Apple to refresh retail copies of Tiger with 10.4.2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Not a moment too soon.

Let's hope this fixes a boat load of the Tiger bugs. 80 bug fixes sounds way too low. I hope that is just the major bugs fixed, and there are a few hundred smaller ones fixed.

Tiger is awesome, but the bugs are disgraceful. What the hell was Apple thinking?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    Yes, the check boxes for hiding applications at startup and searching for invisible files like the Desktop exist, but they don't work in 10.4.1. Don't think so, try it.

Here's a quick and dirty test on the invisible files issues: Click on the Desktop, press Cmd-F, select Kind Invisible, enter text Desktop, and see what comes up...nothing. This is an important functionality for uninstalling misbehaving applications. It was trivial in Panther to get rid of all traces of Symantec's Norton Utilities, but impossible in Tiger if you neglected to delete it before upgrading. I'm sure that won't be the last invisible stuff that we'll want to find in the future.

Or, how about testing the hide issue at login: Open the Accounts Preferences pane, select Login Items, click the + button, select Safari and Mail, click the Hide button, quit System Preferences, log out and back in, and watch them both startup and remain visible on the Desktop.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    dalshardalshar Posts: 5member
    I hope it fixes all of the extra spinning rainbows of death in almost all applications. Strangely this delay seems to affect apple stuff most.

And the agonising wait after electing to print something.

Tiger has also seems to have done something nasty to TypeIt4Me; in some applications (MS Word seems the worst) there is a verrrry long wait until the triggered text appears.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    dave marshdave marsh Posts: 349member
    I've had few or no spinning rainbow issues with Tiger. I did an Archive and Install when I setup MacOS X 10.4, then I Repaired Permissions, ran Disk Warrior from a startup FireWire Drive, and iDefragged the volume. After restart on the upgraded Tiger volume and logging in, I left it running for awhile until the Spotlight indexing was done (blinking dot in magnifying glass icon went away) and did a graceful Shutdown. I then rebooted, startup spins dropped from ~15 to ~10, and everything's been fine since. I'm not saying Tiger's not without bugs, but Apple's apps suffering from recurring spinning rainbows is not an issue for me (iLife '05).
  • Reply 25 of 37
    somynonasomynona Posts: 40member
    Any word on Quartz 2D Extreme? Still off by default?
  • Reply 26 of 37
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Somynona

I'm not buying Tiger until this is enabled an working so this question also interests me.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dalshar

I hope it fixes all of the extra spinning rainbows of death in almost all applications. Strangely this delay seems to affect apple stuff most.

And the agonising wait after electing to print something.

Tiger has also seems to have done something nasty to TypeIt4Me; in some applications (MS Word seems the worst) there is a verrrry long wait until the triggered text appears.

same here, next month when I finish summer semester I plan to nuke the drive and start from scratch. I think my mistake was upgrading and not nuking it in the first place, that is one thing I learned in the windows world, if a new OS comes out, forget the upgrade and reinstall the system, hell for an end user system a reinstall once every ~18 months is probably good.

• Reply 28 of 37
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

I've had few or no spinning rainbow issues with Tiger. I did an Archive and Install when I setup MacOS X 10.4, then I Repaired Permissions, ran Disk Warrior from a startup FireWire Drive, and iDefragged the volume. After restart on the upgraded Tiger volume and logging in, I left it running for awhile until the Spotlight indexing was done (blinking dot in magnifying glass icon went away) and did a graceful Shutdown. I then rebooted, startup spins dropped from ~15 to ~10, and everything's been fine since. I'm not saying Tiger's not without bugs, but Apple's apps suffering from recurring spinning rainbows is not an issue for me (iLife '05).

with a dual 2.7 and 3 gigs o'ram, you better not have rainbows...
  • Reply 29 of 37
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i'd like apple or someone else to release a spotlight plug-in to index media as it's mounted, and then be able to specify searches of indexes (indices?) of offline media. that would be killer.

Brilliant! and DVDs too.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

I just ordered Tiger today and my order detail says: "OS X V10.4.2 "TIGER" RETAIL-INT" So I guess its not only Canadian store. It also says that it will ship "on or before June 13th"

What store is this, Please?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

What store is this, Please?

Don't jump up and down just yet. 10.4.2 isn't out. Apparently this is just 10.4.0.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Somynona

Off.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    a_greer:

The 2.7GHz is still due-in (I just couldn't resist adding it to my signature since it's on the way ! ). I've installed MacOS X 10.4.1 on 700MHz G3 iBooks with only 384MB of RAM, up to dual 2.5GHz G5 Towers with 2GB of RAM, with the same success.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    dalshardalshar Posts: 5member
    A quick rundown for those who are curious about my plethora of rainbows.

I have a G5 dual 2ghz with 1.5 gb of ram. 70 plus gig of empty HD space on my startup drive. So I think that I should not have a problem with processor speed, ram or virtual memory write space.

I installed Tiger choosing the upgrade option, after cloning my Panther setup to an external HD.

I used Super Duper to do the clone.

Before installing I repaired permissions, repaired the drive with Disk First Aid and ran Disk Warrior ( Panther version).

After the clone and installation completed I ran the Apple repair stuff again and as soon as the Tiger version of Disk Warrior became available I downloaded it, made the new Disk Warrior startup disk and ran it.

I have updated all of my third party software to Tiger versions as they become available.

As a whole, my mac does startup faster, although I only restart when a software update neccesitates this, and in general I feel that the Finder and window opening is snappier than with Panther.

However, as I stated in my earlier post, that rainbow does appear more frequently. For example, it is my practice when printing something that I know does not need me to change anything in the print dialogue box, to hit command P, then the return key to dismiss it. I do this all in one motion.

In Panther this resulted in an almost instantaneous start of my Canon Printer. In Tiger, there is a one or two second pause, the dialogue box appears, hangs there and then disappears, and five to eight seconds later the printer begrudgingly clatters to life. Once printing actually starts it is very fast. Just that agonising pause.

I have enabled Quartz Extreme 2D via the Quartz Debug Application and have not noticed any change. Perhaps I was hoping for more rather than less, perfection is perhaps only appreciated if there is a minor flaw, Spotlight is wonderful and it alone is worth the upgrade price and an extra rainbow or two.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Just received MacOS X 10.4.2 - Retail this morning. The part no is M9639Z/A. Haven't had time to install yet so cannot confirm if it is actually 10.4.2 inside. But it better be

From the UK that is
  • Reply 36 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pioneer01

Just received MacOS X 10.4.2 - Retail this morning. The part no is M9639Z/A. Haven't had time to install yet so cannot confirm if it is actually 10.4.2 inside. But it better be

From the UK that is

Let us know. I would be unusual for them to release a product that was still in testing before the update itself became available.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pioneer01

From the UK that is

Post the build number when you get it loaded, please. Apple never tells us which build is the GM.