maybe this explains why Tiger was rushed out the door with so many bugs. Coventional wisdom was that it was either for products which required it or to meet wall street numbers.

Since no products came, everyone has assumed it was to hit earnings. Given the rumors of tons of excess inventory, maybe this is correct.

But given the Intel announcement, another possibility is Jobs wanted to make sure Leopard blows Longhorn away. And given Longhorn is basically a copy of Tiger, Jobs wants to get started on Leopard and a serious upgrade as soon as possible.

Who knows...fun to speculate about...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Yes. Some say it has already happened...

http://www.shapeofdays.com/2005/06/mac_os_x_on_int.html

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/6012/

The touch-paper is lit. Let's watch the fireworks.

Carni
  • Reply 4 of 27
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i've downloaded it ... it's much Snappier?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    It'll be interesting to see how this proceeds. As a viral marketing stunt its not a bad idea... probably one reason the developer build is not that locked down. But it is a developer build and as such is unsupported. Anyone willing to try it out knows what they're getting in to.

Personally I'd love to lease a development rig, I just don't need, so it becomes nothing more than an expensive toy.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    peepeeseepeepeesee Posts: 100member
    You think their likely conclusion will be it's easier to administer and more functional than linux?

Have you ever met/talked to the typical lunix fanboy?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    The torrent is a hoax people.

Give the internet back to others.

Thank you.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    This is just my macnut mania. but what if the devloper ver. having been released into the wild. is a developer version of a trojan horse.

that realy is designed to bug report/systemprofile, back to apple . if it were installed on lots of other intel based boxes, all with differnt configs. of hardware. some may work a little, some better than others. seems to me it would be much cheaper than having dedicated teams, buying other peoples boxes, and doing the testing in house. getting some of the most tallented homebrewers around the world to make it work. of course if it does work for 'em. having spent the time, and seen even modest results. buy into

tailermade and optimised hardware from apple. for the same price as the next wintell box they were going to get in the next two years any way.

in very short time, apple would have an installed user base within the year.

ready for the {Mac-Intel-a-tosh} switch.

OH, YEA , almost forgot. Stevie Apple Seed is sowing the sod.

now that the surface is broken. and remember Apples need a frost to bloom next spring.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Oh, yea sorry about my grammer and speelling. i almost cut my mildle finger off to day, and im wacked on pain killers pecking out keystrokes left handed.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

You think their likely conclusion will be it's easier to administer and more functional than linux?

Have you ever met/talked to the typical lunix fanboy?

Well reading Slashdot, I get the impression that everyone who actually wants to use a computer, rather than just tinker with settings and config files, has already switched to OS X.

Carni
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Oh, come on, switching is hip now. " THINK DIFFERENT INSIDE THE BOX" will be apple's

new catch frase.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    this may or may not be proof...

http://rssmac.altervista.org/video/
  • Reply 13 of 27
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    ^ Well, that's all the proof I need.

• Reply 14 of 27
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Oh man,

That just isn't right!

On a DELL!!

Feel so dirty!

must go take shower.

<shudder>
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Oh man,

That just isn't right!

On a DELL!!

Feel so dirty!

must go take shower.

<shudder>

Read this thread, especially the last few posts.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=55112
  • Reply 16 of 27
    There is also this guy, Sir_RamDac, on a german forum (from Gizmodo).

About This Mac says: "Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz".

So ***apparently***, it's not PearPC emulating a PowerPC processor.

And there is no VNC icon in the Dock.

Well, those two things could be hacked though...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cosmos 1999

Still fake...you can see how Processor and Memory was shifted to the right. The info on the processor and memory should roughly be left-aligned with the M in the 'More info...' button text. In Sir-RamDac's crappy rez photo (you'd wonder why nobody has a good high-rez camera when talking pictures of stuff like this), you'll notice that the info is left-aligned with the 'r'.

If you look at Steve's keynote or your About This Mac window, you'll notice what I mean.

Anyone with Photoshop or even Paint could have done this...and Sir_RamDac still managed to do a poor job.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

He actually write that its a theme.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    onyx-pbonyx-pb Posts: 26member
    Quote:

The version of OSXVNC I have can be installed as a service and run invisibily (no dock icon). The link to the video was down when I went to have a look but I've just tried VNCing to my Mac from a Tosh laptop and the screen redraws aren't quick enough to show genie effect transition and thats over a 100Mb link.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    still wrong.

now I showered for nothing!